Supreme Court sides with Westboro Baptist

This is a discussion on Supreme Court sides with Westboro Baptist within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Westboro Funeral Pickets Are Protected Speech, High Court Rules - FoxNews.com I kinda saw this comming...........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court sides with Westboro Baptist

Supreme Court sides with Westboro Baptist

"Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

as much as I DESPISE what they do, that is a huge win for the 1st amendment, you should actually be happy that SCOTUS ruled this way.

I live in Kansas, everyone here hates those sad sacks......

Senior Moderator
    Not at all surprised, given the First Amendment question raised.

It's OK - the WBC will keep roaming the country with their travelling inbred hate group, and the PGR will proudly shield the families from the WBC's disgusting antics.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    as much as I DESPISE what they do, that is a huge win for the 1st amendment, you should actually be happy that SCOTUS ruled this way.
    ^^^ What he said. ^^^^
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Hate is not a crime. What that group is doing is not acceptable behavior and to call it a "church" is blasphemous, but if they want to do it, (so long as what they do is not disorderly conduct) let them make fools of themselves. The Freedom of Speech prevails.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I agree with this being a 'win' for the 1st amendment. That's why I saw this comming.

Hate isn't a crime........so I'm not a criminal for hateing Westboro Baptist.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    As Matt said, this is why we have the PGR. I look forward to the privelege of riding with them someday.

They are just immoral..sick people...

Just think they might show up at one of your family members funeral and while you are there with your head bowed down and grieving, the protesters can call your dead family member despicable things...

That aint right...no matter how you want to put it...it's sick....!

VIP Member
    If I were a cop I wouldn't be near enough to protect them from a butt kicking. Nor would I be in any sort of hurry to catch the butt kicker.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

The issue is that just because we believe them to be wrong does not give us the right to pick and choose who can say what and when, Freedom of Speech is just that. The decision they made was the correct one and is a win for every free American.

here is the decision: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/09-751.pdf

A funeral is a private matter...and should be respected as a private matter...

Quote Originally Posted by 500 View Post
    A funeral is a private matter...and should be respected as a private matter...
    The first amendment isnt about respect. We can't pick and choose based on our values. It is an unfortunate by product of freedom. The decision protects us all, not just those idiots, now you can feel free to join the patriot guard and stand in front of them and block them to allow the family privacy. That is your right

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    The first amendment isnt about respect. We can't pick and choose based on our values. It is an unfortunate by product of freedom. The decision protects us all, not just those idiots, now you can feel free to join the patriot guard and stand in front of them and block them to allow the family privacy. That is your right

We can't pick and choose based on our values....!.............wow................!

I value my right to privacy....you obviously don't...

Quote Originally Posted by 500 View Post
    We can't pick and choose based on our values....!.............wow................!

I value my right to privacy....you obviously don't...
    So by your premise, gun control activists who do not like guns and think you should not own one either are correct and our 2d amendment rights should be taken away? The wow is on you sir. I suggest you re-read the Bill of Rights. if the westboro scum feel the need to protest on PUBLIC roadways and sidewalks near the funeral place or on the procession, their RIGHT is protected. I am sorry to inform you that you cannot pick and choose who when and where people have rights on public right of ways. I for one am glad that SCOTUS decided to uphold this. You do cannot stop people from exercising their rights on public right of ways.

here you go:

Bill of Rights

I value a free America more than restricting rights because I feel it is offensive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links