Allow me to rant here for a moment.....

This is a discussion on Allow me to rant here for a moment..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was leaving the Plainfield Walmart today, for those of you in the Indianapolis area, you probably know where this is. As I was pulling ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Allow me to rant here for a moment.....

Allow me to rant here for a moment.....

I was leaving the Plainfield Walmart today, for those of you in the Indianapolis area, you probably know where this is. As I was pulling out, I yeilded to a small Dodge Neon that had the right of way. As he drove by, I noticed that his front drivers side tire was about as flat as it could be without actually being completely flat. But he was obviously not aware of it. So when we got to the stop sign to turn out onto 40 I motioned for him to roll his window down as we were beside each other in the turn lanes.

I told him his front tire was almost flat. Now, those of you who live in the South, you will undoubtedly know that this is a common thing that people do there. We look out of each other. Even in Memphis people will do this kind of thing. It's called BEING A DECENT PERSON.

Now that I am in the North, what do you suppose I got for being a decent person? I got flipped off, told to go F myself and then, as he obviously recognized the Tennessee Vols ball cap I always have on, he told me to "Go back to Tennessee you inbred F-er."

So that's it. I'm done being nice to any of these damn yankees. I have had it up to my eyeballs with these rude people. I'm done with them. I was already looking ever day for a job back in Memphis but I assure you, I am now looking for jobs there every free moment I have.

Unbelievable.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit. I feel better now. A little.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Well I live in WV where the line between Yankee and redneck is very thin, and blurry at times. I am pretty far south in the state right now, but have lived pretty far north. I know what you are talking about and am sorry you are so miserable where you are. I have been there. Hopefully you will find happiness ASAP.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sounds like he was from Massachuetts.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

That's Sad, Not too long ago I had forgot to close my gas cap cover, when I came to a light down the road a guy motion to me to roll down my window and told me my gas cap cover was opened, I thanked him, got out of my vehicle and closed it and went on my way.

We've spoken briefly about your hopeful move back to TN. I spent 28 of my 31 years in New York, and now live in TN. Dont associate that jack wagon with the typical Yankee. I think as a whole, Yankees arent any meaner than anyone else.... I'm guessing this social reject was just having a bad day. Maybe the ex girlfriend just let the air out of his tires, and he knows its flat. You pointing it out might have just sent him over the edge. Who knows. Either way, that guy sucks. Good luck getting back to TN :)

VIP Member
    Actually quit one truck driving job since the only loads they sent me on were in the north or northeast (did have another job lined up beforehand), got so tired of bad attitudes and tolls I could not take it anymore. It seems like the people up north are born with bad attitudes and they just get worse with age. By the way, I did not find out dam-yankee was two words until I was sixteen.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Mike, I'm a Yankee through and through; my roots go back far enough to call my ancestors "undocumented aliens" 150+ years before the American Revolution. I'm also a Boy Scout in spirit, and many times I've done the exact same as you - try to get the attention of a motorist to alert him about an unsafe condition. Over the years the responses I've gotten have ranged from heartfelt thanks to what you just described.

Frankly, I think the response has little to do with location above or below the Mason-Dixon line, and much more to do with population density. In New York and Boston, you don't make eye contact with other drivers, but 15 miles out of either city it's a vastly different story. With all due respect, don't turn this into a North vs. South thing, in spite of the insult you got. You can find rude and boorish people almost anywhere, and generally there are more of 'em in cities than in less urban areas.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

There are inconsiderate and hostile people everywhere! If you interact with the general public, your bound to dig one up every now and again!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Even in Memphis, which is not known as a capitol city of nice people, this kind of thing never happened to me. And honestly, I have encountered more rude people in the last 8 months than I have in the last 25 years of my life. And that includes plenty of rude ones in this small town of less that 1200 people we live in. So I find it hard to believe that it's not a North vs. South thing guys.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Even in Memphis, which is not known as a capitol city of nice people, this kind of thing never happened to me. And honestly, I have encountered more rude people in the last 8 months than I have in the last 25 years of my life. And that includes plenty of rude ones in this small town of less that 1200 people we live in. So I find it hard to believe that it's not a North vs. South thing guys.
    Maybe he read your thread and KNEW you wanted to move back to TN. :)
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Don't let 'em get you down. There's sweet tea waitin' for you when you get back.

Try delivering furniture into homes with folks like that. NOTHING you could do would please some of them. Problem was, they were already in NC. They ran away from a laundry list of problems, just ask them. Then they want to make everything "just like home." Go figure.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Sorry about that, Mike. Damn Yankees. Rude, inconsiderate slob, that fella was. He'll get his. The wheel turns, and Karma's a bite.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In New York and Boston, you don't make eye contact with other drivers,
    Yes you do, right before you flip them the bird.

Don't let it get you down Mike, crap happens as they say. Sometimes good deeds don't go "unpunished" but don't stop doing them because of one inconsiderate jerk.

I live in West Virginia well below the Mason-Dixon line, the unofficial border between the North and South. On a trip to visit some folks many years ago in Westminister, SC we stayed in Toccoa, GA just across the state border. Only motel within miles was there. I went into an Eckerd drugstore to purchase film for my 35mm camera and the gal behind the counter thought I was "shouting" at her by just asking for a roll of film in my normal voice. The film was behind the counter way up the wall on a rack. I guess for security reasons, huh?

I told her that I wasn't shouting, could I please get a roll of film and as she turned to get it, she muttered "You New Yorker's are all alike!"

I had to gently tell her that I was from West Virginia and that I have never even been close to New York. I guess being that far south I sounded like a "Yankee."
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Mike, you're describing one of my biggest struggles in life. It's much easier to ignore the sorry people in this world, and I've spent a significant portion of my life doing just that. It's what comes natural to me.

A while back, I decided to do my best to be kind to folks, even ones I don't like. Most of the time I get kicked in the teeth for my efforts. It makes me mad, I get depressed, and then I pick myself up and go again the next day. I believe this is what "fighting the good fight" is all about. Hang in there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links