Watching a neighborhood go downhill

This is a discussion on Watching a neighborhood go downhill within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Stetson -- you got it. Lack of respect. Tomorrow morning, I'll go out and pick up trash out of our front yard from McDonalds. The ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watching a neighborhood go downhill

Stetson -- you got it. Lack of respect.
    Tomorrow morning, I'll go out and pick up trash out of our front yard from McDonalds. The nearest one is almost 30 miles away. Somebody bought their dinner, ate it and throws the trash out here in the country. Right in my front yard. I guess I'm old, but I would never, ever think of dumping garbage out on someone's lawn. Especially if I'd already hauled it 30 miles!
    Oh well. Turning into an "it's all about me" world. I'm afraid that I can't afford to move any farther out. I'd have to go to Wyoming (and I'd sure like to).

2. Remove Ads

An OLD Story....

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyGal
    I was just reading recently (on some 2A website? On this forum? I can't recall) that Natl Parks & Wildlife areas are becoming the new staging area for a lot of drug activity.

So much for that peaceful hike in the woods.

LibertyGal
    That's been the case for years. My very first FTX (Field Training Exercise) as a still wet behind the ears 2LT almost got me and half my platoon wiped out by a homemade IED pipe bomb on a trip wire. Right in the middle of somebodys large POT crop on a Fort Lewis training area. If my point guy hadn't been a 'Nam veteran I think I'd have been toast. But he stopped and came back and got me and the plt sgt (E7) to come up and look at the monofilament trip wire stretched across a deer path and I knew we were in the $H**. We were the point element of a battalion movement to contact and there wasn't s'posed to be anybody in front of us....and so I looked around and I see all my pfc's ripping down stalks of GREENERY and stuffing it in their rucksacks and taking pictures with little instamatics they all had with the stuff crammed into the helmet as camoflage....So I had to stop the whole exercise for a real world problem and we got extracted by chopper (as I'm frantically searching rucksacks and doing the shakedown before my boss gets there) while the MPs came rolling in with the DEA.

At about the same time a good buddy of mine was stationed with the 25th Infantry Division in Hawaii and he had exactly the same problem but worse....this was in the 1980s. In the 1990's stuff like this prompted the National Park Police to turn in their service revolvers that never got fired for semis that went from the 9mm to the 40 and a SWAT team. I heard of a serial killer stalking the Appalachian Trail at one point....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Shucks David - don't get me started on garbage and lack of respect!!!

At a speedway meeting last night I watched many a dipstick leaving their (way too many) beer cans under the seat - too damn lazy to use the garbage receptacles placed everwhere - makes me mad!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

From the local paper:
    A shooting Saturday night at Opry Mills Mall that left a man and a teenager with gunshot wounds probably resulted from gang activity, Metro police said.
    Jason Hoskin, 23, of Harper Road in Joelton, was hit in the back by a bullet that then struck Lewis Perkins, 15, of Gilead Court in Madison in his left forearm, police spokesman Don Aaron said.
    Both are believed to have been shot by a member of a rival gang, he said. Efforts are continuing to identify the gunman. Several witnesses were interviewed Saturday night and mall security video was reviewed Sunday.

One kiosk employee who was near the scene of the incident remained shaken on Sunday.

"I thought a balloon burst," said Sophia Tarassod, 19, who remembered seeing a group of young men with red bandannas circle around before the gunfire began.

Tarassod ran into the Apple Barn restaurant but returned minutes later to finish counting her till near the common rest area outside the clothing store Forever 21. When a group of mall patrons started running again, Tarassod said she threw her money down and ran into a store and hid in the stockroom.

"I'm really scared. I keep looking around," she said. "I didn't want to come to work today."

Tianxin Zhao, 49, who was working near the site of the shooting, went back to work Sunday. He said he was not worried about it happening again.

"I think somebody shooting won't happen every day," he said.

Several patrons at Opry Mills Sunday were concerned but didn't expect the shooting to change their minds about going there.

"Unfortunately, it can happen anywhere. Surprisingly, it happened here," said LaTricia Glenn, 37, of south Nashville, who often takes her children to the mall.

Henry Jones, Opry Mills' general manager, declined to comment on mall security measures and referred questions regarding the incident to Metro police.

"We're committed to the safety and well-being of our shoppers and mall employees," he said.

Aaron said Hoskin was taken by a private vehicle to Skyline Medical Center and was believed to have been transferred to Vanderbilt University Medical Center. A spokesman at VUMC could not confirm his presence there.

Perkins was treated and released from Summit Medical Center in Hermitage, Aaron said.

The shooting took place around 9 p.m. after the two groups of teenagers and young adults met on opposite sides of a hallway and started flashing gang signs at each other, Aaron said.

The incident happened as Metro police, under an "Operation Safer Streets" program, are cracking down on gang activity in areas such as Hickory Hollow Mall. Aaron said that could have driven gangs to Opry Mills, adding that "Operation Safer Streets" would keep a closer eye on the mall.

"The situation (Saturday) night is something the Police Department in this city will not tolerate," he said.

funny thing is...Opry Mills bans CCWs from protecting themselves. If anything good could come out of this...they'd see that the dang gangs DON'T CARE if the property is posted or not.
    Of course...that outcome would be from my patented "dreamland" world where I'm also good looking and rich :-)

Rules? I don't need no steeeenkin' RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw
    Funny thing is...Opry Mills bans CCWs from protecting themselves. If anything good could come out of this...they'd see that the dang gangs DON'T CARE if the property is posted or not. Of course...that outcome would be from my patented "dreamland" world where I'm also good looking and rich :-)
    I was out with friends yesterday for lunch while my wife was taking a ceramics class. The mall where the restaurant was has a sign that specifically prohibits concealed weapons even if a permit to carry is present. I pointed this out to the couple and they snickered as they know I always carry and was in fact carrying my Sig P245 under a lightweight oversized shirt. I don't know how state law is written in your area, but here in Florida the property holder has a "right" to ban weapons from the property but it doesn't hold the force of law. It's a POLICY of the property holder. A police or security officer has the right to ask you to leave the property IF you are detected carrying a weapon. IF you returen (still armed) you "may" be arrested for Trespass After Warning...a misdemeanor. I have no problem violating anybody's stupid "policy."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ex -- here in MO, it's that way. Outside of the specific places stated in the law (e.g courthouses, police stations and I believe hospitals, schools, taverns with over 50% of revenue from alcohol...) a property owner must post with a sign of a certain minimum size. If I go in, they can ask me to leave. If I don't then they call LE, etc.
    Honestly, I don't even look for the signs. I would be more than happy to leave and never, ever bring my money back if asked to leave, but hasn't yet happened.
    If it's concealed, nobody should know anyway.

Tn State law is:
    Tennessee law (T.C.A. 39-17-1359) provides:
    An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person otherwise authorized by 39-17-1351 -- 39-17-1360, at meetings conducted by, or on premises owned, operated, or managed or under control of such individual, corporation, business entity or government entity. Notice of such prohibition shall be posted. Posted notices shall be displayed in prominent locations, including all public entrances, shall be in English, and shall be at least six inches (6") high and fourteen inches (14") wide, stating:

PURSUANT TO T.C.A. 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. A VIOLATION OF THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY BE SUBJECT TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN $500.

now...there is some discussion in local CCW forums regarding the proper signage, and if the property not having EVERY exterior door posted is a defense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links