Is it just me or what...

This is a discussion on Is it just me or what... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Or maybe it is just God telling me to be patient with my fellow man, but damn I am seeing a heap of people totally ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or what...

Exclamation Is it just me or what...

Or maybe it is just God telling me to be patient with my fellow man, but damn I am seeing a heap of people totally blowing off stop signs!!

40 years of motorcycle riding has taught me many things and one is to stop, pause, do a left right left while looking in your rear view mirror before you go...

People doing real stupid things from slow n go, to hit the throttle who needs to slow down, they can stop for me....

I'm out on a grocery run, icy roads, it's getting dark, my headlights are on, small reddish car approaching the intersection to my right is doing close to 30 gets to the intersection and nails the throttle side slipping into the opposite lane....

Real stupid enough, patience, take a breath, calm down but driving is bad enough with out this level of careless disreguard....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

Oh it's not just you, last Saturday taking one of my boys to the doctor had a trooper I'm a fully marked car at my 10:00, we were doing about 9 over in a 60, looked in my rvm and seen a small import weaving through traffic coming up fast.

He came right up to me in the passing lane that the trooper was in, swerved across 3 lanes of traffic and passed us like we were standing still, my best guess he was going about 90-95. Well I must say that the trooper was on them like stink on poop. When I came up on them about a mile later it was a car load of Jerseys best youths according to the plates.

One hour later on the way home they were still there only it went from 1 to 4 NCHP cruisers with each in a back seat along with their car being torn apart on the side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    Oh it's not just you, last Saturday taking one of my boys to the doctor had a trooper I'm a fully marked car at my 10:00, we were doing about 9 over in a 60, looked in my rvm and seen a small import weaving through traffic coming up fast.

He came right up to me in the passing lane that the trooper was in, swerved across 3 lanes of traffic and passed us like we were standing still, my best guess he was going about 90-95. Well I must say that the trooper was on them like stink on poop. When I came up on them about a mile later it was a car load of Jerseys best youths according to the plates.

One hour later on the way home they were still there only it went from 1 to 4 NCHP cruisers with each in a back seat along with their car being torn apart on the side of the road.

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I see people running stop signs all the time. It amazes me that some don't even look for traffic.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    And from what I can tell, they have no real obligation to put it back together again. I've seen this even more in SC along 85.

I drive a tractor trailer for a living. It's not just you. Some of the stuff I see is just mind boggling.

At one intersection on my run, I have a close call about once a week. I have to swing wide left, and just as my trailer leaves the lane, I cut right. Right turn signal is on the entire time. Folks still think they can blow by me through the intersection. Nope. Nearly got a nice BMW under the trailer a couple weeks ago. Then the stop line on the road I am turning onto is there for a reason, to give us room to make the turn. People pull past that line, and I get so close I can't see most of their hood. The look kinda nervous too. Then don't pull 1 car length over the line.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    I used to drive an 18 also and I would swear that at 8 feet wide and almost 70 feet long my truck had to have been invisible. Some of the things I have seen 4 wheelers do made me believe they either have a death wish or just did not want to live. I gave up motorcycle riding too after a Toyota took the bike out from under me when she ran a red light; I just lost my nerve after that.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Is it just me or what... I am seeing a heap of people totally blowing off stop signs!!
    It's not just you, no.

My years riding a motorcycle taught me much. Mostly, it helped make me a life-long defensive driver as if I were still riding motorcycles. To this day, I am incredibly cautious around crossings, places at which other drivers can be expected to do anything, if given enough time. Like many of you, I've practically seen it all. It's appalling to think how deadly such impacts could be if a car had been going through the intersection at just the wrong time, during some of the blown signs and lights I have seen. My caution has saved my bacon more times than I can count.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Situational awareness will save your butt.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I used to drive an 18 also and I would swear that at 8 feet wide and almost 70 feet long my truck had to have been invisible. Some of the things I have seen 4 wheelers do made me believe they either have a death wish or just did not want to live. I gave up motorcycle riding too after a Toyota took the bike out from under me when she ran a red light; I just lost my nerve after that.
    Hook that 70 feet on to the back of a tri-axle wrecker and see how fast you disappear! You can absolutely count on someone pulling into your lane on front of you coming up to a red light. And then they have the nerve to look at you with this what look when you lay on the airhorns as you come within an inch of their bumper.

Smile

SheldonJ you are wrong, people are not running stop signs. This is a misconception on your part as it is on mine. I continue to make the mistake of stopping drivers for running stop signs and am told how wrong I have been in my belief of their infractions.

Me: "Good morning sir or madam I stopped you for failing to obey the traffic control device and not stopping for the stop sign at the intersection of Main Street and First Avenue. Is there any lawful reason why you did not stop".

Them: " I stopped "!

See what I mean. It's this way nearly every time I stop them but they have already stopped so I am wrong for stopping them. This even happens when they are sitting in the middle of the intersection with their vehicle imbedded in the side of another vehicle who also stopped for their stop sign.

This is also happening to me at traffic signals only this time I am mistaking amber lights for red lights.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I had a friend in the auto body repair business. He would say that the first few days of spring where as good for his business as the worst ice storm. We are having a early spring (maybe short term break) here in SC.

I drive a 7-foot tall Jeep with 33" tires and you'd think I'm invisible too. I regularly have people in little imports and whatnot pull in front of me or run signs/lights. I'm not driving an 18-wheeler, but believe you me, if my Jeep hits your Honda at 45MPH there is one thing for sure. My Jeep *will* win.

I have to keep a careful eye out for you motorcycle riders, especially the crazy ones on sport bikes. I have a 33" spare on the back of my Jeep and I can't see you guys when I'm doing 60MPH on the highway and you're riding a foot off my bumper. I can hear you, but I don't know where you are.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

No, it isn't just you. I have noticed the same thing. I regularly now drive with my headlights on during the day just to try to help these fools see me a little better. My Cherokee isn't bright yellow but it isn't invisible either.

I wish I knew what was going on. I have seen more and more people over the last couple of years run red lights, stop signs and seeming have no idea what a yield sign even means. I would think that they no longer require a written and driving test to get a DL but my daughter just recently got hers and there was both a written and driving test.

I'm at a loss to explain it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

No, Sheldon, you are definitely not alone. I see folks running stop signs, barrelling through red lights and just disobeying traffic laws in general almost everyday, and I'm no cop either.

A few years ago I went on a citizen ride with a buddy of mine who is a Jacksonville Police Officer. We had some kid run a stop sign right in front of the cruiser so fast, he nearly crashed into the patrol car. My buddy red-lighted him as he pulled into an apartment complex parking lot and got out headed for dodge.

My buddy ordered him to stop almost at gun-point and asked me to go get the moron's license and registration to the vehicle. Moron protested but gave me the stuff and said "What did I do?"

Officer says "You ran the stop sign in front of me back there." Moron says " What sign?"

Officer says " the big eight- sided red one that says STOP"

This moron had the audacity to say that in Florida you could roll up to a stop sign and if nobody was coming, just ram right on through. I'd say he was going to be a Darwin award candidate at some point.

My buddy wrote him a $70+ "failure to yield the right of way" citation and he threw a tanturm that almost got his sorry hide beat down.

Morons.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Stupidity is rarely particular as to what catagory of activity it manifests itself in.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links