HR Secrets: worker 'screening' on the rise

This is a discussion on HR Secrets: worker 'screening' on the rise within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/19/pf/e...ning/index.htm So, what do you think the odds are that some companies screen to see if applicants and/or employees have concealed carry licenses?...

Thread: HR Secrets: worker 'screening' on the rise

JT [OP]

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/19/pf/e...ning/index.htm

So, what do you think the odds are that some companies screen to see if applicants and/or employees have concealed carry licenses?
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I think the chances are good in states where it's a matter of public record. Thank goodness it's private data here.

Quite possible where it's public information. Where I work, we check out everything we can (but I'm fortunate to work at a pro-gun place so a CCW would be considered a positive thing).

Assistant Administrator
    I can imagine some companies will dig way and beyond what is necessary or even socially acceptable!

Privacy gets ever harder to protect and it sure ain't sacrosanct any more.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Why would anyone WANT to work for such a snoopy tightass company? Money? Those outfits can have their money if it costs me my ability to be me. If anyone does want to work for such an outfit, I think he's crazy, and he is sort of asking for Big Brother to give his life a colonoscopy.

I'm guessing that most of us here probably would be disqualified from working at such a place (or not want to) long before it got around to the "CCW/bankruptcy/divorce/do you have anything (like a LIFE) that interferes with your ability to subjugate yourself to our whims" inquiry really got itself off the ground anyway.

Those places hire sheeple and are responsible for all sorts of shullbit firearms policies (no guns at work, not even in the parking lot, etc.).

The fortune 500 deserve themselves.......

Many companies do not want independant thinking workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief
    Many companies do not want independant thinking workers.
    I agree. They want and

Working for the gov't they probably know the last time I went to the bathroom. So I guess not too much of my life is completely secret.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

To be honest I don't think this is an issue on the minds of most people. They may try to find out if you have "guns" in general but I'm not too worried about the carry permit info especially as it is private in most states. My company knows I have a permit as I advertise via a sign for my classes on my truck.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

well what could they do at our work when 145 of the 170 came back with hits for ccw's fire us all?

funny.....

I had an interview last week...."would you have a religious or other constraint from using deadly force to protect yourself?"

He liked my answer... (they are an armed security organization and had accidently hired a gun carrier in the past....wouldn't shoot to save his own life)

sure looked good in that uniform, carrying that gun, looked good!!!

I don't know that I'd care one way or another. If they have a problem with my CHL, its their problem, because I won't want to work there anyway.

As to general screening, background checks and the like, I believe its fine if the candidate agrees to it beforehand, and its done legally. In some industries, its required. In some businesses, you want it that way (i.e. someone with access to your credit info, etc.).

As to less than honest "timed" calls (i.e. dinner time, etc.), stalling for weeks to promote anger or frustration, I think that's indicative of a lack of forthrightness and honesty on their part, so.........they can take a hike.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    You know, we're being seduced by our own laziness to use the internet more and more for banking, home security, job searches and applications and all sorts of other purposes making almost everything we do a matter of public knowledge. It seems we're giving employers (government?) a means to monitor everything we do! So who's fault is it that we're being investigated?

On another note, (off topic) I don't use my company computer for anything personal even though some personal usage is allowed. I have fellow employees who check their bank accounts etc. The company can log everything you type and everywhere you go. It's THEIR network!
    We are prohibited from having any firearm in our personal vehicles if they are parked on company property...
    Can you imagine how they'd react to me using the company PC and going to a CCW forum?
    Last edited by Thumper; July 21st, 2006 at 02:02 PM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    I do know of a lady who was fired from a bank not because her divorce was affecting her job performance, but because the bank considered it damaging to their reputation to keep someone who was getting *gasp* divorced. That's small Southern town politics.

Probably the oddest screening I have ever been through was not for my job, but for my roomate's. She was going to be a nanny and since she had a roomate, I also had to fill out part of her application. They didn't ask if I had any felonies or did drugs; they asked where I worked and how much money I made.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Alot of companies are saying that it's for the potential employees good and not theirs, saying that they (the company) doesn't want to put more "stress" on the applicants if hired.

Me, if they don't like my "background" or the fact that I have a CCW from THREE states and have had two others in other states then they can go and take a leap.

When I applied for Micron (when I lived in ID), they did that timing thing and the wait for weeks to call. They called me about 3 weeks after the interview and said, Congradulations, you have the job. I cheerfully said back to them, Screw you, I went and got a better job.

The job I got didn't pay as well but it was a job that I enjoyed so it evened out :) .

Wayne

Sponsored Links