Can somebody help this poor guy out

This is a discussion on Can somebody help this poor guy out within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I got this email and I have to wonder how many people still fall for this? Hello, I'm sorry for this odd request and I'm ...

Thread: Can somebody help this poor guy out

I got this email and I have to wonder how many people still fall for this?

Hello,

I'm sorry for this odd request and I'm not joking.I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,My Family and I traveled to Glasgow,Scotland for a short vacation unfortunately for us we got mugged at gun point last night at the park of the hotel where we lodged all cash,credit cards and cell phones were stolen from us.

Right now we are owing the hotel $3,000USD and the hotel manager won't allow us leave until we settle the hotel bills. We are freaked out and right now we have limited access to emails because we are financially stranded am at a local library to have access to the internet trying to contact you for help,please we need you to loan us $3,000USD so we can make arrangements and return back we are full of panic now,the police only asked us to write a statement about the incident since we are not a citizen they had to direct us to the embassy,we have spoken to the embassy here but they are not responding to the matter effectively, we will refund your money back to you as soon as we are back,we are so confused right now and thank God we weren't injured because we complied immediately.

Waiting to read from you so we can let you know how to get the money wired to us

Thanks.

If the poor guy got mugged yesterday where was he staying for $3,000 per night?

If the hotel let him leave to go to the library why didn't he keep on going?

So who is stepping up to help a fellow person?

that happened to me 20 times; then I got smart.................

Hah! I got that email last year "from" one of my customers. I called them up and told them how happy I was that they made it back safely... They had been receiving calls all morning from everyone in their address book. Had they really been in Belgium (mine said), I would have been taking care of their dog, lol.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Hey, you know him too?

This happened to my wife a few years ago. Someone hacked her email and sent something similar to this to all of her contacts. One morning her phone started blowing up with friends and family wanting to know if we were ok and how we made it to Spain since the previous night when we saw them. I had to re-school her in the use of secure passwords and now she knows why they are important.

I wonder as well how people still fall for this kind of stuff.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I think someone should reply with this:

Here is a check for $5000 please deposit it and send me back the other $2000 I promise it isn't a scam.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Administrator
    OR....(since all of their cell phones were stolen) - he could just use the hotel phone to call his credit card company and report his credit card stolen & they will overnight issue him a new credit card that he can use to pay his hotel bill.

I got the same email from a lady I work with, and I had talked to her in the parking lot when we left work less than an hour before!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    But he said wrote the email with "tears in his eyes". I mean, that's proves that he's for real, right?

That has got to be one of the most poorly thought-out lies that I've seen in a while.

VIP Member
    I lost a couple hundred to a similar scam. The e-mail appeared to come from someone I actually know. Only after I sent the money did I discover by looking at the return headers that the request was bogus. Someone stole my real-friend's contact list. Sent e-mails to people on it with a story, but had the return e-mails going to the fraudster.

"at gun point"????? In Scotland???? Yeah, sure, I'd bite at that one.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Right now we are owing the hotel $3,000USD and the hotel manager won't allow us leave until we settle the hotel bills. We are freaked out and right now we have limited access to emails because we are financially stranded am at a local library to have access to the internet trying to contact you for help,please we need you to loan us $3,000USD so we can make arr
    He's being held by the hotel, but he's communicating on the internet at the local library. And a loan of $3K from me to them would resolve everything. Yeah ... I bet it would.

Here is a check for $5000 please deposit it and send me back the other $2000 I promise it isn't a scam.
    Nah. I'm not hanging paper for anyone, particularly for someone at the prompting of an out-of-the-blue internet email. I've found that asking for the person's full contact information often does the trick. It's the rare bird who supplies it. The more information I can wean out of them, the more there is for the little note to the FBI about the wire fraud attempt being made.

Lately, I've been having a number of attempts at passing lies such as this, with some classified ads I've got for some items. It's amazing what trash floats to the surface, once you post an ad to sell something. It's almost not worthwhile, anymore.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I had a friend that that happened to. He got on Facebook and told everyone about it. He's an LEO here and goes to our church, so most of his friends on email knew he was in church that Sunday!! Nice try whoever hacked his account!!
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

Buy me a plane ticket and reserve a room, and I'll go over and make sure everything's legite for ya.

I was quite serious about bidding and buying a car via Ebay. I thought something just didn't click though, so when I did some internet searching.... I found the same picture of the same car advertised 3 other places, total different names, different location, etc. I notified Ebay, who then investigated and notified me that they had discovered it was all a fraud and shut them down.

A friend was looking at a horse trailer on Ebay, then the person wanted to "conduct business " on the side, outside of Ebay, and would cut the price ... if he would send the money. He was about to do it until I convinced him NOT too .... and to check it out in person, since the location was only 60 miles away. It was a total fraud.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links