Bucket of Steam?

This is a discussion on Bucket of Steam? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There is an old tradition in the Navy of sending newbies of various wild goose chases for such things as "20 mils of line current" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bucket of Steam?

Bucket of Steam?

There is an old tradition in the Navy of sending newbies of various wild goose chases for such things as "20 mils of line current" or having them stand watch for the"mail buoy at sea. There is one story that I remember where the newbie managed to turn the tables.

A Chief Machinist Mate had a work party working in the engine room and decided to have some fun with one of his new E2s. He told the newbie that he needed a bucket of steam to make the cleaning easier. He handed him a bucket and sent him to the boiler room. Several hours later the guy came back with the bucket full of water. When the chief jumped all over him about his absence and the said he had sent him for steam, not water. the E2 replied, it is condensed steam, just add heat, Chief.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    LOL. Yup, go get an engineer's punch (ouch).

I have photos of an obnoxious ensign calibrating the radar by standing on the focsle with a tin foil-covered paddle in each hand.

Shooting basketballs out of the torpedo tubes across the parking lot... Those were the days.

Feeding the shaft seals.

Sending the NUB's to get the serial numbers of the water-slugs that were shot for training.

Mail-buoy ops were always a favorite (before email)

trouble-shooting and looking up parts in the supply system for the MX-399/U (ie: flashlights)

Sending the NUB radioman down to the goat-locker looking for a PRQ-E7 ( THE second-most spectactular butt-chewing I ever got)

Shooting tennis balls and soda cans out of the three-inch launchers (gotta try the basketball one)

There's a BUNCH more.......I'll post a few more later.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    As a E-1 I got a MM punch (ouch!) on my first float. About an hour after I fell for the MM punch the Air Dept. Master Chief Tells me to go put on my best uniform (blue shirt) and head to the flight deck in 15 min. to be a Rainbow Side-buoy. I said OK Master Chief and ran off to hide. The whole time I'm thinking "He won't get me". He saw me ten minutes later on the mess decks and told me again along with a "Don't be late!". I said OK and took off again laughing as I went. I was laughing at how smart I was right up until the sound of rotor blades thumping made it to my ears.

Cinc Pac fleet was landing and I really was supposed to be a side-buoy. Wow, was that Master chief pissed at me! What a butt chewing! I got every crap detail that came down the pike too. Toilet broken, turds everywhere? Get atctimmy! Someone has to work late or an extra mid shift? Get atctimmy! On and on until the Master Chief retired about four months later. <--- Thank goodness he was short and I had a light at the end of the tunnel. If I had to do a whole deployment with him I think I would have cracked.

ETA: A side-buoy is one of the guys you see standing at attention on each side of the red carpet when a VIP shows up. A Rainbow side-buoy is one of every color flight deck jersey lined up the same way.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Retired MM here... do not forget the sea bat.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    Retired MM here... do not forget the sea bat.....
    "The boatswains mates have captured a rare sea bat. All interested hands may proceed to the fo'c'sle to see it."

Used to send new Marines to supply to pick up a box of grid squares.

Among many pranks, we used to send our newbie guards up the power pole on the missile site to "turn on the site lights". Also, came up out of the generator room with a soda pop once and a guard asked "hey, where'd you get that?" after telling him we had a pop machine down there and getting .50 off him I went down to get him a soda and when I came back up empty handed I told him, "sorry man, the machine ate your quarters...".
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Let's see:

Relative bearing grease
    "request to enter maneuvering to blow the edo"
    TDU weights under the mattress was another good prank.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I got sent out to maintenance for a "ST1". Guy made me sign for a large box that weighed about 60 pounds. I toted that back to operations only to find a big rock inside.....A STONE. Then, 'cause I'd signed for it, I had to haul it all the way back to get released from the darn thing.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Oh man.... so many...
    Army:
    Box of grid squares
    Chemlight batteries
    Can of squelch
    PRC E8, ST1, BA 1100Ns

Army automotive:
    Blinker fluid (left and right)
    Winter air in the HMMWV tires
    check the air in the 5th wheel
    exhaust samples

Mech infantry:
    test the Bradley shocks by jumping up and down on it (some 27 tons of vehicle)
    Look for soft spots on the armor with a ball peen hammer
    Check the seals in the turret via the "Boom test" (shout "Boom" down the bore of the 25MM)
    Keys to the turret
    Unscrew the turret (manually rotate counter-clockwise 13 or so times)

CQ Runner:
    Call down to the 24 hour shoppette and find out what time they close
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

VIP Member
    Air Force

10 feet of flightline
    1 gallon of prop wash
    Keys to start airplane
    Go find throttle actuator
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Visual contact on Golf Uniform One One.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    The keys to the drop zone
    A box of Bravo Alpha 1100 Novembers (BA1100Ns)
    An AN/PRC ("p r i c k") E-6
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Big smiles I miss it..............................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links