For the lack of a $2 hinge!

This is a discussion on For the lack of a $2 hinge! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So a plastic hinge band on the toilet seat breaks. No problem. Run to the hardware and pick up a Bemis hinge. Maybe two bucks. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the lack of a $2 hinge!

Distinguished Member

For the lack of a $2 hinge!

So a plastic hinge band on the toilet seat breaks. No problem. Run to the hardware and pick up a Bemis hinge. Maybe two bucks. No luck. Online: Bemis sells hardware parts only to plumbers. So, for the lack of a $2 hinge (really, 5 in China), Bemis wants me to spend $38. I found a $3 generic hinge at Home Depot and spent an hour realigning and drilling and puttying. Neeneenaanaanuunuu Bemis!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

"Take and make" "Farmer wisdom" "good ol' 'merican ingenuity" That's what I'm talkin about... Sorely lacking in many homes... Heck in many homes, they'd have to call the plumber in to fix it... now a $2.00 5 hinge that ends up being a new $38.00 seat just hit the register at $200.00 easy (in any metro area).

Good on ya man! Think how much ammo you can buy with the $198.00 you saved!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Bemis wants me to spend $38.
    No...Bemis wants you to buy a new toilet seat, which comes with its own hinge...

Distinguished Member
    Good on ya man! Think how much ammo you can buy with the $198.00 you saved!
    Nice! I'll remind the wife next time I make an ammo run!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    No...Bemis wants you to buy a new toilet seat, which comes with its own hinge...
    Correct!

VIP Member
    Oh yes do not make any parts available so you have to replace the whole item. Had a similar incident when the hinge broke on an attic ladder. No one sells a knife style hinge to replace the one that broke instead I would have to buy a new ladder costing $109. Rather than replace the ladder I purchased a piece of steel and a few bolts then a little time on the drill press and grinder I now have a set of hinges much stronger than the originals.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have an electric trimmer that was probably about $50 or so. I inquired about getting a replacement foil head... $35. That doesn't include shipping. Might as well just buy a whole new unit! eesh.

VIP Member
    Who needs toilets anyhow?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Well, Timmy, ... poop on you!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I have an electric trimmer that was probably about $50 or so. I inquired about getting a replacement foil head... $35. That doesn't include shipping. Might as well just buy a whole new unit! eesh.
    Yup. I've pitched more than one weed-whacker because of a spool problem. Same deal you just cited.

For this very reason I tend to keep any spare parts that show up. My wife had a fender bender a while back. Vans paid for, so we did not sweat it much. Insurance guy comes out, inspects it, tells us a check will be in the mail. There was a 3" crack on the fender and some scratches. I went to auto zone and grabbed a kit with epoxy and fiberglass cloth and banked the check. Currently the windshield washer jet is held on with zip ties, and one of my windows is held shut with a bunk bed bolt from my last job. Nothing a little shade tree engineering can't fix.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

kinda on the same theme but i didnt save any money. coleman lantern i like, discontinued, no parts. i could have bought 2 of the newer ones for what i spent trial and error. changed it over to leds and it will run 3 times as long and side by side with an original very little difference in brightness. oh and now it is rechargeable.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Not unlike low cost printers, the set of cartridges can exceed the sale price. I know an IT guy at my company who found HP printers on sale for $49, bought ten and tossed the entire unit when they ran out of ink.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    My wife had to throw out a perfectly good sewing machine because of one failed plastic gear the manufacturer couldn't provide. Instead of fixing the thing for 50 cents and shipping of the gear, we had to buy a new machine ---different brand of course.

I once had a very high end record player-turntable. It was belt driven and when the belt broke that was that. A two hundred dollar piece of equipment (that's 1960s dollars) had to be discarded because a piece of rubber broke.

Most of the expensive repairs I've had on cars and trucks have involved huge amounts of labor to replace damaged rubber or plastic.

I've got a "steam mop" which is 8 weeks old. The plastic nut that keeps the plastic handle attacked to a metal body broke. Maybe a combination of hot glue and a couple of standard machine nuts will do; maybe the handle will just continue to fall apart.

And on it goes. Throw away society and even "better" quality goods gets built in China from with the least expensive but critical parts made of plastic, nylon, and similar stuff that will go. Buy an expensive super duper something with computer controls, you can bet the electronics will go and you won't be able to get replacement parts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Judging from another thread...anyone going to Germany...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links