Its working

Its working

This is a discussion on Its working within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mom and I had "the carry talk" with my sister Stephanie. The whole week so far we have been going by her house rules and ...

Thread: Its working

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Its working

Mom and I had "the carry talk" with my sister Stephanie. The whole week so far we have been going by her house rules and talking about the new intrest in guns Mom has and my love for them. Tonight we were watching the outdoor channel and the different gun shows and Mom, Steph and I started talking about safety, the draw, how to carry, holsters, gear, and how the manual and automatic safeties on each of our guns worked. Tomorrow she asked us to bring our guns in out of the car, still unloaded, and I am going to go through and show her in detail how they work, the safety mechanisms on each of them and how to load and fire. We are also going to go through a demonstration of how quickly a home invader can be in the home and why it is a bad idea to keep her weapon unloaded, with safety on, and gun and magazine on opposite sides of the bedroom. With an unloaded gun and unloaded magazine, I am going to slam my hand on the door simulating a door kick, and run into the bedroom with a spoon to simulate a knife. She is going to get, load, and charge my 1911 and i will demonstrate how quickly an attacker can hurt, disable, or maim her. She is beginning to come around more quickly than I hoped and she has said that she would be sort of interested in shooting at a range next time we came to town.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Great news. Just let your sister set the pace. If you go too fast the amount of info may overwhelm her. If you go too slow she may loose interest. As a gift consider paying for her to take a home firearm responsibility course or one similar. Tell her to ask as many questions as she likes no matter how silly they may seem. When the subjects are firearms and safety there are no silly questions. She wouldn't be the first to think of those questions and she wouldn't be the last. When you take her to the range try taking along a 22 if you can and start her out with that (for the basics). Good luck and stay safe.

Sounds like the truth of the world is starting to flicker within. Fan it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Use snap caps to let her simulate loading and charging live ammo,in a high stress situation she may accidently shoot you in the heat of the moment
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Use snap caps to let her simulate loading and charging live ammo,in a high stress situation she may accidently shoot you in the heat of the moment
    My thoughts exactly, she could be faster than you think and she is named Stephanie. (I have a sister and mother-in-law, not the same person, named Stephanie). Other than the snap cap issue it sounds like you are doing a good job and Black Knight had some good advice. Try not to force anything on her and let her set the pace, be supportive and treat her with respect. Best of luck!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    we were just going to use an empty chamber and empty mag for the dry fire portion, no live rounds present
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    we were just going to use an empty chamber and empty mag for the dry fire portion, no live rounds present
    Good to hear, I thought that might be the case. Good Luck!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I misread your post,I initially thought she was gonna have to load a magazine and then insert into the weapon,Fine motor skills go out the window when you are scared to death and racing the clock
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links