Watching a neighborhood go downhill

This is a discussion on Watching a neighborhood go downhill within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For anyone in Nashville, you're probably familiar with the Nolensville area..... I lived there for around six years and watched the gang tags sprout up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

For anyone in Nashville, you're probably familiar with the Nolensville area.....

I lived there for around six years and watched the gang tags sprout up everywhere like crabgrass. Add loud music, barred windows, billboards completely in non-English, litter everywhere, police sirens, and starting to "get used to" a police chopper flying overhead...

I've since moved out, but occasionally I go back to go to the world market, one of the best grocery places in Nashville, where I can get foreign foods I can't get anywhere else. They've got the best seafood market, too.

And the last time I went, I noted there's now an armed security guard. I can only imagine what happened to prompt that.

An armed security guard at a grocery store.

On the plus side, she was armed with a 1911.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Betty where i live we have no gangs , no idiots , everyone carrys ( if just a .22 in the pickup for prarie dogs ) , but also the closest wall mart is 52 miles on my odomiter , and as for seafood forget that crap lol ... I love to cook , but i love living here ( and having my grandkid here ) more . You choose when you decide where you live . the more crap you have to do and buy , the more crap you have to put up with ... anyway thats my thoughts lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I know what you mean. I drive through there to miss traffic (From Harding @ 65 over to Briley Pkwy...I was a bit concerned for my safety...and I grew up over off Dickerson Road...near Trinity Lane :-)
    Too many people just standing around on street corners...just staring at people as they drive by.

Lead Moderator
    Know what ya mean. While my town is much smaller than Nashville, it has grown alot. almost getting where too many downstate city dwellers are moving up and bringing crime with em.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I know what you mean. I drive through there to miss traffic (From Harding @ 65 over to Briley Pkwy...I was a bit concerned for my safety...and I grew up over off Dickerson Road...near Trinity Lane :-)
    Too many people just standing around on street corners...just staring at people as they drive by.
    Now i dont want to get a rant on either side going here , but honestly Why the heck do yall put up with this , we dont have it in any area i would live in and when it starts we break it up . Damm ... please explain to me cause i just do not get it lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Whether "going down" or not there really is no safe neighborhood now days. I live in a Middle size Texas town that has no particular reputation for excessive violence but has the same problems as other sities & towns. In the last 5 yrs there has developed a "Problem house" at an intersection leaving. A meth lab was busted in a 6 figure house w/ very well kept yard, less than half mile from the school 2 of my grandchildren attend. 30 yr ago there may have been a reasonable assurance that you could move to another "better neighborhood". Today that is not possible anywhere, I don't think.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Administrator
    Overall...there is a general decline in the quality of civilized society everywhere. It's very sad. I hear you Betty.

Assistant Administrator
    The ''blight'' of punks and societal bad behavior is becoming endemic - and even in more rural areas it's sad to see the trend way too often.

Yes there are still good places to be but relocation is often far from easy for many folks - not to mention, the whole deal costs!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    Now i dont want to get a rant on either side going here , but honestly Why the heck do yall put up with this , we dont have it in any area i would live in and when it starts we break it up . Damm ... please explain to me cause i just do not get it lol
    Too many people in that area who think that criminals have all the rights. Most of the gang tags in the area are for MS-13, Brown Pride and Asian Pride.
    The area is mostly Latin American and Asian. There's always a "Hispanic activist" on the local news talking about how misunderstood the "migrant workers" are...blah blah blah.
    The Mexican gangs run the area, deal drugs...and fight the Asians.
    The Asians steal cars...and fight the Mexicans.
    I've talked to LEOs in the area...the local news reported the facts I've posted above.
    As soon as someone talks about cleaning up the area...they're called a bigot or a racist because of the heavy Hispanic population.

It also doesn't help that our WORTHLESS police chief is too busy with traffic enforcement to do anything about the more serious crimes. I wish I had the link to the news story where he stated that in his opinion the immigration laws are unconstitutional and he will not enforce them. We had an illegal alien kill a couple in a traffic accident not too long ago. He had been arrested something like 14 times…and NEVER deported.
    He’s all about metrics and padding the numbers to make himself look good. They’re actually trying to count the increased traffic fines he’s raising into the next years metro budget.
    Sorry…I gonna get off my soapbox now.

When I was a kid you when on vacation you left your house unlocked so the neighbors could water the plants and take care of your mail. Now the area is a steel barred camp, times and people change mostly for the bad as good jobs and money get harder to come by the criminal element will eventually take over the inner city, unless the citizens take a hold of their own life.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I live in a rural part of southeastern NC, just 5000 people in town. Not bad here yet but it is changing. One day I hope to move to Wyoming.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Lightbulb You MIGHT be surprised....

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    Didn't COLOMBINE happen in Colorado? And wasn't there a school shooting in a very small town in Kentucky or Mississippi?

I understand from reading the Law Enforcement Journals that a major new epidemic of youth gang violence is sprouting in the heartland of America. MS13 and the Crips are showing up in IOWA to put Meth Labs in small barns. If you think you're living in small town America as it existed for Norman Rockwell in the 1950's...well think again. Just because you don't see it...doesn't mean it's NOT there.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    I understand from reading the Law Enforcement Journals that a major new epidemic of youth gang violence is sprouting in the heartland of America. MS13 and the Crips are showing up in IOWA to put Meth Labs in small barns. If you think you're living in small town America as it existed for Norman Rockwell in the 1950's...well think again. Just because you don't see it...doesn't mean it's NOT there.
    I was just reading recently (on some 2A website? On this forum? I can't recall) that Natl Parks & Wildlife areas are becoming the new staging area for a lot of drug activity.

So much for that peaceful hike in the woods.

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    Didn't COLOMBINE happen in Colorado? And wasn't there a school shooting in a very small town in Kentucky or Mississippi?

Correct. I'm 25 miles from anything and we've got meth all over the place. Local LE does what they can, but they are few and far between. Guess I could "hunt them down and kill them" if I were in a movie. My wife just today was commenting on how nice it was at a little restaurant in a town north of us. Everybody was friendly. That atmosphere of small-town living.... yet at least three other people besides me had guns. It's not the 1950s and this kind of thing is everywhere.
    Anyway, my little rant is over. I'll go upstairs with 4 of our dogs and hope that the clown down the road with the big thumping bass in his car doesn't have a party. Because... based on the law, there's nothing that we can really do.
    And that's too bad.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I lived on the same road for 43 years and I sees the lack of respect
    for other peoples property go by the wayside in for of littering and
    vandalism. I live in a small city in Central Maine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links