What about Duramax diesels?

This is a discussion on What about Duramax diesels? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've got a '95 F250 with a 7.0 power stroke (the good one) and I sense it's getting close to time for a new truck. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about Duramax diesels?

VIP Member

I've got a '95 F250 with a 7.0 power stroke (the good one) and I sense it's getting close to time for a new truck. I dont' think it's cost effective to put a bunch of money in a 16 year old truck. I don't have new truck fever at all, but I'm about to face some serious repair issues. Since it's nearly tax time I'll go over this purchase with my CPA too.

I'm thinking about trying out a Chev/GMC with the Duramax and Allison. I'm currently doing my homework and looking here for some real-world input.

BTW my truck typically stays hooked to a trailer, so it's obvious that I pull loads quite a bit.

I believe that Duramax has nearly 400 hp, what hwy mileage does it get w/o a trailer?

Any other comments are welcome too.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    FYI: A 1995 F250 wouuld have a 7.3 PSD, not a 7.0. The older non-turbo PSD before the 7.3L Non-turbo were 6.9L.

What serious repairs issues are you about to face? Assuming its an automatic, automatic transmissions in pick-ups seem to be a weak point across the brands (excess heat when hauling/towing/off-roading usually.) . The earlier turbo PSD have some issues where the turbocharger mounts, and the downpipes come apart with age. Diesel engines (assuming properly maintained) last well into the 400k+ mark. And usually (also assuming properly maintained.) the differentials hold up well too.

Why limit yourself to a Duramax? Whats wrong with the newer PowerStrokes or the Cummins series Dodges? Just wondering.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I'm gonna assume you intend to leave the drivetrain bone stock. Since the Duramax uses DEF, it regens a lot less often, thus better MPG. In 11, everything except the cab and bed is improved or new. I like that it is an evolution of a great power train combo. Make sure you go with the exhaust brake and factory electric brake controller. Browse the Duramax forum to get real world MPG, but GM claims 30% better than 2010.

Wish you lived closer to me, would have a blast letting you play with one.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    FYI: A 1995 F250 wouuld have a 7.3 PSD, not a 7.0. The older non-turbo PSD before the 7.3L Non-turbo were 6.9L.

What serious repairs issues are you about to face? Assuming its an automatic, automatic transmissions in pick-ups seem to be a weak point across the brands (excess heat when hauling/towing/off-roading usually.) . The earlier turbo PSD have some issues where the turbocharger mounts, and the downpipes come apart with age. Diesel engines (assuming properly maintained) last well into the 400k+ mark. And usually (also assuming properly maintained.) the differentials hold up well too.

Why limit yourself to a Duramax? Whats wrong with the newer PowerStrokes or the Cummins series Dodges? Just wondering.
    I am going to have to go with this comment (all except the Dodge thing at the end) If you have had this truck for 16 yrs and it stays hooked to a trailer and has served you well why wouldnt you give Ford the chance to impress you with the new 6.7 motor ( I hear it is awsome). I like my Fords as much as my Glocks.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

The Chevy HD is the 2011 truck of the year for Motor Trend....it is a greatly improved version of the 2010. Those Allisons have a great name for a reason. I really dont think you would go worn with the Ford, GM or Dodge. All have pretty goor powertrain combos.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The new Duramax trucks are badass. They are all around better trucks than the Fords and Dogdes, althought the Dodge is a close second for me. All ive ever owned are chevy/gmc trucks but I have driven and been around the others a lot. I want a new D-max pretty bad but I need to buy a house first...

BTW I tow a 14ft enclosed trailer on a regular basis for work with my 06 chevy 1500 crew cab and it does a pretty good job with as much as 7500 lbs. What Are you towing? Have you considered the new half tons? The new diesels are A LOT of truck and I thing most people buy them for the wrong reasons..

Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    I am going to have to go with this comment (all except the Dodge thing at the end) If you have had this truck for 16 yrs and it stays hooked to a trailer and has served you well why wouldnt you give Ford the chance to impress you with the new 6.7 motor ( I hear it is awsome). I like my Fords as much as my Glocks.
    Lol. Well never said I'd buy a Dodge or a Chevy. (I don't own a Glock either, doh. )

I've spent the last 6 or so years working FT in automotive repair shops. Before working there, I would have bought a Chevy. Nowadays? Ford is the only respectable american company there is left. Dodge would have been long gone without help from Japanese, German, and French companies. (Dodges almost bankruped several times, it well documented. ) GM would be long gone if it wasn't for MY involuntary tax dollars(Also well documented....Even after shutting down Oldsmobile many years ago, then more recently shutting down Pontiac, and Saturn. Costing how many jobs?)

