"Justified" Superbowl commercial evokes Dirty Harry scene, new season Wednesday

This is a discussion on "Justified" Superbowl commercial evokes Dirty Harry scene, new season Wednesday within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Are any of you all looking forward to the new season of "Justified" that starts this Wednesday night on FX? There was a pretty neat ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Justified" Superbowl commercial evokes Dirty Harry scene, new season Wednesday

"Justified" Superbowl commercial evokes Dirty Harry scene, new season Wednesday

Are any of you all looking forward to the new season of "Justified" that starts this Wednesday night on FX? There was a pretty neat commercial for it towards the end of the Superbowl last night. Marshall Raylon Givens paid homage to Dirty Harry Callahan's famous scene of ..."do you feel lucky, Punk!" only instead of a Harry's S&W model 29, Givens had what appeared to be a Glock 17 and instead of saying "did I fire 6 shots or only 5?" he said "did I fire 17 shots or only 16" as he stares down a bad guy with a shotgun. Timothy Olyphant (the actor that plays Marshall Givens) added a neat twist to the end of the scene however. He didn't shoot the guy, but as the bad guy was focused on the Glock just inches from his face, Marshall Givens says "but the question you need to ask yourself (then he punches him in the face with the left hand) is what is he doing with his other hand!"

I loved all of the Dirty Harry movies and I really liked watching Justified last season. It was neat to see some scenes that were actually shot in the Bluegrass state.

Any other fans of Raylon Givens and "Justified" out there?
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

2. Remove Ads

I think its a great show.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

love the show! Cracked up laughing when I saw the ad!!
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

"Hence the phrase--"Died Tryin'..." LOLOLOL Love that show.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I like it, looking FWD to it being on again, I like Ralling he played the sheriff in Dead Wood on HBO (liked him there too)

VIP Member
    I thought the ad was pretty funny. I did, however, wonder why the actor does not carry a full mag with one in the pipe? Doesn't the G17 hold 17+1?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I thought the ad was pretty funny. I did, however, wonder why the actor does not carry a full mag with one in the pipe? Doesn't the G17 hold 17+1?
    perhaps he converted it to 40 cal>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Just goes to show that commercial script writers aren't true gun people...we would have said "Did I shoot 18 or only 17 shots?"
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

Love the show, slight dissapointment in the capacity question, but I'll get over it.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by bgglock View Post
    Just goes to show that commercial script writers aren't true gun people...we would have said "Did I shoot 18 or only 17 shots?"
    If they knew anything about guns they would have know it doesn't matter. As long as the slide isn't locked to the rear then there should be one in the chamber. Still though it was great homage to Clint.

OK; I've been out of the country for 20 months with very limited access to American media, so I really have no idea what the show is about; I saw a commercial for this show just last night with the reference to the Star Wars bar shootout. Looks like something I'll have to check out.

The show is about U.S. Marshall Raylon Givens who is reassigned back to his native eastern Kentucky mountain district after he has some very questionable ("Justified" in his mind and the internal investigations unit) shootings of drug/gun dealers in Miami. The reassignment is meant to be a punishment to Givens, and he takes it that way at first, but then things get complicated with his ex-wife and a pretty female witness to Meth drug ring back in the hills where he grew up. Givens is played by Timothy Olyphant and his character is known for his deadly quick draw, cowboy hat & boots, and his cool under pressure. Many scenes of the first season were filmed on location in Kentucky, however there were about as many that I could tell were filmed in Southern California also. It is a pretty interesting crime drama with some occasional backwoods humour thrown in too, but I admit I am biased since I'm a homegrown Kentucky boy too!

In Episode 10 "The Hammer", he said he wore a .45 --- that would make it a Glock 21 (13 rd mag). Logic follows that he would carry a Glock 30 (10 rd mag) as his backup.

Just saying...

Great show, even the wife likes it. Definitely one of the best commercials yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links