Asinine Response to Petulant Student

This is a discussion on Asinine Response to Petulant Student within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is about the most asinine response I have seen yet from a school administration. A teacher rattles a table to get the attention of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

This is about the most asinine response I have seen yet from a school administration. A teacher rattles a table to get the attention of the class, a petulatn student calls the cops, the cops arrive to find a normal class lesson going on and none of the other students thought anything of the event. The teacher is placed on leave. I wonder if the teacher could make a case for defamation or slander.

Teacher rattles table in class, student calls 911 - Yahoo! News
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Any student could call and report anything! If you take the teacher out of the class for something so insignificant, you will be getting calls from every class. Pretty soon, you have no teachers. But you have to look where this took place, they will be bolting down all of the tables and desks in every classroom in California before this one is over.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

WOW, Only in California : (
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I wonder if the school system code of conduct allows children to use phones during class time. If not, I am curious as to why there is no mention of the student being disciplined.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Here in our schools, the phone would have been confiscated and the student disciplined. They can have them, just don't be seen with it out or using it.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Teachers have no authority any more its sickening. The kid shouldn't have ahad a cell phone to begin with out in class. I bet this kids parents are just like this kid. A lot of kids today have no work ethic, respect, or morals what so ever. They want everything given to them for nothing, face no punishment in the home cause they are angels.

We will here about this kid again later in our lives when he finds a way to sue his first employer after less than a month of work for some reason or other so that he may never have to work again.

VIP Member
    I think they ought to outlaw those high rattle capacity tables. Nobody 'needs' more than a low rattle capacity table, if they need one at all...

VIP Member
    One has to wonder if there isn't much more to this story.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    One has to wonder if there isn't much more to this story.
    Hop - I am with you. If there is more, I would sure like to hear it because it does not make much sense with what we have now. I can envision calls from every classroom because some kid has it out for just about every teacher. The admins appear to have opened the door to much confusion. I wonder how long til the cops just stop responding unless an adult calls.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I've had students call parents while in the front office to protest a referral...they get an additional referral for use of the phone during school hours. Pretty simple violation...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Hop - I am with you. If there is more, I would sure like to hear it because it does not make much sense with what we have now. I can envision calls from every classroom because some kid has it out for just about every teacher. The admins appear to have opened the door to much confusion. I wonder how long til the cops just stop responding unless an adult calls.
    K, of course none of us know what happened, but we can speculate. We mostly all agree that the story doesn't make sense as presented. So, how might it have actually happened so it would make sense? My speculation is that perhaps the teacher involved momentarily lost it to such a degree that he appeared as a real threat, or was momentarily a real threat. Then, he caught himself and all was well by the time the LEOs showed up. Hypothesized that way, it makes sense that the teacher was placed on administrative leave. There is however one statement in the story which would make this hypothesis seem unlikely. "other students in the class weren't bothered by the teacher's actions." Strange story. Bet we never find out what really happened in there, and maybe no one really knows at this point. It would be very interesting to hear the 911 call.

The news sources must be just passing around the original release as they are all virtually verbatim.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

It is ridiculous but does make sense. The police arrived, therefore the teacher is on paid leave until an internal investigation is complete. I would be surprised if the teacher is disciplined, but being placed on paid leave is something lots of companies do anytime there is a Police response. As far as disciplining the student that seems like a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    Here in our schools, the phone would have been confiscated and the student disciplined. They can have them, just don't be seen with it out or using it.
    Yep.. and student suspended as well here.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    Heavens, how on earth did public education survive without cell phones in the classroom ???

There is ZERO educational value to students having cell phones in school, and their presence overwhelmingly works to confound and defeat the purpose of education. For any single instance where there was a legitimate emergency need for a student's cell phone in a classroom, I'll show you fifty where the phone was used as a distraction or to cheat. If it was my school, cell service would be actively jammed during instructional hours. If the communication can't come in or go out on a land line, chances are it can wait.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links