Nissan Xterra....who has/had one? What do/did you think?

This is a discussion on Nissan Xterra....who has/had one? What do/did you think? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am selling my trusty GMC Sonoma with 160000 miles on it. My wife and I have decided to go with a 4wd SUV. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Xterra....who has/had one? What do/did you think?

Nissan Xterra....who has/had one? What do/did you think?

I am selling my trusty GMC Sonoma with 160000 miles on it. My wife and I have decided to go with a 4wd SUV. I dont wanna cute ute. I want 4wd I control and switch on or off, and body on frame. There are not many choice left out there. Mostly imports and Jeep. I like the Chrokees but they are newly redesigned and dealers want and arm and a leg. Toyota wnats you to pay sticker for the privilege of owning one. We have looked and test driven a 2011 Nissan Xterra. This thing has a nice 4.0 V6 rides high and is very KISS. We have no children so that os not a concern. The rear cargo area even has a plastic floor board and a load tie down system in the floor.

Has anybody here had one or know of any good or bad experiences? I have been surfing some Xterra forums, but they are obviously biased towards their fav ride.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Best friends just got a 2010 and they love it! We've ridden in it a lot and it seems like a good vehicle. They have had a lot of Nissan cars but now have the X-Terra and the Frontier pick-up. He's a car/race nut and wouldn't buy junk so second-hand reporting, I'd say they're good vehicles. We both have Toyotas-love them (trucks) but they are the older models (ie no truck payment). Good luck on your search!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I have a friend with an older one and 180000 plus miles on it. Most on ebay for sale are all high miles so...I am hoping I am making a good choice.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

My parents drove one when I was growing up, I don't remember what year it was but they loved it. Never had any real problems.

I have an 06...Love it. 107,000 miles and runs like new.
    I would not think twice about buying another one.

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

VIP Member
    I have a Nissan Frontier with the same V6 engine in it. I give it a two thumbs up! Nothing but gas, air filters and oil changes for 100k miles. I'm about to do a tune up on it and replace the plugs, wires and timing belt. It will be the first time my truck has ever been in the shop and it's only preventive maintenance.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I have a friend with an older one and 180000 plus miles on it. Most on ebay for sale are all high miles so...I am hoping I am making a good choice.

That is because people tend to keep these vehicles, and they usually last long too. I have a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder XE that is still going strong that has never had any issues. It only has a 3.3L V6. But that is plenty for me, as I don't tow anything, and tend to be a conservative driver.

I see lots of old Pathfinders and Xterras on the road here where I live in Oregon. Some of them really look worn out too, but they are still going strong.

If you cannot find any decent used Xterras in your area, try searching for used Pathfinders too. But before buying ANY used car, do be sure to get the latest Consumer Reports Car Buyers Guide. And then see how they rate the specific model and year of vehicle that you are looking at.

Used Toyota 4Runners are often way over priced. Much more difficult to find good deals on them used.

Both of my vehicles say Made in Japan on them. One gets 3 times the mileage of the other one, though! But that one cannot even handle big pot holes, let alone dirt roads!

We've got a 2003 Xterra. Currently 109k miles on it. Love it. Great in the snow, and goes most anywhere I care to take it. It's no rock crawler, but I've had it down some trails that a 2WD wouldn't make it through.

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Senior Moderator
    My wife has a 2003 Xterra, and it has been great. Very, very reliable and problem free.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

These are definitely the things I was wanting to hear fro you all. I need a neutral non fanboy opinion. Seems as though I may be doing right if I buy one.

I had a 2002 Nissan Xterra. No problems out of it in the 8 years I owned it.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

My wife and I had an 2002 Xterra for about a year and I would never buy another one again. Everything on it felt flimsy and about to brake. The newer ones could very well be alot better but I am letting you know my thoughts... The other thing is that it was a standard transmission that was geared very oddly. 65mph in 5th gear it was hitting 4500 RPMs. Highway mpg were about 11 and city was about 20. Weird huh?

Anyhow, thats my thoughts! Good luck!

Well I am looking at a 2011 right now, known as a second generation (2005+). It has a different motor than your 2002 did. (3.3 vs 4.0). I dont expect the mileage to be great. I have a small commute and I drive a small truck with a big V-6 now, so I figure it will be about the same. I know I am not buying a Prius. Most of the used ones on Ebay are being sold with 100K plus with emphasis on the plus. We like how they ran and rode on Satrday, so still have some contemplating to do. Thanks for your input.

Getting 21mpg here with the 4.0 and 30" tires. All highway

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Getting 21mpg here with the 4.0 and 30" tires. All highway

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    If I can get that and the winter and off road capability it provides, I will be more than happy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links