Police Academy

Police Academy

This is a discussion on Police Academy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey, I'm going to be going to the local Police Academy in April and hopefully get a job with the Sheriff's Office once I've graduated. ...

Thread: Police Academy

Police Academy

Hey, I'm going to be going to the local Police Academy in April and hopefully get a job with the Sheriff's Office once I've graduated. I'd like to know if any of the LEOs on the forum have any tips for getting in shape for the PAT. Right now I run 10-minute miles and I have absolutely no upper body strength so I can't do push ups or pull ups. I just got a membership at the gym and I'm lifting weights to try and build some muscle. Thanks!

Get someone knowledgeable to help you with building your upper body strength. Push ups and pull ups will most likely be required in the academy. IIRC fifteen push ups and five-ten pullups are relatively standard. More importantly, upper body strength is very important in being able to defend yourself, once you enter into LE.
    I'm a step away from seventy and I can drop and do twenty-five push ups at any given moment. Just an example, not a brag, many can do better.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Well a 10 min mile isnt horrible. You probably just need to practice the push ups...I dont know about the pull ups our state academy has removed them from our PT test. I never could do one. I am big heavy and long armed. 6'3" 285 with a 75" wingspan. That a lot of distnace to move a lot of weight. Good luck.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

You must successfully complete a Physical Agility test (P.A.T.). This test is approved by the Criminal Justice Institute Standards and Training Commission and is currently being utilized by training centers throughout the State of Florida.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission approved a new 60 hour physical training course for the Law Enforcement Academy and a 40 hour physical training course for the Corrections Academy. These new courses are in addition to the current 80 hour Defensive Tactics course. In order for a student to be successful in the academy and to prevent injuries during physical fitness and defensive tactics training, there is a recommended minimum level of fitness prior to entering the academy. Each student will be tested during the first week of the academy and again at the end of the academy to measure improvement in overall physical fitness. Listed are the recommended entry-level fitness standards for all recruits:

-Complete a 1.5 mile run in 18 minutes or less
    -Complete at least 15 push-ups in one minute
    -Complete at least 25 sit-ups in one minute
    -Leap vertically at least 12 inches above their reach
    -Run 300 meters in 75 seconds or less

Officers are to assume a proper firing position and dry fire a standard service handgun six times in both the dominant and non-dominant hand.

This is a minimum standard. Some agencies require more. Good Luck.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Say hi to Steve Guttenberg for me!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    LOL

VIP Member
    We did a lot of pull-ups in the academy, but none were required on the PT test. Our test was as follows.

1st- vertical jump with at least one foot remaining stationary minimum of 16"
    2nd- sit-ups minimum of 29 in one minute
    3rd- push-ups minimum of 25 with no rest, no time limit
    4th- 300 meter sprint 64 second maximum
    5th- 1.5 mile run 14:48 maximum

Some agencies I tested with have more difficult requirements, most require 35 sit-ups in a minute and bench press 75% of body weight.

I'd suggest to you that you be able to at least come close to passing all requirements BEFORE attending the academy. Several academy classmates came in quite out of shape and really struggled with the PT. I admittedly struggled with the 1.5 mile run, I HATE to run, combined with quite short legs makes 1.5 miles a struggle. My best time was 14:02, I never didn't pass, but never beat 14:00 either.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    > vertical jump with at least one foot remaining stationary minimum of 16"

I'm trying to imagine a vertical jump with one foot remaining stationary. Ouch!
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    > vertical jump with at least one foot remaining stationary minimum of 16"

I'm trying to imagine a vertical jump with one foot remaining stationary. Ouch!
    Ha ha, ok, no running start, only one foot may move BEFORE they both leave the ground.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks a ton, everyone, for your replies and advice! Old School, what kind of standards for handgun accuracy did you have to comply with in the Academy? I can put most of my shots in the sternum at 7 yards. I figure you have to shoot further than that in Law Enforcement, though.

Speaking of self-defense, what's a good martial art to get into as far as usefulness in a Law Enforcement role? I took Yoshinkan Aikido for a few months, but there aren't any dojos that teach it around here.

Sap-Do. JK, I'm sure you will get some good answers in addition to what they teach you in the academy.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Ha ha, ok, no running start, only one foot may move BEFORE they both leave the ground.
    Ah, okay. That makes a LOT more sense. Haha!
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Dang I miss the sap ( I had a Texan ) and 24" Coco Bolo baton Guantes. Now it's ASP batons.

BRTCP88 when I went through my last academy which was comparative complience in 1993 we shot handguns out to 25 yards and if memory serves me we shot around 500 rounds during training. This was of course a 6 week abbreviated course. FDLE annual qualifying for certified officers is 15 yards max with a total of 40 rounds for handgun minimum. Each agency can have qulifications above the basic requirements. You will shoot a lot more than 500 rounds in a full basic academy format. I suggest you contact the regional academy you will be attending to get the up to date info.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Administrator
    Its more of a question of endurance rather than power. Here is what you do if you really want to get into shape quickly. Run your mile, but break it down into sections. I'd start with 4 or 5 sections, depending on your condition. Run the first section, do as many push ups as you can. Run the second, drop and do as any push ups as you can and so on. You can (or should) alternate between push ups and sit ups if you want, core exercise is very important too.
    Don't forget to give your body the rest and nutrition it needs too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    It's well-known that his entire career is a conspiracy by the Stonecutters.

Sponsored Links