First Aid Kit at gun club

This is a discussion on First Aid Kit at gun club within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hosted a CPR class at our local gun club today to teach some of the guys CPR and the use of an automatic external ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Aid Kit at gun club

I hosted a CPR class at our local gun club today to teach some of the guys CPR and the use of an automatic external defibrillator. When we were finished with the class, we looked through our first aid kit, which consisted of band aids and neosporin. A suggestion was made for me to look into a good first aid kit, one that could stop bleeding in case of an accidental shooting... God forbid.

With a little research i found the Quick Clot products... but was wondering what else would you suggest? any idea welcomed. Thanks. Bunker

My favorite is the thin tampons......really.

That just begs to be googled......I couldn't make that up if I tried.

Bravo Zulu on teaching CPR AND teaching the AED's! I believe those AED's are life savers and more of 'em with trained people to handle 'em is a GREAT thing!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

EBC
    I would put in some sort of heavy duty dressings (I like the ones the Army uses for short term), and Gloves.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

Gloves, Different size dressings, rolled gauze, medical tape, triangle bandages, bandaids in assorted sizes (probably the most used), CPR mask, alcohol wipes. Most importantly learn how to use it. As far as meds, most hospitals do not like it when you administer medication to someone going to the ER. Just a thought. There are some more technical things that would be nice, but without training they would be useless.

Actually this is not a bad basic kit. Some of the stuff is unneeded.

http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/firstaidkit.html
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post

Bravo Zulu on teaching CPR AND teaching the AED's! I believe those AED's are life savers and more of 'em with trained people to handle 'em is a GREAT thing!
    HMmmm, maxi pads as wound care??? that might work, and would be inexpensive... wouldnt expire, but am wondering if they could handle a large shotgun wound or not? I have checked out some websites from previous first aid threads, and think i can just order what i need. Bunker

I did not teach class, but brought in a nurse friend who is certified CPR trainer from the American Heart Association. thanks, i hope it saves lives. bunker

Skip the quick clot. For stateside use where there is a relatively quick response time, some hemostatic gauze, and good packing gauze/bandages would be a better choice. Quik Clot causes a lot of scar tissue, and you still need to pack it into the wound, you can't just pour it on the surface.

Stopping the bleeding would be the major concern for most gunshot wounds, and direct pressure can do that. So, I say good bandages should be on the top of your list, also, an inclusive dressing for chest wounds might be a good idea.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Response time is relative. Even the best urban systems get overloaded. There are other QuickClot type products available. Opinion sways to and fro on which is the best.

You can buy a decent FA kit from a company like Galls (www.galls.com) that is a good general kit. Nothing wrong with bandaids and Neosporin but they are not for GSWs.

Or you can stock your own and make it a custom GSW kit. Get a couple CATs (Combat Application Tourniquet) and learn when and how to use them, a couple tampons, a box of heavy menstrual flow pads, a few sets of exam gloves in medium and XL, Ace wrap for making pressure dressings, a small jar of petroleum gauze to smear on the pads to make occlusive dressings for sucking chest wounds, assorted tape, a few white hand towels.

For the BOO BOO kit add a bottle of 81mg baby aspirin (if someone looks like they're having the BIG ONE have them chew a mouthful / OK our EMS protocol is for 4 but I heard a cardiologist say he'd chew a mouthful).

I feel like I've overlooked something but that will get you going.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Yeah, thats right, occlusive dressing, not inclusive... Sorry about that.

The Quik Clot granules, are what I was referring to. The military doesn't use it anymore, my understanding is that its because of all the scar tissue it causes, and complications. Also, it was only really useable on the extremeties. This stuff: http://www.botachtactical.com/zqucoga.html Which is the Quik clot infused combat gauze, seems to be a lot more versatile, and is much preferred these days.

The Nato tourniquets are better than the CAT tourniquets, but the CAT ones will do the job too, they just break a little easier because they are plastic, and not metal. But I have seen CAT tourniquets save lives.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member

Military aircraft used to have full size sanitary pads in the first aid survival kit, to stop the flow of blood in larger wounds.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I always wanted to ask so now is a good time. Could you shove a tampon into a GSW to help stop the flow of blood?

what about duct tape in the kit ?

Franks Red hot Sauce?

Administrator
    General FYI with regard to Quik Clot - Pay particular attention to the expiration dates which are short w/ Quick Clot because it does degrade rather quickly even when storage conditions are good.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Yes, the military stopped using it to a large extent due to complications when it got inside the wound cavity. Back to pressure and tourniquets.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I always wanted to ask so now is a good time. Could you shove a tampon into a GSW to help stop the flow of blood?
    While it would certainly stop "external bleeding" signs, it probably wouldn't do much for the internal bleeding, which is just a deadly. But again, any help is better than none.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links