All Movies have Silly Gun Sounds...

This is a discussion on All Movies have Silly Gun Sounds... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; All Movies have Silly Gun Sounds... watching The American w/ George Clooney. he's making a custom rifle for a killer chick and she puts it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

watching The American w/ George Clooney. he's making a custom rifle for a killer chick and she puts it together with classically over done mechanical sounds.

Inserting the clip sounds like a car crash, pulling back the bolt sounds like a train wreck, screwing on the silencer sounds like a Helicopter...etc..

The exaggerated "sounds of a gun" are comical yet 'normal" it's what's expected by audiences...all that sound is manufactured and digitally placed in post production.
    Even on low budget TV shows. Gun make Gigantic Noises.

The good news is that the mere sight of a gun will scare some people into submission and you won't need to fire it.

I have a light / laser and it makes my Glock 30 look scarey...a sound effect generator w/ scarey noises could be handy. Something that could emit a loud "Cha-Chunk" at 20 feet.
    Last edited by rstickle; January 19th, 2011 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Prohibited language removed

Yep, works sort of like a dog whistle!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I think my favorite was Resident Evil 2.

Milla Jovovich wandering through the street. Sees a police car, and the camera cuts to the shotgun rack.

Without anyone even touching the shotgun, you hear the noise of the action being cycled.
    Hakkaa päälle!

You remember that guy in police academy who could do sound effects with his voice??? We need to practice that, then we will not even need to draw a gun just make all the noises so the BGS will run away.

If they didn't raise the sound levels during gun manipulations, most people would not know what was going on.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I really like the show "Burn Notice" and in particular enjoy the Fiona character's attitude. She just loves to blow things up. However one of the dumbest things is in one of the show's promos where Fi loudly racks her 870? and ejects an obviously live round.

VIP Member
    I realy enjoyed the show "Lost," but they had the WORST gun sound effects I have ever seen/heard. Every, EVERY single time they showed a gun, someone touched a gun, someone moved a gun from one position to another, or someone even LOOKED at a gun, there would be an over-loud sound of a cocking hammer (or similar). It got to the point where it was ruining the show for me, it was SO bad. I can normally overlook all the silly gun errors in movies and TV, but these were SO constant and SO loud it was impossible...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

The guns are so loud to operate, yet after a gun fight where they expend hundreds of rounds. Everyone can hear just fine and have a normal conversation. The movie Black Hawk Down is the only exception I can think of one character goes deft in it.

VIP Member
    one character goes deft in it
    Hmm, I didn't know that loud noises could make you more adept and skillful.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I like trying to spot the small stuff.
    One movie, a swat team was entering an apartment building with AR15s and you could see the end of the .22 mags, sticking out the bottom of the supposed AR15 mags. Some of the WWII movies, the MG34/42s sound just like Browning 1919s in rate of fire.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    My favorite is "military" movies. Anytime a "delta operator" moves from one cover to the next, he must rack the slide as he squats behind it, then rack it again as punctuation to his supercool one-liner before moving to the next position.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    I can't remember what I was watching not that long ago - it wasn't that good. The thing that got me laughing was the sound of a hammer being cocked - on a GLOCK!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Chambering a 12 gauge will cause world peace, the 2012 Miss America talent winner will rack an 870.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member
    Not a gun sound but I get a laugh out of someone sneaking around with a 1911 and the hammer is down, then they suddenly start blasting away without cocking the hammer or racking the slide.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That's funny, just the other day we where watching a rented DVD that had a gun fight in a warehouse (semi auto pistols,concrete floors) and I commented on how fake it was because you never heard, or saw, spent casings hitting the floor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links