Anyone here have personal vehicle running on......???

This is a discussion on Anyone here have personal vehicle running on......??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Natural gas - propane - hydrogen or other fuel source? Not really looking for those driving electrics. Just thinking about what'd be involved in converting ...

Thread: Anyone here have personal vehicle running on......???

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Anyone here have personal vehicle running on......???

Natural gas - propane - hydrogen or other fuel source?

Not really looking for those driving electrics.

Just thinking about what'd be involved in converting my Jeep Wrangler over to something beside gas.

Thanks in advance.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

One thing you could think about is butanol.

Butylfuel - Pioneering a better fuel for a better planet.

Apparently it can be act as a direct replacement for gasoline, unlike ethanol. It doesn't require special handling and processing, like ethanol. It also has far more BTUs per gallon than ethanol (but a bit less than gasoline). Butanol can be made more easily from waste biomass than ethanol, which mostly comes from corn right now.

At this point, you might be wondering... why aren't we using butanol? Why are we using ethanol instead? Don't get me started

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i have been running ethonol in my high output silverado for the past few weeks and not had much more than a 2-3 mpg drop in economy, not to mention 30 bucks a tank vs 55 bucks a tank, no brainer
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

There is trend of folks swapping the 4 cyclinder Cummins B engine into Jeeps. It is a heavy motor.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Natural gas - propane - hydrogen or other fuel source?

Not really looking for those driving electrics.

Just thinking about what'd be involved in converting my Jeep Wrangler over to something beside gas.

Thanks in advance.
    When I was in Brazil last year, MANY of their cars run on Natural Gas and they fuel them from under the hood and use the regular gas tank to store it, but not sure how they modify them as few of them were new cars. May want to google that or somethin!!?? Plus the Gas Stations provide the refueling!!
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

I run used vegitable oil in my 2 diesel Ford trucks. Been doing it for 5 years or about 110k miles. Its free...I estimate i have saved about $25k in fuel overall.
    Look here.
    http://www.biofuelstechnologies.com/

Thats one of my rigs shown on the home page with the camper behind it.

I usually run B-100 bioDiesel in my Suburban. In the winter I cut it about 50/50 with petroleum Diesel if we are going to have a hard freeze.
    I considered a propane injection kit a couple years ago but propane prices around here were about the same as Diesel per BTU. It wouldn't save me anything but I might end up doing it just for the fun factor.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    A good friend runs bio-diesel in his Dodge pickup, he swears by it. I cannot stand to ride with him though, I am on a low carb diet and the damn thing smells like french fries. Drives me crazy, LOL!
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I use biodiesel when i have time to make it - engine runs much quieter and smoother due to the improved lubrication bio provides. There is a company in texas that converts autos and trucks to nat gas or propane - search - they should be easy to find. Allthingscng.com - CNG conversion kits, Cng installation training is a source of info you may find helpful. don't for forget you will probably have to put in some sort of hook up at your house to fill the vehicle
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

I knew quite a few farmers in OK that did that in the '70's/early '80's. My only concern with a Jeep is where would you put the propane tank?
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    I knew quite a few farmers in OK that did that in the '70's/early '80's. My only concern with a Jeep is where would you put the propane tank?
    Yeah, I was thinking same thing. With what I've heard (propane not as cheap as I thought and goes up to some degree with reg gas goes up too) Maybe more towards "Natural Gas" if I do it.
    For God, Family and Country!

Links