Say it with me.

This is a discussion on Say it with me. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America. And to the Republic, for which it stands, One Nation, Under GOD, Indivisible, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Say it with me.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar

Say it with me.

I pledge allegiance, to the flag,
    of the United States of America.

And to the Republic, for which it stands,
    One Nation, Under GOD,

Indivisible, with Liberty,
    And Justice for All.

History of the pledge.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Done Jar - with pride I might add

BTW I am trying to corece my dear wife into adding an embroidered motif on back of my vests - if she gets it done I'll post a pic. Just my own version of Old Glory with a message.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

VIP Member

Old enough to remember

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79

One Nation, Under GOD,

And Justice for All.

History of the pledge.

I'm old enough to remember when it was simply, "one nation, indivisible,"

The addition of 'under G-d' was, and is divisive. It ignores that we are one nation with many people, some of whom don't believe in a diety, others of whom believe in their own dieties--which differ from that of the majority.

The pledge was great in its original form. It is a tad hypocritical in its present form.

Done, Sir! Still have it down. Learned in K or 1st.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    Jar, I'm not complaining because I think you did a great thing reminding us of the pledge. It's just that the punctuation was a little off and it makes the pledge have a little different ring when the pledge is punctuated and recited properly. A third grade teacher in our church corrected my recitation several years ago in Vacation Bible School and I checked her out and discovered she was right. We often pause several places in the pledge where there is no comma or other punctuation and it changes the sound and the meaning slightly when we use the correct punctuation and read it the way it is really written. Below is the official Pledge of Allegiance with proper punctuation.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    The first break or pause comes after "stands" so the first unbroken part reads continuously from "I" to "stands" -

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands,"

There is then a pause and the next phrase has no breaks. This is where we almost always put a little pause between "nation" and "under God", but the pledge is written with this phrase to be read without pause -

"one nation under God,"

Then there is one word followed by another comma -

"indivisible,"

The last phrase flows to the end of the pledge without pause or break -

"with liberty and justice for all."

Until that third grade teacher showed me the way it was written the pledge meant a lot to me, but when I started saying it the way it was written it started to mean more. The people who wrote the pledge and put it together put the punctuation in specific places in order to make the Pledge of Allegiance mean something in particular. When read or recited properly it means more to me than it does when read or recited the way we often do. I think that we usually say it sort of haphazzardly and it's not supposed to be said that way.
    I hope I haven't offended you by writting this because it is not intended that way. I served my country and love her and I believe that we ought to honor our flag and say the pledge the way it is written. Try it the way it shows below and see if it doesn't take on new meaning to you.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, [pause]
    one nation under God, [pause]
    indivisible, [pause]
    with liberty and justice for all.

Have a great weekend.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Nice to know. I can see where the breaks likely came from. Take anything that will be recited aloud by a group, and it will be broken, up, by, commas, just, so, people, can, keep, up.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

JD
    Administrator

Assistant Administrator
    Good point George - and am glad to say that it was the way I learned it - even this late in life!

Punctuation and its implementation can totally alter meanings.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Good point George - and am glad to say that it was the way I learned it - even this late in life!

Punctuation and its implementation can totally alter meanings.
    Chris, as a naturalized citizen you learned it as an adult, and with more respect than we did as 5 and 6 year olds. I'm sure that it was when I became a Boy Scout that I really started to understand what the pledge was really about. By then it was too late to learn it right because we all said it the same way. My third grade teacher friend is the one who leads the pledge in Vacation Bible School and she teaches the children to say it properly. What's funny is to have a parent tell you about the letter that the child brought home because he or she had corrected the teacher in the pledge. That's funny, but what is funnier is hearing the parent say that their note back to the teacher said that the child is right and you teacher are wrong. It is pretty neat to check and find out that the teachers being corrected are a different group each year. Evidently the child's correction and the parents' support of the child forces the teachers to check and then determine to say it properly. Who says you can't teach and old dog or teacher new tricks?
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79

One Nation, Under GOD,

And Justice for All.

History of the pledge.
    {standing up, with right hand on heart}

+1
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard
    I'm old enough to remember when it was simply, "one nation, indivisible,"
    I just find it irritating that people keep harping on that part, and ignore the fact that our elected officials are using the "liberty and justice for all" part as toilet paper.

VIP Member
    To me, this is the most beautiful version done so far Red Skelton's Pledge of Allegiance
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

The Pledge of Allegance to the Flag, Our flag, My flag, is of the greatest signifgance. These simple words send chills up my spine every time that I hear and recite them. God grant that Old Glory waves over the Land of the free and the home of the Brave, forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links