Smartphone Pictures Pose Security Risk For You And Your Children!!

Smartphone Pictures Pose Security Risk For You And Your Children!!

This is a discussion on Smartphone Pictures Pose Security Risk For You And Your Children!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After watching these news articles you won’t use your cell phone camera again without changing the security settings first! GPS in cameras and phones creates ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Smartphone Pictures Pose Security Risk For You And Your Children!!

VIP Member

Exclamation Smartphone Pictures Pose Security Risk For You And Your Children!!

After watching these news articles you won’t use your cell phone camera again without changing the security settings first!

GPS in cameras and phones creates privacy issue | Video | 7online.com

YouTube - Smartphone pictures pose privacy risks
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Thank you. I'll be doing more research and forwarding this as appropriate. We work with a lot of kids (and adults) that I'm sure are at risk.

I rarely ever post pictures anyway. I also keep my GPS on my phone turned off unless I'm using it for directions. Then I turn it off when I'm done.
    357and40 likes this.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

VIP Member
    If for no other reason than battery life, I keep Location setting turned off except when I use the GPS, which is fairly seldom actually. Dedicated GPS does a better job. MAPS AND BRAINS work out best.
    357and40 likes this.

3D
    GunnyBunny
    Very much appreciate you taking the time to post and inform us.

Forwarded to sons & daughters & loved ones everywhere.
    __3D
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Post a picture of your car in your driveway, who needs GPS to find that??

I posted a picture I took driving down the road in the snow and had a friend on another forum go "hey that's my driveway!" and a FB friend posted a pic of a driver who ran off the road in the snow and I also recognized the intersection from the picture. If you're halfway local and are interested in stalking someone, you'll probably be aware enough of the roads and neighborhoods and cars to recognize them from a photo without using any fancy gps.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    After watching these news articles you won’t use your cell phone camera again without changing the security settings first!

GPS in cameras and phones creates privacy issue | Video | 7online.com

YouTube - Smartphone pictures pose privacy risks
    GB - good post. It is easy to get lost in the rush of everyday living and forget to turn off the GPS when shooting pics that you will post to the internet - assuming that your gear even has it. Many of the posted pics on this board have the GPS data attached in the EXIF data. Most photo editing software can remove the EXIF data from the picture and resave it. If your camera records the GPS data, I strongly recommend removing the EXIF data prior to posting a picture. If it does not record GPS data, all you are giving away is the type of camera, lens, photo settings, date, time, etc. which is probably not a big deal.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

One of the first things I did to my iPhone was to turn off location services (GPS) for everything, including pictures. I turn it on as I need it.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    GB - good post. It is easy to get lost in the rush of everyday living and forget to turn off the GPS when shooting pics that you will post to the internet - assuming that your gear even has it. Many of the posted pics on this board have the GPS data attached in the EXIF data. Most photo editing software can remove the EXIF data from the picture and resave it. If your camera records the GPS data, I strongly recommend removing the EXIF data prior to posting a picture. If it does not record GPS data, all you are giving away is the type of camera, lens, photo settings, date, time, etc. which is probably not a big deal.
    There are also specialized programs to remove EXIF data in batch like this free EXIF data remover. EXIF, btw, can also contain the unique serial number of the camera which may compromise one's privacy by linking pics published in different places to the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    I rarely ever post pictures anyway. I also keep my GPS on my phone turned off unless I'm using it for directions. Then I turn it off when I'm done.
    Your phone has a GPS that you can't not turn off too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    to anyone who gave it any thought--this is not news.
    no conspiracy theory here but--since ma bell went to the automated switch board, back track a moment--the govt needed to have access to all conversations before ma bell could switch over to.....
    the automated switch board. and every step of our technological way since has been overshadowed by Big Brother. it is why an idea often takes so long to become common place. gotta dovetail in them listining abilities.
    no i do not have a foil hat to sell you, i can only hope that you can think with whats left of your PC educational powers.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    Your phone has a GPS that you can't not turn off too.
    Well, yes, but that is legally mandated for 911 services. And even without that, the phone company is always going to have a pretty good idea where you are because of which towers your phone is talking to. In any case, you most certainly CAN turn off access to the GPS location for any/all apps on your phone, including the camera App. On the iPhone, this is done in Settings -> Location Services.

The problem here is that phone, by default, attaches GPS coordinates to images in a non-obvious way that *MAY* survive being posted online. I just tested this with Facebook, and it did not work. Facebook (at least, the Facebook iPhone app) apparently strips this data off the image before posting it. I have not tested it using the web interface, though, because I've never posted a pic I took with my phone that way.

I think its a good idea to let people know that the GPS data is included in photos taken with a Smartphone so they can disable it if they want, but I don't think its as big of a deal that people have made it out to be. The fact that the iPhone tracks everywhere you've been in a "secret" file is more disconcerting than the fact that photos I'm posting in the public view has a tag showing where it was taken. If having a photo out there of your kids, your posessions, etc is such a concern, the best bet is to not take a picture of it and post it on the internet to begin with. We do so much interaction with people online now that you end up publishing so much about yourself on purpose that this sort of thing isn't a big deal to me. Some of my neighbors know I have guns (as do some of them as well) and anybody coming to my door is going to figure out I'm an NRA supporter and can probably infer I have guns anyway. Anybody driving by can tell we have a child too, since she plays outside with the other neighbor kids. I don't need to post anything to the internet for that.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

VIP Member
    Not a problem for me. I don't own a smart phone, I don't take or send pictures with my phone and I've never sent a text message. I use my cell phone for what it was designed to do....make phone calls.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    I think its a good idea to let people know that the GPS data is included in photos taken with a Smartphone so they can disable it if they want, but I don't think its as big of a deal that people have made it out to be. The fact that the iPhone tracks everywhere you've been in a "secret" file is more disconcerting than the fact that photos I'm posting in the public view has a tag showing where it was taken. If having a photo out there of your kids, your posessions, etc is such a concern, the best bet is to not take a picture of it and post it on the internet to begin with. We do so much interaction with people online now that you end up publishing so much about yourself on purpose that this sort of thing isn't a big deal to me. Some of my neighbors know I have guns (as do some of them as well) and anybody coming to my door is going to figure out I'm an NRA supporter and can probably infer I have guns anyway. Anybody driving by can tell we have a child too, since she plays outside with the other neighbor kids. I don't need to post anything to the internet for that.
    Just so you know, the file that tracked everywhere you went was a bug that first appeared in iOS 4.0. It was fixed in 4.3.3. So if you have an original iPhone, it doesn't affect you anyway. If you have a 3GS or 4, you should really be running the latest OS, 4.3.3.

If you have an iPhone 3G, well, the newest OS you can run is 4.2.1. You can't install that latest version, so your best bet is to turn on encrypted backups in iTunes. It'll still be on the phone, but not terribly easy to access. Also, it's just a local cache file, it's never sent anywhere except to your computer when you back up the phone. Still, I can't say I'd be comfortable with it doing that. Might be a good excuse to upgrade to the new model rumored to be coming out this September-ish. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links