Besides, Ford builds a darn good truck.

If your Ford has served you well, why not stick with them?

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    The Chevy HD is the 2011 truck of the year for Motor Trend....it is a greatly improved version of the 2010. Those Allisons have a great name for a reason. I really dont think you would go worn with the Ford, GM or Dodge. All have pretty goor powertrain combos.

If you read the "why" on what Motor Trend selects a "vehicle of the year" for, they mostly look for changes. Just because it won, doesn't mean its "best", it just means they feel it has the most changes or updates. Sometimes can mean more harm than good. (Don't fix it, if it aint broke. Change for the sake of change, isn't always good.) I stopped paying attention to their "vehicles of the year" a long time ago.

I'm *not* saying the Duramax isn't a capable vehicle. Just pointing out the lack of validity in the MT TOTY, and why I wouldn't buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    SNIP/the new diesels are A LOT of truck and I thing most people buy them for the wrong reasons..
    What are "the wrong reasons" ? Just wondering! I'd buy a diesel if I had one in my budget. I don't tow, or haul(regularly). I do off-road (beach/sometimes mud.), and I like the fact they last longer than gas engines, require less maintaining, and have more capability should the need arise...And the MPG is incredible when compared to their gas counterparts (esp when considering the capability. )

(And with a couple of local places selling Biodiesel to the public around here, so fuel prices are alot less "up and down" like with regular gas, and diesel. And, for some odd reason, should a fantom petroleum shortage occur, its really easy to keep a diesel still going.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

VIP Member
    A son of a buddy of mine has an '09 4dr. Duramax, and pulls a 5th wheel, and also uses it as a daily driver.
    Has nothing but praise for it.
    I have rode in it a few times and it NEVER misses a beat.
    Was going to buy a 1 ton with the big 8.1 and was advised against that, because the daily driven miles over the course of the life of the vehicle would have cost as much (in Fuel costs) , lower MPG compared to the diesel factors, plus when pulling trailers or off-roading it would be also superior in performance.

That said, I also have a friend who has a '96 f350 4dr diesel, 4sp. which has more than proven itself in towing big trailers, off-roading and such.

I am usually a GM guy, and back then I'd have probably opted for the ford.
    Now it'd be duramax hands down.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

If you read the "why" on what Motor Trend selects a "vehicle of the year" for, they mostly look for changes. Just because it won, doesn't mean its "best", it just means they feel it has the most changes or updates. I stopped paying attention to their "vehicles of the year" a long time ago.
    And Motor Trend is the "People Magazine" of the automotive world. Long on opinions and features in new cars, never met a car they didn't like, almost no technical content, no stories more than 2 pages long. I think they hire laid-off sales brochure writers from Detroit to write their stories.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Real life, I drive a 2006 Duramax/Allison Chevy 3500. The best truck i have ever had. If you want some real world info go to dieselplace.com . You can read all the Information on all the
    different years from the first to the 2011. Great info and friendly folks.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

I am a Chevy guy, plain an simple. Grew up with them, Howver the only ford truck I like is a F-250 SD with the 7.0 diesel..

However IMO the Duramax/Allison combo is the best and I would put it over the Ford....

Quote Originally Posted by Koontzy View Post
    I am a Chevy guy, plain an simple. Grew up with them, Howver the only ford truck I like is a F-250 SD with the 7.0 diesel..

However IMO the Duramax/Allison combo is the best and I would put it over the Ford....

Again, currently no such thing as a 7.0L powerstroke diesel.

Couple links for those who don't believe me.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ory/index.html

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/f...sel/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Power_Stroke_engine

https://www.powerstrokediesel.com/index.aspx?PageId=309

http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/

http://www.ehow.com/about_5114409_hi...er-stroke.html

http://www.dieselbombers.com/ford-tr...ord-truck.html

My best bud is a master chevy/gmc diesel tech and he says the best duramax Allison combo is the pissed off headlight style chevy. I believe that is the 2003-2006 years. Just my 2 cents.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Koontzy View Post
    LOL sorry my bad... I meant to type 6.0 not 7.0
    Lol no worries, it happens.

To the OP: Good luck with your truck search. I'm sure you could find a good deal if you decide to go with new , or used. A guy I used to work with had a 6.4L PSD F250, that he got for about 8G off because the dealer was having such trouble moving full size pickups, brand new.

I also recently got a used Toyota for my wife at a fraction of what they usually go for, again ,...found a dealer who was basically desperate to sell a car and almost walked several times until they kept sweetening the deal. I ended up paying 3,500 less than sticker on it, and got a better rate by haggling/etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links