Anyone know anything about old Land Rovers?

This is a discussion on Anyone know anything about old Land Rovers? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have the opportunity to purchase a 1962 Land Rover Series IIa 88 (short wheel base). The body is in very good shape based on ...

Thread: Anyone know anything about old Land Rovers?

VIP Member

Anyone know anything about old Land Rovers?

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1962 Land Rover Series IIa 88 (short wheel base). The body is in very good shape based on a pretty quick visual inspection, and has a new canvas top, new tires, new upholstery, and a recently rebuilt engine. The mileage is unknown due to the new engine - guestimate around 125,000. No rust, no serious body issues, seems to crank over and run quite well. Any forum members have any idea what I might look for, or what a general ball park price might be? Thanks!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I have no idea; but it sounds pretty damn cool.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    It is VERY damn cool. I just need to make sure it's US legal - that year/series has its headlights inside the fenders in the radiator box; that was a no-no in the US so they changed it in later years... Plus, I'd have to pay to ship it back, and so on... Still, it is the coolest thing since sliced bread.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Sponsor
    This is what you'd see on old documentaries and movies about the African savanna.

In fact in the TV show "Daktari", they drive a Land Rover like the one you describe and a Jeep pick up
    Go with the glow

VIP Member
    Yep. I've wanted one for a long time, but they are pretty rare in the US, especially in this good of a condition.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    This thread is worthless without pics!
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    I agree. I'm supposed to meet with the seller next week, I'll get some then.

Administrator
    Here is a vid of a rough 1961, just so other have an idea of what you are talking about;

YouTube - land rover

And some nicer ones, I have no clue as to year/series though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiEfG...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QjKKfITlgQ&NR=1
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    atctimmy <----- jealous.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have never had a Land Rover, but I have worked on, restored and bought/sold old British Sports cars of that era. I assume that all products used Lucas electrics, Lucas is not known as the "Prince of Darkness" for nothing. British cars of that era were notorious for electrical issues, many times due to corroded contacts. Even a bad contact in the taillight will give you fits tracing the fault. Frankly, the vehicle is pretty simple so if you needed to, you could replace the entire loom with some mechanical knowledge and skill and lots of patience. Make sure all the lights work properly, jiggle switches, etc on the dash to make sure you do not get flickers, etc. (Why do Englishmen drink warm beer? They have Lucas refrigerators). Since the engine was rebuilt, I assume the carbs were done at the same time. I believe the original was a Solex carb, I would think it not unusual to see a different set up which is OK (Webers possibly). Other than that, look at it like any used car, check shocks for leaking fluid, transmission for leaking fluid etc. When they did the engine, did they replace the clutch at the same time? Normally you would since the engine was pulled for the job.

If you are not ready to live in do it yourself land, be careful. Mechanics are hard to find that know anything about these vehicles of that age. All British cars of that age are quirky, but a real hoot to own when they run right.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

It is VERY damn cool. I just need to make sure it's US legal
    It might be subject to special rules too, due to its age. Very cool.

Links