Should we start swatting hummingbirds?

This is a discussion on Should we start swatting hummingbirds? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tiny spy planes could mimic birds, insects - Yahoo! News The Pentagon has poured millions of dollars into the development of tiny drones inspired by ...

Thread: Should we start swatting hummingbirds?

Should we start swatting hummingbirds?

Tiny spy planes could mimic birds, insects - Yahoo! News

The Pentagon has poured millions of dollars into the development of tiny drones inspired by biology, each equipped with video and audio equipment that can record sights and sounds.

They could be used to spy, but also to locate people inside earthquake-crumpled buildings and detect hazardous chemical leaks.

...snip...

Besides the hummingbird, engineers in the growing unmanned aircraft industry are working on drones that look like insects and the helicopter-like maple leaf seed.

Researchers are even exploring ways to implant surveillance and other equipment into an insect as it is undergoing metamorphosis. They want to be able to control the creature.
    Freaky? I think so.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Freaky +1
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Same Government that can not fix the banking industry? Can never get a single contract started or finished on time or on budget; yet they can do this and they never loose track of one penny I owe them in taxes????

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    Same Government that can not fix the banking industry? Can never get a single contract started or finished on time or on budget; yet they can do this and they never loose track of one penny I owe them in taxes????
    This is what I was thinking. We win wars because of the heart and soul of our kids that can fight, and they're won in spite of our government, not because of it. Everything else our gov't attempts, you can pretty much rest assured that they're going to botch it badly.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    This is what I was thinking. We win wars because of the heart and soul of our kids that can fight, and they're won in spite of our government, not because of it. Everything else our gov't attempts, you can pretty much rest assured that they're going to botch it badly.
    +1 I am with you, proud Navy Vet in spite of the Government!!

All well and good until they have to put on the collision avoidance lights, emergency locator transmitter, and IFF required by the FAA, then the crash resistant airframe required by the NTSC, then the revolving red becons and warning horns required by OSHA, and the large banner to be towed denoting that no animals were harmed in the production of this vehicle that would be demanded by PETA.

swatting them, no way, I say they are the perfect target for reactive shotgun training.

But I would venture to say that if you see one of those things flying outside your window you have bigger problems that a shotgun will only make worse.

Eh, that's debatable Steve. Remember? We're all right-wing domestic terrorists now.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I thought the CIA had a mechanical bug they built,downside was in windy conditions it was uncontrollable
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Eh, that's debatable Steve. Remember? We're all right-wing domestic terrorists now.

Oh yeah, what was I thinking? Fire away.

Well, DARPA, the Pentagon, and AeroVironment have been advised that Hummingbirds are only found in the New World. So let's spend bazillions on a tool not usable for the greatest land masses and most populated nations. Dumb.

Links