Westboro Baptist Church to Picket a play in my hometown?

This is a discussion on Westboro Baptist Church to Picket a play in my hometown? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just saw a counter-protest event on Facebook and confirmed with the WBC site that they are planning on coming all the way up to ...

I just saw a counter-protest event on Facebook and confirmed with the WBC site that they are planning on coming all the way up to my hometown in Wisconsin to protest a play about accepting gays or something (The Laramie Project) at my old High School. It would be nice if they would crawl back under whatever rock they came from.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I don't care if they picket a play. It is their constitutional right. But I do think they cross the line when they show up to picket the funeral of our fallen soldiers. Many thanks to the Patriot Riders for helping to keep them at a distance from the funerals.

We need a big internet crusade to change the WBC to Westboro Bathroom Commode
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

If this were still the great country it once was, then whenever and wherever the Westboro freaks showed up, they would be met with a few pickup trucks filled with good old boys wielding axe handles. The local FD would show up and turn firehoses on them. They would be pelted with rotten vegetables and forced to make a spirited run for their very lives.

Since that's unlikely to pass muster today, maybe you could round up some civic-minded types on motorcycles and drown them out with the roaring of glass-packed mufflers.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I don't understand how they get by with calling themselves a "church" and "Christians." There is nothing church or Christian-like among their ranks.

They just use the Church and Christianity as an outlet for their hatred. I believe it gives them justification to go on these protests.

Maybe someday they will all get hit accidentally by lightning during one of their "protests."
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    I don't care if they picket a play. It is their constitutional right. But I do think they cross the line when they show up to picket the funeral of our fallen soldiers. Many thanks to the Patriot Riders for helping to keep them at a distance from the funerals.
    I don't have a problem with someone picketing a play either. I have a problem with who they are though, and I would rather they stay in Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    If this were still the great country it once was, then whenever and wherever the Westboro freaks showed up, they would be met with a few pickup trucks filled with good old boys wielding axe handles. The local FD would show up and turn firehoses on them. They would be pelted with rotten vegetables and forced to make a spirited run for their very lives.

Since that's unlikely to pass muster today, maybe you could round up some civic-minded types on motorcycles and drown them out with the roaring of glass-packed mufflers.
    I only know 1 person that rides a motorcycle (not really something people do in my area, its weird). I could get 20 people with straight pipes off a 350 though, but I'm planning on staying away from this whole ordeal. If they were picketing a funeral or something equally distasteful, I'd be there. I'll be spending my Saturday like every other, throwing a few hundred rounds of 9mm down range, and sighting in my new red dot scope.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

The WBC is all about extortion. They picket hoping that their "Civil Rights" will be infringed, there by suing the the alleged perpetrators. They are successful at it. One of their members is an attorney who knows how to work the system. How else can they fund their little hate forays? The best thing to do is ignore them as best as you can.

They were just in my town, Park City UT, a week or two ago. They were here to protest one of the films in the Sundance Film Festival. The local high school kids put together a counter-protest, 200+ high school kids, and drowned out Westboro's chanting. Kudos to Park City High School...

Hey! We don't want them here either. I wish they would all gather to protest a funeral for a brave man or woman who volunteered to die for their safety and the area where they stand would suddenly turn into a massive sinkhole and suck them all away.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I hope they cross the line one day, physically, and someone puts them down (not lethally).

I'd gladly spend the night in jail just to nail the ring leader in the jaw, just once. I'd make sure he saw my memorial bracelet with the name of a fallen Soldier on it just before I nailed him.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Links