Krav Maga belt test in March

This is a discussion on Krav Maga belt test in March within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was told last night by my instructors that they want me to test out of level 1 Krav Maga in March. We are talking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Krav Maga belt test in March

Krav Maga belt test in March

I was told last night by my instructors that they want me to test out of level 1 Krav Maga in March.

We are talking about a 4 hour test, harder than my Wife's upcoming Black Belt test in TKD. Needless to say when they looked at me when they announced it I turned around to make sure no one was behind me that they were talking to. Nope, the Sr. Instructor was looking right at me.

The last belt test made one guy throw up 3 times, we'll see if I can break that record.

The dynamics of the majority of my classes are as such:

• 3 of the 4 instructors are former Army.
    • We have 1 former Marine Infantry officer
    • Another guy, also going for level one, is a stout former Air Force guy and current Reservist
    • Another guy who is belted in Akido and is preparing to go to Annapolis then to the Marines
    • I am former Army

As you can see, there is NO giving up in this group and we all push each other as hard as we can, and yes at times you can tell we have a mix of branches in the class; from time to time the others in the class look at us all a bit funny when we are encouraging each other to "hit me hard".
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That's interesting. I have heard from several sources that Krav stays away from belt tests and anything that would cause it to be viewed as "sport" instead of combat.

I don't know how authentic my info is, and I suppose there may be some differences in viewpoint among instructors etc.

Level 1 Krav? I could see what you are talking about for Level 3, maybe, but a 4 hour test for level 1????????

Not saying you aren't getting great training etc. I'm just puzzled. They did no testing at the school my son went to and I don't test; though I think we have strayed way away from a formal Krav curriculum and added lots of stuff from other arts as well.

Just puzzled.

Anyway, best of luck. No matter what you call it, the more you learn and the fitter you get, the better.

Part of the test is review, and we are assessed during the review time as well as actual test time.

According to the official International Krav Maga Federation site for the US, there are 5 levels. More if you count the Intro and LEO/Military. I didn't do an intro, I just jumped right in to Level 1.

What I am most worried about is the "sparring" at the end, this aggression drill reminds me more of a gang initiation than anything else.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    What I am most worried about is the "sparring" at the end, this aggression drill reminds me more of a gang initiation than anything else.
    Is this the one where you simulate defending against multiple attackers around you in a circle? I've not done that because I take private lessons, one on one, but my son went through that in his class elsewhere.

Again, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Is this the one where you simulate defending against multiple attackers around you in a circle? I've not done that because I take private lessons, one on one, but my son went through that in his class elsewhere.

Again, good luck.
    Yup, it sure is. Last night I showed a HS kid that just because I'm "old" I can still hit. It was pretty funny to see his reaction.

-Paco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Yup, it sure is. Last night I showed a HS kid that just because I'm "old" I can still hit. It was pretty funny to see his reaction.
    Like you said, gang initiation.

Good luck.

Sponsor
    Good luck with the test up. Krav Maga was the best training I participated in. Real world stuff, not jumping, spinning and breaking boards. That stuff is fun and great exercise but not so useful in a knock down drag out situation.

Unfortunately, the school I attended dropped the Krav charter and turned into a black belt mill. After I had already paid for 2 years in advance!

Again, Good Luck!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I never got into Krav Maga, but have fought someone who was a level 3 in krav maga. In a Cage fight right after I got out of the Marines.. I will say it took all of my jiu-jitsu and karate training to win the fight, because he was tough as nails...

Good luck on your test man, I have been thinking of trying it myself to expand my Skillsets:)

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Good luck with the test up. Krav Maga was the best training I participated in. Real world stuff, not jumping, spinning and breaking boards. That stuff is fun and great exercise but not so useful in a knock down drag out situation.

Unfortunately, the school I attended dropped the Krav charter and turned into a black belt mill. After I had already paid for 2 years in advance!

Again, Good Luck!
    I would agree on part, but not on the other.. Breaking boards and bricks has its usefulness in a fight, because it makes your hands and feet stronger, and teaches you how to push all your energy into a single punch, which if the person knows how to use it, could be one devastating blow to any individual.

Jumping aorund and all the junk makes me laugh:):):) and alot of the exercises i did in my martial arts training were stretching which is good for ya lol
    surefire7 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koontzy View Post
    Jumping aorund and all the junk makes me laugh:):):) and alot of the exercises i did in my martial arts training were stretching which is good for ya lol
    Actually, I have benefited a lot from warm up stretching exercises and from the stretching and balance needed for kick-boxing.
    I think that even at my age (68 next month) I'm getting a great deal of benefit in flexibility and balance; almost more important than the H2H as far as keeping my old parts working. I know it isn't for everyone, and lots of folks my age can't or shouldn't, but I think I'd shrivel up in a chair and croak if I couldn't do this stuff -- which is good for both mind and body.

Even at 37 it does me a lot of good, especially with my history of both knees and that torn calf issue I had a few years ago. This keeps me moving, I have lost 10 Lbs of fat and have increased my endurance past what I was doing in TKD.

I found it interesting when the former Marine in our class told me this has a lot of simliarities to MCMAP.

-Paco

Well, I passed. It took the whole 4 hours to test and my bruises lasted the whole week after.

It was a serious accomplishment for me, I was unable to catch my breath several times, and I yaked once. The good thing is, for me anyway, we had a HS wrestler testing and he tossed his cookies first .

I'm not sure if you can view this or not, but here is a video of a warm up we were doing before the test.

-Paco

Sponsor
    Let me be the first(here) to congratulate you!
    Ain't it a great big boost to the old ego when the young pups give out first?!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    Congrats.

Congratulations!! Is your school also a Bas Rutten fight club?
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links