Congresswoman announces plans to carry, NC

This is a discussion on Congresswoman announces plans to carry, NC within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I applaud her for deciding to provide for her own safety but congress should recognize the full force and intent of the 2nd amendment. Ellmers ...

Thread: Congresswoman announces plans to carry, NC

VIP Member

I applaud her for deciding to provide for her own safety but congress should recognize the full force and intent of the 2nd amendment.

Ellmers plans to carry gun in public
    Lillington, N.C. In the wake of a mass shooting that critically injured one of her fellow lawmakers, Republican 2nd District Congresswoman Renee Ellmers said Thursday that she plans to carry a gun when making public appearances.

"We have to protect ourselves. We know that. That is something we have always been cognizant of, Ellmers said. "There have been times in the past I have carried my weapon, and I will probably continue to do so. Some days I might have it. Some days I might not."
    http://www.wral.com/news/local/politics/story/8977434/
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

She's not my rep, but I live in her district. She took the place of Bob "Who're you" Etheridge.

ETA--I really like my sheriff. He's interviewed in the video clip.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I hope she would encourage her staff to do the same.

Great step shes making. Should be an example to the rest.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Good for her but she could have been doing it before the Tuscon event. It's kind of like the anti argument of "nothing like that ever happens to me" and why carrry a gun. Then the unthinkable happens.

I wonder how many "antis" in Congress who denounce gun rights will "secretly" begin to carry? No political statement, just wondering.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Well i wouldnt "publicly carry if Iw ere them anyways, especialy holding a press conference to do so....
    Last edited by jwhite75; January 21st, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    No smarter making the announcement than someone wearing a CC badge. Maybe she'll get some political points with some, but she just DECREASED her personal safety and increased opposition to her among some.

I've no problem with her carrying, or wearing a vest at certain events or both, or that and hiring armed security, but announcing it seems to me like driving around town with all sorts of stickers on your car and clothing; its a good way to attract morons and the not so moronic who might just figure a way to harm her with a workaround the possibility that she carries.

Just silly as a CCW badge IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I hope she would encourage her staff to do the same.
    Exactly! This would in effect give them an armed guard at all times. No reason to spend millions on hiring guards if the entire staff is armed.

Michael

I applaud her for taking the stance and so publicly supporting the right to carry. She could have simply started carrying and not made any announcement, yes, but I think her public declaration is good for the cause even if not so good for her personally.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

So .... are they starting to understand how we feel every day ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

She understands..."More Guns, Less Crime"...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    No smarter making the announcement than someone wearing a CC badge. Maybe she'll get some political points with some, but she just DECREASED her personal safety and increased opposition to her among some.
    My Congressman's office sent out an announcement that simply said that he will keep everyone guessing as to whether he himself is armed or not. They said that they have no plans to tell anyone any information at all about what security measures he is taking for his protection.

Its called leadership. Showing others the way.

Michael

I live in South Carolina and applaud this congresswomen from NC announcing this....

My state Govenor Nikki Haley also has a CWP, and she I am positive carrys daily... Glad to see others doing the same! Another win for Gun Rights!

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Good for her but she could have been doing it before the Tuscon event. It's kind of like the anti argument of "nothing like that ever happens to me" and why carrry a gun. Then the unthinkable happens.

I wonder how many "antis" in Congress who denounce gun rights will "secretly" begin to carry? No political statement, just wondering.
    Ellmers had her permit before even running, and made her pro-carry position a part of her campaign. She probably was already carrying whenever she could.

Sponsored Links