Wondering if I am alone here

This is a discussion on Wondering if I am alone here within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have come the the conclusion that I completely hate what I do for a living. I'm not exaggerating here either. I absolutely detest my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I have come the the conclusion that I completely hate what I do for a living. I'm not exaggerating here either. I absolutely detest my job.

I am looking into switching career fields but I am already pretty sure I won't be able to. I'd have to start over and wouldn't be making anywhere close to what I am in the field I am in now and I really can't do that.

I know what some will say, many people do not like their job. I understand this. I don't do this job because I like it I do it to feed my family. It's just getting harder to keep coming in when I feel this strongly about how much I hate it.

Just voicing a feeling here.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I'm with you Mike, the ONLY upside is that I'm still in school and once I leave Ft. Sam I'll have an outlet once a month.
    But right now the only job I can seem to get are in the Hotel business which is run entirely differently over here.

Just hang in there brother.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Administrator
    Funny you mention this, I was just browsing my options myself. LE wasn't my first career, I just sort of fell into it. Sometimes I wonder if I should have stuck with my original plan. While I do not hate my job, (I actually do like it) my passion lies else where. As it is, I'm just happy I can make a comfortable living and I'm not worried about making ends meet or losing my job. LE does wear a guy down though.

You only live once. I'd hate to be in a position of dreading my day everyday. I'd find a way to fix it if it were me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

TN Mike, you're not alone. Hang in there.

Howdy!

When I was young I had some advise me if I did not like my job I should find one I did like. Quit the next day. Being prior military I like it but not the pay scale, so I went into law enforcement and loved every day of it. Every day was different for me and I always looked forward to going to work and doing my job. I even miss it now that I'm retired. Don't know it this helps, but good luck.

"Happy Trails"
    chiefneon

SIXTO, I think any job can wear you down eventually but here's my predicament. I'm sick of working with people who do not know their jobs but are convinced that they do and that they know MY job better than I do. In short, I'm tired of working with stupid people. The longer I am in this profession, the more stupid people I encounter.

Thanks guys. I hate that some of you feel the same way about your jobs but it's nice to know that I'm not alone.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I quit a job i was at for 13 years because i was not happy with what i was doing anymore. Found a job starting out atthe same pay with less hours. Loving it went from working 60+ hours to working 45 max.

I haven't worked a day in the last 8 years. I found a job i love doing and it's actually fun going to work every day.

I stayed in the same field but different area of work. I love cars and being around them and dealerships. Didn't like sales and got burned out in the service department. Now I'm the I.T. guy and love every day! Still get to be around the people I enjoy and things I like.

Prior to that was in the same boat.

I dont like mine either. LE was not what I wanted to do, but all this time later, and here I am. In 5 years I am retiring and going back to school. I always wanted to be an anthrapoligist or archeologist. So , thats what I want to be when I grow up.

You are not alone. The predicament of many. Watch Glengarry Glen Ross sometime. Excellent film. Death of a Salesman too. Just be observant - changing ships gets harder as age increases, and well nigh becomes impossible at times.

Added:

Stupid people are everywhere. Ignorant folks too. Little dictators are in abundance. Wonders never cease. There's even one in the White...........Oppssssssssssss

Henry David Thoreau once wrote, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation." You are hardly alone.

My challenge for a bunch of years was in my home life, not in the job. An opportunity came my way, I took a risk, and it paid off. Now in the last quarter of my career, the job has become the challenge. I am about to take another big risk, but a considered and measured one, to set the situation straight and to provide for my lady and my family.

Mike, I feel for you. You need to provide for your loved ones but it sounds like you're close to selling your soul to do it in your current situation. My suggestion is to pray for guidance and to continue to reach out among your various communities (like this one) for networking contacts and opportunities.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I'm sick of working with people who do not know their jobs but are convinced that they do and that they know MY job better than I do. In short, I'm tired of working with stupid people. The longer I am in this profession, the more stupid people I encounter.
    That is EXACTLY why I just got a new job. Fortunately for me it's more money! But its also going to be boring work that I won't enjoy as much.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

While I believe few people are fortunate enough to TRULY LOVE what they do, I believe life is way too short to let yourself be miserable. So much of our time is spent working, it's important that we at least be comfortable doing what we do.

I know that feeling of dread everyday. I made a relatively small change that has made a large difference. It ain't always easy but I'm much more pleased with the results.

Hang in there Mike and do what right thing suits you. Like I said, life's too damn short.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

No you're not alone. I have always found myself doing jobs/careers that was skilled in rather than really enjoying.

And in 2003 I was RIF'ed from my "career" of ten tears and struggled for the better part of the two years in my misidentification of myself as to what my professional title used to be rather than who I really was. In 2005 I reinvented myself career and job-wise, and even now six years later I can't say I particularly like my job.

But, and its taking me a few years to realize this, I've come around to thinking that I needed to change my priorities. What I learned really matters to me professionally is to provide a decent living for my family, and as long as I can do that in some meaningful way, I now count that as being professionally successful (and frankly in this economic environment, pretty doggone lucky). To me, all the rest-including the professional identification and glory, is so much fluff when I compare it to the titles of Husband to my wife, the Daddy of my daughters, the Son to my mother, and a member in the family of God. It's this mental priority shift that absorbs the awful (work) days for me, and makes the every (work) day do-able.

Sure I'd love to have a position I truely loved doing day in an day out, who wouldn't? But those are truly rare, and unfortunately my fantasy job titles including "beach bum" and "professional fly fisherman" generally don't pay too well :)

C-

Nope, you are not alone... Well, I don't hate my job... I've been in it for 30 years... And my plans were to retire this year... But, right now, I'm grateful to have a job... in a few months when gas hits 5.00+ a gallon... I'll be even more grateful. prolly won't be pursuing a new career this year.

They say that if you do what you truly love, the money will follow... It may be true.. but many of us can't afford to wait for it (the money) to "catch up!"
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links