Full beards help deter crimimals

This is a discussion on Full beards help deter crimimals within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I used to be a clean-shaven man, but for the past few years (and for the rest of my life) have been and will be ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Full beards help deter crimimals

Full beards help deter crimimals

I used to be a clean-shaven man, but for the past few years (and for the rest of my life) have been and will be a full bearded man.

I know it might sound silly, but I'm completely serious in that the world looks at you in a completely different way. Just like most feel more passive with a gun because their more at ease with the world, i.e. they feel more safe and less threatened. I feel the same with my beard.

Not that criminals saw me as a target beforehand, but when you have a big, burly beard, no one seems to even have a thought of messing with you. People that might have before are now steering clear.

Just like height, build, and weight make a man look physically intimidating. A beard is right up there at the top.

It's something that might sound crazy explaining, but if any of you fellow men have went from clean-shaven to fully bearded, there is no denying that the world looks at you different and immediately has more respect/fear of you.

All it takes now when I've been in a few uncomfortable situations is a look from me and that about solves that.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Not much of a scenario in your thread, moving to OT/H....sorry but it really doesn't fit in any of the standard sub-forums...

oh so intimidating

Quote Originally Posted by theprotector View Post
    It's something that might sound crazy explaining, but if any of you fellow men have went from clean-shaven to fully bearded, there is no denying that the world looks at you different and immediately has more respect/fear of you.
    Ya right, what are you smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Ya right, what are you smoking.
    Just watch and see. I know the fellow bearded brethren will know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post

oh so intimidating
    Yes, that's a full beard, but it also needs to be big and burly, and you have to otherwise look manly.

I was thinking more like this...

VIP Member
    As everything else it all depends. I know someone who looked very much a target, a mild mannered "sheep." For whatever reason, certainly unrelated to SD, the guy cut his long curly "musician's hair" to a near "marine buzz," grew a mustache, and put some on under the chin too.

He now looks downright evil. He looks like someone who would finish a fight before it started.

He is of course the very same mild guy, but the grooming changes have completely changed the image others perceive, not who he is.
    If he'd ditch the nerd eye-glasses and go for contacts he'd look plain mean.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Every few years I grow a full beard but am usually clean shaven. I don't know about the affect on criminals, but people do treat me differently when I have the beard. It seems that people are more respectful. I get called sir more often, even before it had grey in it. My beard is usually about the length of Al's.

Well I would say "welcome to the forum, Chuck!" but I really don't want my head kicked into the next state by a roundhouse.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

My fiance wanted me to shave soon after we started dating. I said I would if she cut her hair above her shoulders. Been over 2 years now...I still have the beard.

VIP Member
    Toss in a tattoo and you've got yourself a real intimidating thing going on...

My thought here though is that depending on what profession your in a beard, especially a longer more "Biker" type, might have a negative effect on your career.
    I think there are certain professions (gynocoligist?) where people don't expect you to have a beard.
    Personally I don't own a motorcycle, don't want one but I don't have the same uneasy feeling that some people do when they see a bunch of bikers at a bar. Two years ago we went to the grand canyon and stayed overnight in Williams AR. There was a large ride in of bikers staying there. We drove past a classic car like my boss has and I wanted to get a picture of it for him. I parked down the road and was going to walk past the biker hangout to get the picture. The wife didn't want to get out of the car. It didn't bother me at all to walk past. I figure they are not going to even give me a second look.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Foster View Post
    My fiance wanted me to shave soon after we started dating. I said I would if she cut her hair above her shoulders. Been over 2 years now...I still have the beard.
    Why would you want her to have shorter hair? I wish my wife would let her's grow out.

That's it...today I stop shaving!

I tend to look at biker types as guys trying to darned hard to look tough. I have dealt with enough of those to know they are mostly paper tigers in groups of less than four or five. If you take out the "Hell's Accountants" types who are just guys who like to tool around on their high dollar Road Kings on weekends off from the cubicle...who are a pretty decent group.

I think your average guy with a neatly trimmed beard does have a slightly more distinguished look about him. Maybe it brings to mind professors or doctors. Who knows? Now I have something to ponder.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links