Ex-Police Chief Edward Fleury Found Not Guilty in Boy's Uzi Death

This is a discussion on Ex-Police Chief Edward Fleury Found Not Guilty in Boy's Uzi Death within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by ABCNews: Ex-Police Chief Edward Fleury Found Not Guilty in Boy's Uzi Death Christopher Bizilj, 8, Died While Firing Uzi Submachine Gun at ...

Thread: Ex-Police Chief Edward Fleury Found Not Guilty in Boy's Uzi Death

As reported by ABCNews:

Christopher Bizilj, 8, Died While Firing Uzi Submachine Gun at Weapons Expo

By MARY PLUMMER
    Jan. 14, 2010

The former police chief who oversaw the 2008 gun expo where an 8-year-old boy accidentally shot himself in the face with an Uzi submachine gun was acquitted today after an emotional trial that featured video playback of the boy's last moments.

Edward Fleury broke down in tears as the jury announced he was found not guilty of involuntary manslaughter of Christopher Bizilj on their first full day of deliberations at Hampden Superior Court in Massachusetts. Fleury was also cleared of three charges of furnishing machine guns to minors. He could have faced up to 20 years in prison...

The full story can be found at; http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-chie...ry?id=12615703

- Janq

P.S.
    For the record...I am STUNNED.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

For the record...I am STUNNED.
    Same here. But I am pleased with the verdict.

Michael

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Nevertheless you can tell quickly by looking at the man that he has been forever changed by the affair.

I was also stunned. Massachusetts. Former Police Chief. Machine gun. Children. I guess the ninnies up there chose "trust the police" over "guns are bad."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Glad he got off. I hear the family has filed a civil suit over their son's death as well. Um, yeah, you don't have enough common sense to just tell your kid 'no' so blame other people when the situation goes bad. Typical...

Don't allow your children to do things you are not familar with and know if your child has the experience to do what you are allowing them to do.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Well, but this case hinged on the argument that it is inherently dangerous for a young boy to shoot an UZI, and that the Chief was negligent for allowing this to take place.

Yet, the boy's father and legal guardian was present during the entire event, and was OK with his son shooting the Uzi.

So who was more legally responsible for the boy shooting the Uzi? His father, or the Police Chief?

If one argues that the Police Chief must go to prison, then I think that you also then have to say that the father needs jail time too.

But in reality, I think that both men have suffered enough over this incident.

VIP Member
    From the article::

"We are eternally grateful to [the jury] for giving Mr. Fleury back his life," said his defense lawyer Rosemary Curran Scapicchio. "He had been pretty stoic throughout the trial, it was such an emotional relief that it was over."

During the trial,Scapicchio argued that Christopher's father bore some responsibility for the boy's death for allowing, even insisting, that Christopher be allowed to shoot the powerful automatic weapon.

Prosecutors said they didn't charge Charles Bizilj because people who should have known that firing the gun was too dangerous had informed his decision to let his son fire the Uzi. As prosecutor William Bennett left the court house today he added that he didn't charge Bizilj because, "I thought he was punished enough."
    end

I am glad the chief was acquitted. This was a tragic event. Shamefully Politicized by a prosecuting attorney. If anyone was at fault it was the child's father, who ignored warnings that the gun was to much fort he boy. Even the headline hungry Prosecutor acknowledged the family had suffered enough. Bennett seemed like he was using his office to push a political agenda.

They most definitely needed to have an age/weight limit of some kind in place, but Me Myself and I, were it my child, there is no way in H.E. Double Hockey Sticks that they would have even been considered to fire the weapon.Were the organizers stupid in that regard???

I dunno.??
    Everyone involved was horribly forever affected by what happened that day.

Now they say according to the article that the two men who own the co. that supplied the firearm are going to trial for essentially the same thing.
    Why???

From article:

Carl Guiffre of Hartford, Conn, and Domenico Spano of New Milford, Conn., supplied the guns for the expo. Both men are charged with involuntary manslaughter for their role in Christopher's death and they await trial
    end

This is the equivalent to charging the car salesman who sells a car to someone , and then that someone goes out and hit and kills someone with said car, and then holding the salesman responsible.

Whenever most lawyers/Prosecuting Attorneys get involved, it usually goes to hell-in-a-hand basket rather quickly.

Sorry MitchellCT,
    I like you though!!!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links