Pressure Washer?

Pressure Washer?

This is a discussion on Pressure Washer? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For those of you who do a little off roadin every now and then - who uses a pressure washer for the mud and do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Washer?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Pressure Washer?

For those of you who do a little off roadin every now and then - who uses a pressure washer for the mud and do you have one you'd recommend? (or something else besides a pressure washer?)

I've been told you don't want to get very close with them or it'll mess up your paint.
    For God, Family and Country!

Administrator
    I have an small cheapo Craftsman one that I mounted to my dirtbike trailer. Its 1150 PSI, plenty powerful enough to clean off mud, but not enough to clean off paint.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I think a suicide nozzle for your regular hose might be a better bet. My PW will eat paint up close.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

The more powerful ones, as in 2000 psi + are great for underneath, but I would not get to close or stay too long on your paint. The experience I've had with that much pressure (2000 psi) is it can start hurting, at least on 18 wheeler's I washed as a mechanic. The pressure washers you encounter at your local car wash is fine. But even then I just don't linger with the wand for my new truck and wifes new SUV. I still like to hand wash our rigs, weather permiting.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

VIP Member
    I've used one to wash my car without a problem, but only once. I think if you get too close to the pain or hit a nicked area of paint at the wrong angle you could take the paint off. Sixto has it about right. It all depends on the pressure.

Different Tips give different presure, And how long you let the mud dry makes it harder to get of JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I use the 75cent carwash,let them clean up the mud.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Get the best one with the most psi you can afford, just change out the tips & dial down the pressure for the truck. You'll always find new things to power wash & not having enough power to do the job really sucks.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Depends on what you want to do, if all you want is to remove your mud then 1200-1800 psi any cheap electric will do, Harbor tools, Campbell housfield, Craftsman, Lows, Menard's, shop around for the best deal, just get one that has a fan spray for the wand, and has auto shut off if you dead head it you will overheat and burn out the pump....
    If you want to power wash the driveway, house, deck, then gasoline any one that you can get 2200 to 2800 psi idle it down and again use the fan spray to wash the car as direct spray will strip some paint and will strip paint off your house for re painting, and again same list as above...
    3400 psi and you can strip the paint off your car for repainting, and as I said above do not dead head the pump, AKA let it run with out flowing water or you will overheat the pump, also us winter guys have to remove all the hoses, and blow air through the pump for storage, if it freeze even once your toy is done for.

One final Caveat, do not run the pumps dry, they are water lubricated and cooled, so bleed all the air before running.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Get the best one with the most psi you can afford, just change out the tips & dial down the pressure for the truck. You'll always find new things to power wash & not having enough power to do the job really sucks.
    This is correct, but I've seen a lot of trucks, Jeeps, ATVs and bikes ruined by people trying to just squeek a little closer to that magic threshold. If you are disiplined enough to actually follow the rules, then by all means, buy the bigger machine. I'm not, so I bought the little Craftsman for a dedicated dirtbike/Jeep cleaner.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Got mine from Lowes. It came with 5 tips that fit any job iv needed it for. Cost about 150.00 about 2 years ago. The high presure tip will take off paint.

As long as you use some sense, stay away from weak areas or paint that has already been comprimised, you shouldn't have any problems. For thick dried on mud on my pickups, I have actually found that the pressure washers don't do as much good as a good ole garden hose sprayer. I suppose if it is still wet, they would, but once thick mud dries, it gets all caked on, and the pressure washers don't really put out much water, just high pressure. For dried on mud, soak it down real good with a hose first, then use the pressure washer to take it off. (I'm not talking about a little road grime here, but THICK clay mud, several inches thick on the undercarriage)

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Agreed! Works great.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    1) My 75 cent wash always needs a second set of quarters to get all the soap off.

2) Pay attention to thread started a few months back by bubba21b--- and don't leave home without something.

Mny years ago I used to work for a mobile power wash company (brother-in-laws). Any washer around 1500 to 2500 will work, but what I would look for is one with the most gpm. Home pw will probably run aroun 2-3 gpm, the commercial ones I flowed 8+ gpm, it really makes a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links