Dealer sent customer letter regarding ATF audit

This is a discussion on Dealer sent customer letter regarding ATF audit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I received a certified letter from a dealer a short time back. Seems the dealer screwed up the paperwork on a transaction and the BATF ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealer sent customer letter regarding ATF audit

VIP Member

Dealer sent customer letter regarding ATF audit

I received a certified letter from a dealer a short time back. Seems the dealer screwed up the paperwork on a transaction and the BATF called the error out. Some of you may remember...

a year or two I posted questioning if I am the legal owner of a firearm. The firearm was placed on consignment at the dealer's shop. The dealer sold the firearm to a customer, who returned the firearm a week or so later. Seems the new owner did not like the firearm. Anyway I went round and round with the dealer that I did not believe I legally owned the firearm anymore. The dealer agrued and refused to pay. About a year later I took the firearm off consignment.

Seems like the BATF may agree with me. The dealer screwed up.

Now, I took my lunch break to pick up a certified letter from the post office. The dealer expects me to come into the shop within the next so many days and sign new paperwork. No phone call, no hey, could you help us out, just a polite/impolite letter placing demands on my time. The round trip drive to the shop is a couple of hours.

My thought at this time is to ignore the whole thing. I have already lost a lunch break to this mess. I don't wish to drive the couple of hours round trip to fix their mess. No law enforement agency has asked me to do anything. Frankly, I don't wish to get involved in the dealer's problems with the BATF.

So, what do the folks on the DC think?

2. Remove Ads

I am confused as to how a 4473 can determine legal ownership as I can buy a gun in a gun shop and sell it legally FTF without any paperwork required. Does that mean I can call the atf ten years from now and cry that I am the "legal owner" of the firearm and I want it back? NO. it is just a TRANSACTION record that FFL's are required to keep. I think this is the dealers screw up and he should give you compensation for your time to assist in fixing HIS paperwork mistake.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Send them a letter saying since they know where you live, bring the paperwork to you. Why would they expect you to incur the expenses to correct their error?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Send them a letter saying since they know where you live, bring the paperwork to you. Why would they expect you to incur the expenses to correct their error?
    I concur
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

VIP Member
    Either that, or they reimburse you for your time and gas prior to you going to their place of business to fix their book keeping error.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Good suggestions. I'm mulling the matter over. I only have the dealer's side of the story - nothing from the BATF. Clearly, the dealer screwed up their section of the 4473, most likely describing the type of transaction. Still, I'm not sure I want to go back and fill out another form for a transaction that happened almost a year ago.

I do like the suggestion that the dealer can come to me to fix their mess. Still thinking it over.

Anyway I went round and round with the dealer that I did not believe I legally owned the firearm anymore. The dealer agrued and refused to pay.

I'd tell them I'm not interested, I didn't like the way you treated me during this whole transaction, your on your own.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Anyway I went round and round with the dealer that I did not believe I legally owned the firearm anymore. The dealer agrued and refused to pay.

I'd tell them I'm not interested, I didn't like the way you treated me during this whole transaction, your on your own.
    +1....a wise old man told me years ago...this type of situation is called "the screwing you got for the screwing you gave" Ignore it, and move on. Respond to any formal inquiries from the BATFE, only.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would write them a letter which said only "WHAT GUN ? ", or " I don't own such gun " . See how long it takes for them to call you. .... LOL.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I would respond that my personal time is worth 500.00 hour,it will take about 4 hours of my time plus expenses to come fix your screwup,$2200.00 should cover it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I think your time would be worth at least a new Glock.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Unless I was under some legal obligation at this moment, which I don't see being the case here, they would have to come to me at my convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Unless I was under some legal obligation at this moment, which I don't see being the case here, they would have to come to me at my convenience.
    And I would make it very inconvienent for them!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Ex Member
    Sounds like they 'made you dance' a bit. I would return the favor. A few boxes of ammo isn't out of the question, it would be better for them than get their license pulled.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I would go sign the papers and get the thing straightened out - you were right before, it took a while for them to figure it out, but sooner or later the record will float to the surface at the most inconvenient time. Incomplete paperwork can cause no end of trouble if it gets entered into a computer someplace for whatever reason. Sometimes swimming upstream doesn't get you anyplace you want to go.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links