Finally Converted

This is a discussion on Finally Converted within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; to a Mac that is. So tired of Windows crashing, security issues, etc. I should have done this years ago....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally Converted

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Finally Converted

to a Mac that is. So tired of Windows crashing, security issues, etc. I should have done this years ago.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Holy cats! Next thing you know, you'll be telling us you dumped the 1911s for plastic guns...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'm seriously considering going to camp Apple next computer. I've thought about buying a mini mac for my television, I may do that first and see if I like the platform.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Parked the Windows computer for the tiny bit of computing I do. The iPad is my main surfing tool.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Apple disgusts me.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

After three PC's crashed, I'm now typing on an Apple Mac. Once you get used to it, it's not bad.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Mac's are a rock solid platform, good move and enjoy.

Mac on....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I studied Information Systems so I did all my programming and college work on Windows OS so I was a very loyal fan of Microsoft. Nonetheless, after I had to discard 2 costly laptops (Sony Vaio and HP) due to Windows problems (bugs, crashes, security issues, etc.) I made the move Apple 5 years ago and have never looked back. I bought a Mac Book Pro and I have had no problems whatsoever, my laptop is now 5 years old and it still works like day one. Apple is the best! My next purchase is an iMac.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    I have two crashed 'puters beside me and I'm using a borrowed laptop. Maybe investing in a Mac with tax refund is worth it?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Most of Windows crashes are due to their flexibility in allowing 2nd party software and hardware to run on their systems. Which is the main reason I and most other people use PCs. We need our PCs to support applications that we use at work and at home. Windows PCs are generally cheaper and can usealmost any application on the market. As far as security goes, Macs are not inherently more secure than Windows. They have such a small marketshare that virus writers don't usually make Mac versions. That will change if Mac ever dominates the market.

I have only had Windows PC's but have worked on Macs as well. My personal PC's last for years. It's all in how you use and maintain them. I've had this Windows laptop for 4 years and it still works like the day I bought it. My wife's laptop and the kids desktop on the other hand only last about 2 years before I have to "refresh" them with a format and fresh Windows install. Of course it helps that I also fix PCs in my spare time.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Holy cats! Next thing you know, you'll be telling us you dumped the 1911s for plastic guns...
    Actually I don't own any 1911's (yet). Two XD's, an LCP, Ruger MK II, and an SP101, so they're not all plastic.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I've worked in IT for well over a decade and early on used to hate Mac's. I made the switch about 7 years ago from running Windows and Linux at home to a Powermac G4 and now an Intel based iMac. I deal with computers all day and the last thing I want to do is come home and have to deal with my own. Its true that Apple tightly controls add-on products so they are much more integrated and solid product. Applications are not quite as plentiful than on Windows but there's nothing I can't do on a Mac that I can on a Windows PC. The Mac cost me more up front, but I upgrade less often and they retain their value for much longer than PC's. I don't care for how Apple handles "apps" for the iPhone and iPad though. They've taken their tight control to new levels by imposing their own moral and ideological views on what can be installed and I refuse to use those particular products.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    iMac and iPad serve us well
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

first its a mac.. next you'll be hanging out at tea bars and eventually you'll end up living in san francisco

Sponsor
    Someone told me Macs are designed for creative people................ Really?

This days one can put a PC together with spare parts in matter of minutes, I've put or repair some PCs with left over parts, or just a couple of hundred dollars, try that with a mac.

I started years ago with the millennium edition nightmare version from windows, became an IT man playing with windows and hardware failure. Try that with a mac.

Today, in my home an array of 6 PC's and 3 laptops take care of security, fun and work. Most of them are made with spare parts from upgrades and such, so they are like a family. Try that with a mac.

Do they fail? everything fails at one point or another. Hardware dies sometimes. User fails sometimes. An avid PC user will always solve this . Try that with a mac.

Someone told me Macs are designed for creative people................ Really?

PCs changed my reality, if all I needed was a change of mind I would have gotten a Mac.
    Go with the glow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links