Military is too white and too male?

This is a discussion on Military is too white and too male? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What the heck? I cant believe this and it enrages me. And look who wrote it and look at the sex of this writer. Report: ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Military is too white and too male?

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Military is too white and too male?

What the heck?

I cant believe this and it enrages me. And look who wrote it and look at the sex of this writer.

Report: Too many whites, men leading military - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I guess we'll just ignore all the hispanics and afro americans in the military now. There also seem to be a lot more people of Asian descent.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there are people in this country who need racism to stay in the spotlight. They perpetuate racism to keep their jobs and fame - and they're not white.

Given the various policy changes that are going on, none of it really matters. Would mention more, but not really a topic that can be easily discussed given forum / site rules.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Hmm, maybe the US Census Bureau can shed some light on this:
    Race Percentage of US population:
    White 74.8%

From the article:
    Seventy-seven percent of senior officers in the active-duty military are white ...

Hmmmm, wonder why? Sounds like it's already an 'armed forces that has succeeded in developing a continuing stream of leaders who are as diverse as the nation they serve' in terms of race and I'd like to see a study on how many women, out of those that choose to join, choose to stay in the military long enough to achieve those upper ranks.

+1 Paul
    TN_Mike and Ghettokracker71 like this.

It is my NSHO that the feminizing of America will be its downfall.
    Look at the Post Office, ever since the carrier has become the "mailpersons" instead of "mailman" it has been going "downhill" fast. :)
    TN_Mike likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

VIP Member
    Being an officer means having a college degree. I wonder how the percentage of Americans according to race/higher education would shake out.

As an enlisted man I recall being a minority. Most of the folks I served with as a junior enlisted man were Philippine, Latino or Black.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Lightbulb DRAFT

Bring back the draft.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    Bring back the draft.
    I'm pretty sure a common gripe during the Vietnam war was blacks were disproportionately drafted. So I guess we need to draft just minorities and women for in order to maintain our all volunteer force.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

How about we just promote the people that can do the job? Wait, that would not be fair. Nevermind.
    TN_Mike, Old School and ncsteveh like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

ABout 3-4 yrs ago.... they had a report that the ranks were filled with a majority of minorities and people from poor backgrounds, and the Dem's were complaining that the military was an outlet for the poor, and the poor and minorities were fighting the wars.

What changed ? Did they all bail out and not re-enlist ?

I'm not buying the "study" .... and want to know more about "WHO" did the study. But, what I think they are trying to say.... they are not "officers" ... and that's disproportionate. But, take all of the officers, how long they have been in the military vs those of other groups, and then compare it. I bet , you'ld quickly see what the issue is .... who "stayed" in the military long enough to make the highest ranks ? ( in terms of percentages).

I don't think everything in the country has to comply to ratio's, percentages, etc. It's a joke.
    Last edited by Eagleks; March 9th, 2011 at 11:44 PM.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I had a freaking bad @ $ job in the Navy, yeah fast boats, machine guns, and automatic rifles, hand grenades, kevlar, cool little pro-tec helmets, and nvgs, but I got out for certain reasons. Some of which are likewise small to the outsider but huge to our serviceman insiders. Hence why this article was another reason that made me a little hot.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Many of you are missing the point that this article is about higher military leadership. I would guess we are talking about O5 or O6 and above. We are not talking about the rank and file on the low end of the totem pole.

Colonels don't get drafted.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Odd, at one point I remember being the only white guy in my platoon. I think they are full of it.
    Last edited by rstickle; March 9th, 2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Language work around

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    I agree the pretext is about the 'higher' leadership, but it 'covers' the entire military, from the JCOS down to the deckplate rank 'n file.
    The military is about fighting to protect our country, not intergration to make it 'look nice'.
    After 19 years in the Navy I can say there arn't too many women....but they ARE there. There are also a lot of whites, but there are plenty of other heritiages represented as well.
    Most of the people (in my experience) don't pay into the 'race' stuff. You either can do the job or you wash out. Skin color isn't a factor unless they make it one......and that isn't tolorated.
    My career has been submarines (no women.....yet) and I'll say that no one was given more or denied anything due to race. My command will be the first to have a woman (actually 2 I think) assigned and I don't see too much changing.....certinally it'll take some getting used too but the bottom line for us is that the number of surfacing evolutions equal the number of submurging evolutions.

Ultimatly this is just another play made by Washington to make people 'feel' better.
    Color or gender makes no diffrence. You do the job or your out.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Colonels don't get drafted.
    Yes, but they do start somewhere.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links