RipOff Report!!

This is a discussion on RipOff Report!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is a rant and a warning. I am and have been a customer of Tiger Direct, TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks ...

Thread: RipOff Report!!

RipOff Report!!

This is a rant and a warning. I am and have been a customer of Tiger Direct, TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics and I like them. I have gotten some great deals from them. BUT, this is a warning I am putting on every forum I visit. TD sells a product called TechForward Guaranteed Buy Back Program.
    These people are utter criminals. I paid $19.98 for the program on 12-13-09 and never received any email, snail mail, or any other conformation that I actually bought something.

Flash forward to today. My son's Gateway NV52 refurb computer's display died. I call TechForward to get something for the laptop, which is supposed to be 30% off of a new device. Instead, I woudl in fact get, after two to three weeks, get 25% of some arbitrary salvage value.

Now here is the criminal part. IF I was stupid enough to send my laptop to the crooks, and I didn't like the money they were offering, I WOULD NEVER GET MY LAPTOP BACK! I confirmed this with a Supervisor. They are absolute thieves. DO NOT BUY THIS PROGRAM!!!

I am pissed off right now, but I am not exaggerating anything, this is all confirmed, their phone number is 877-623-5681 and you can call to confirm this if you want.

I have told Tiger Direct and Systemax, their parent company about this and I am filing a complaint with the California Attorney General.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

Good to know. Sounds like they are pulling the wool over customer's eyes.

Did you see a contract or read any type of agreement online before signing up? Is there a place you can read it online right now? I'm never a big fan of companies hiding details in contracts and agreements, but it's also our personal responsibility to know exactly what we are getting when we pay for something. I hate finding out later that I'm arguing about something that is clearly in a contract. If the company violates a contract though, game on.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I never buy the extended warranty or buyback program on electronics. The failure curve for quality electronic equipment under normal usage is such that it will either fail within the first 1-3 months, or not for several years. So most of the time it will either be covered by the original warranty or it will be too late for even the extended warranty.

I love Tiger Direct and buy most of my computer hardware there. I have a feeling they may end up dropping these crooks. Tiger Direct is an excellent company with a great reputation that they won't want tainted by these 3rd party thieves.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

There was no contract I saw, as I bought it from Tiger when I bought the laptop. But, TD did refund the $19.98.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

JD
    Administrator
    I'm no rocket surgeon, but the description of the product your listing states:

Condition Ratings:
    In order to receive your full Guaranteed Buyback amount, your LAPTOP must be received in “Good Condition”. Good Condition is defined as: The device is fully functional, with normal visible wear and tear. Device must be returned with substantially all components, original software installation disks, manuals, peripheral devices and all other accessories that originally shipped with the device.
    Having a busted display is probably not normal wear and tear and not fully functional. It looks like you get a portion of what they resell it for, but in the case of a non-functional computer...yeah they'd probably scrap it. Also it's clearly stated that:

Ensure your device will be reused or recycled. A Guaranteed Buyback plan is a great way to ensure your device is reused instead of just dumped in the garbage. When TechForward receives your used device, we resell it to someone who needs it. And instead of simply giving you a portion of whatever we might get for it, we guarantee an amount we'll pay you for the device, regardless of what we're able to sell it for.
    So if yo send it in to be recycled or sold for "X" amount, why wold you expect to get it back?

Not trying to be harsh, just not seeing what the real issue is. You bought a product that you either didn't read the the description of or didn't understand. Seems the only thing you should be bent about is that you never got your claim number in the mail...

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Nice catch JD. I didn't bother to read the item listing, I just went on what was posted and thought it was a warranty, not a buyback program for resale. And Unkl, you proved what I was saying. TigerDirect is a great company to deal with. Them refunding the purchase price for Techforward is just another example of the kind of business I like to spend my money at.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Links