Need some help

This is a discussion on Need some help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't know what to do. In my office not a night goes by (I work midshift by myself) that I don't find several messups ...

Thread: Need some help

Need some help

I don't know what to do. In my office not a night goes by (I work midshift by myself) that I don't find several messups around the office. It really bothers me because I end up spending half of my night researching and fixing all of these, all because someone couldn't be bothered to do it right the first time.
    Now I know I am not perfect, I have messed up before and I will mess up again; but this is constant. Its not one thing every now and then from different people, its everyday lots of different things from just about everybody in the office. There are only 2 or 3 people that I don't see a lot of this from.
    So here is my question.....what do I do? Do i continue to clean up after them and go on with life? Or do I keep taking it up the chain of supervision until someone does something about it?
    I have tried talking to each individual when it happens. Tried training them on what they did wrong, and it continues to happen habitually. What really makes me mad is when someone finds something that I messed up (like I said I'm not perfect and I don't claim to be), they don't come talk to me and tell me about it, they throw me under the bus in a heart beat.
    So again.....Do I be "that guy" and tattle on everyone, or do I keep storing my anger and take it out on some paper targets?

P.S. now that I think about it, the paper targets is going to happen either way, I just got a new gun I haven't played with yet.

2. Remove Ads

I'd do my work as best as I could, and leave theirs to them. Eventually they will have to answer for it. If you keep correcting their mistakes, you will wind up working for one of them.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    What really makes me mad is when someone finds something that I messed up (like I said I'm not perfect and I don't claim to be), they don't come talk to me and tell me about it, they throw me under the bus in a heart beat.:
    Kick it back to them. If you get no resolution, start throwing dimes. If you've trained them and nothing's changed, then it's disrespectful AND stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'd do my work as best as I could, and leave theirs to them. Eventually they will have to answer for it. If you keep correcting their mistakes, you will wind up working for one of them.
    ^This is true. Be certin of your place within the company and the authority, responability, and accountability of your position/job.

So again.....Do I be "that guy" and tattle on everyone, or do I keep storing my anger and take it out on some paper targets?
    It works for them and their sleeping at night. Don't 'tattle' so much as just call 'em out and tell 'em fix themselves.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    The harsh reality of life highlighted in bold. Quit fixing others mistakes unless you are assigned to do so.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Document everything you have done as well.

VIP Member

If I had learned that nugget of wisdom earlier on, I would have gone much further in my former career.

Messing up at work is just life at work.
    Now WHERE you work is probably a bit more important as far as 'mess ups'. Do you work on a peanut farm, or in a brain surgery OR? It could make a difference...
    Working for a living is not all it's 'cracked up to be'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Document everything you have done as well.
    +1

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're stuck on the ground working with turkeys.
    Do your job and don't worry about everybody else's screw ups, but document, document, document to cover your backside!
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

dont clean up after them they messed it up so they should do it if your boss dont tell you to do it then its not your responsability, like some of the others said if you keep doing there work for them then they will never do it for themselves cause they will be expecting you to do it.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    So here is my question.....what do I do? Do i continue to clean up after them and go on with life? Or do I keep taking it up the chain of supervision until someone does something about it?
    Depends on your profession. Do the mess-ups involve something that would get someone injured or killed?

If you have ever seen Batman( the one with Christian Bale as Batman), at the end he tells his former mentor who was bent on destroying Gotham city," I won't kill you, but I won't save you either" Don't say anything and let them clean up their own messes from now on. They may learn to be responsible employees, maybe.

Provided their mistakes won't cause injury or death.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Provided their mistakes won't cause injury or death.
    I'd go for that, if you work at an armaments factory, jet engine manufacturer, nuclear plant, medical facility, have to tell someone or get blamed with the lot.
    Go with the glow

Thanks for the responses everyone.
    They usually aren't mistakes that will get someone hurt, just stuff that makes my job harder. I work supply in the military.
    Documenting is a good idea. I will try that and see if it gets me anywhere.

Links