Why is Glock Called the Dark Side?

This is a discussion on Why is Glock Called the Dark Side? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; been wondering when i posted that i got my glock 19 of couple of memebers said welcome to the dark side just wondering why that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Glock Called the Dark Side?

been wondering when i posted that i got my glock 19 of couple of memebers said welcome to the dark side just wondering why that was?
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

this sums it up LOL

VIP Member
    Folks love to hate 'em.

I have a personal theory that since Glocks are generally recognized as excellent firearms, by declaring one's disdain for them, one identifies themself as an elite connisseur of fine weaponry. (Edit) They're also incredibly easy to maintain. Anybody can learn to safely shoot and maintain them in a short amount of time. Having a noob with a $500 gun, outshooting a seasoned pro with a $3000 gun usually doesn't go over very well.

Or maybe it's because they're mostly black...

VIP Member
    Because the force is so strong with them. Give in to the dark side. (insert Darth Vader breathing noises here)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I THINK; as the years have gone by the original dismissal of the Glock as Tupperware, plastic gun, or OK if you can’t afford a real gun was somewhat overtaken by the company’s ability to prove reliability and quality through time and testing /////////////////////////// from Tupperware to simply the dark side as the original sneers ect no longer hold water.

I am a glock fan and EDC Glocks only but to be honest it took me a while to get here too.

I had a hate/love relationship with them for years. Due to my heritage, I felt guilty about anything not blue steel and wood. I have finally gotten over it and now they are my serious working guns.
    They are the vampire of the handgun world. Deadly, dark and near indestructable.

It's a bit of a joke, in the sense that it is "evil" because it takes you away from the traditional steel and wood, and will just lead to a Glock addiction

When it burst on to the scene 25 years ago, it was the definition of unconventional and the bane of every Red Blooded steel and wood gun lover in America. It is all black and nobody can explain why they have taken over so dominantly. Very much like the Dark Side. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

They are made from the same polymer that Darth Vaders helmet was made of.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    this sums it up LOL

This is my Bother and I
    I,m the Glock guy and he is the disciple of JMB
    To make matters worse, I,m a 9mm guy and he being a true disciple of JMB loves the .45
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I lean towards the dark side(Glock 19 my personal favorite) of the force. Darth Vader: "You don't know the power of the dark side"

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Folks love to hate 'em.

I have a personal theory that since Glocks are generally recognized as excellent firearms, by declaring one's disdain for them, one identifies themself as an elite connisseur of fine weaponry. (Edit) They're also incredibly easy to maintain. Anybody can learn to safely shoot and maintain them in a short amount of time. Having a noob with a $500 gun, outshooting a seasoned pro with a $3000 gun usually doesn't go over very well.

Or maybe it's because they're mostly black...
    This pretty much sums it up....and I'm a JMB guy!

They say the same thing about the AK47--"the DARK side"

I think I'd add, that the Glocks, go against what many of us from a "traditional gun culture" were taught about firearms. Firearms were more than just "tools" like a circular saw. They were majestic, sexy, and almost alluring things. (Some guys feel the same way about certain guitars) They had a SOUL. There was a soft spot in our hearts for them, just like a good woman.

We were taught to “take good care of your weapon”, we cleaned our guns religiously and always wiped them down before putting them away.

If it was a handgun, anything not made in the USA was…..something less. From Austria? Hmmmm

We were taught to learn to use the gun like it was an extension of ourselves. We practiced from the time we were youngsters, under the watchful eyes of dads, grandpas, and uncles, and learned how to operate that safety like it was second nature.

So here comes a pistol, ugly as sin, with no true safety mechanisms, that any novice or city boy/girl can easily learn to operate without any previous experience with firearms as handed down from Dad, (and many cops fit into that category), that tends to function reliably, no matter how much the owner neglects its “proper” care, and made of PLASTIC, from Europe of all places!

Glocks go against everything we were taught and hold dear regarding firearms!

I haven’t visited the “dark side” yet, but I HAVE thought about it. If I ever do, I might love a Glock, but I already know that it will have no “soul”, and no more allure than a good Makita.

I've had 3 Glocks over time. They never impressed me, weren't particularly accurate or even reliable.

My theory is that it goes back to some idiot declared that Glocks couldn't be detected by airport metal detectors and would be the favored weapons of terrorists. I think that line even made it into one of the Die Hard movies.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    It's because they have cookies. At least thats what I hear...I've never gone to the dark side.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    They're definitely a utilitarian weapon. Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some don't consider them to be a good looking weapon while others extol their looks. All comes down to personal taste.

Others don't like how they feel in their hands, which is again a personal preference.

Buy what works for you and don't worry about what others say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links