More Guns = A CHANCE to Fight Back

This is a discussion on More Guns = A CHANCE to Fight Back within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; More Guns, Less Crime? http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...-to-fight-back In Arizona, the shootings have led some citizens to call for more guns, not more gun control. Why is that? ...

Thread: More Guns = A CHANCE to Fight Back

Exclamation More Guns = A CHANCE to Fight Back

More Guns, Less Crime?

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...-to-fight-back

In Arizona, the shootings have led some citizens to call for more guns, not more gun control. Why is that?
    A Chance to Fight Back

Updated January 12, 2011, 11:41 PM
    David Kopel is the research director of the Independence Institute and an adjunct professor of law at the University of Denver. He is the co-author of “Gun Control and Gun Rights.”

When President William McKinley was assassinated by an anarchist, he was succeeded by Theodore Roosevelt. The new president promptly started carrying a semiautomatic Fabrique Nationale pistol for protection at public events, and keeping it on his bedside table at night. “I should have a chance of shooting the assassin before he could shoot me, if he were near me,” Roosevelt explained (in "Roosevelt As We Knew Him," by Frederick Wood) When Roosevelt visited Harvard University, the school’s president, Charles W. Eliot, was chagrined to discover Roosevelt strapping on a holster in his room, ignoring the Massachusetts law restricting concealed handguns.

Theodore’s niece Eleanor obtained a revolver shortly after becoming First Lady. “I carried it religiously,” she recalled.

This was fascinating to me as a history teacher because I hadn't known the bit about any of the Roosevelt family carrying concealed. LEAST of all, ELEANOR! You know, for the FIRST time ever, Clinton, Bush and Obama are going to lose their US Secret Service protective details after a certain amount of time in the years after they leave office. Protection unto natural death is no longer the norm. I wonder how many of them will hire their own protection details (Xe? Triple Canopy? Wackenhut?) or will opt to carry their own firearms like the rest of us mere mortals?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

LOL, I just posted something very much like this on another thread.

"you want to make people safer, remove some of the restrictions on where we can carry."
    "most shootings like the AZ one are done in gun free zones by design."
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Links