Back to the gym after 1 million years

This is a discussion on Back to the gym after 1 million years within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Had some shoulder problems last year that kept me out of the gym all year. I road my bike a lot to keep from really ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Back to the gym after 1 million years

VIP Member

Back to the gym after 1 million years

Had some shoulder problems last year that kept me out of the gym all year. I road my bike a lot to keep from really chubbing up but it's just not the same. So after about 16 months I got the OK to start easing back into the weight room and...OH MY GOODNESS am I sore!

Why didn't any of you warn me! I thought you folks on DC were my friends. Somebody could have said "Don't do it!".
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Hey Timmy, you could have sent me a message and I would have "warned" you!

I also go to the gym two times a week after work with some buddies. My best friend is kind of the "trainer" and I swear I think he was Vlad the Impaler in another life with the routines he comes up with. At nearly 55 and relatively good health, it doesn't get any easier I can say.

Keep it up though, the rewards are greater than the pain.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I know I kinow!!! I go 4 times a week, force myself to go after work. The truth is after I go I never say " boy I wish I did not do that" Also after the work day and the work out I chill out in the steam room for about 15 min as a mini reward to melt all the crap of the day off.

Guess my point is keep going, you are better off in the long run!!!!

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Had some shoulder problems last year that kept me out of the gym all year. I road my bike a lot to keep from really chubbing up but it's just not the same. So after about 16 months I got the OK to start easing back into the weight room and...OH MY GOODNESS am I sore!

Why didn't any of you warn me! I thought you folks on DC were my friends. Somebody could have said "Don't do it!".
    Do you really believe it should be fair if only we suffered?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    The really sad part is that with the rehab of my shoulder I feel like the wimp kid at the gym. I was never a superstar but before I hurt my shoulder I was benching around 170 for working out and my max was around 225. I know that's not too good, but I felt OK with it as a domesticated house husband and a desk jockey. I never really tried to push for my max so it never got up too high but I could do three sets of 12 with the 170. I thought that was good (for me).

But at this trip to the gym my starting bench press was 100 lbs and on the first one I felt like my shoulder was gonna rip apart. I had to drop the weight to 85, then 60 and finally was able to do three full sets with a measly 40 pounds. I could actually do them one handed with my good arm but it was all my bad shoulder could take. I didn't realize how far I'd have to go to rebuild my shoulder. Working Lats, Delts and Tricepts was not quite as bad but still pretty crummy. Curls didn't hurt at all.

I even had some toolbag come in and sit at the machine I had just used and say "Wow is this set low. You can always tell when the girls used it last." Then I had to tell him it was me. I was pretty embarassed.
    Last edited by atctimmy; March 10th, 2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: fix numbers
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My wife has been dragging me to the gym since the first of the year, I was nearly crippled the first few times, a little better now. I appreciate she is trying to keep me healthy, but she could go easier on me!
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The really sad part is that with the rehab of my shoulder I feel like the wimp kid at the gym. I was never a superstar but before I hurt my shoulder I was benching around 175 for working out and my max was around 225. I know that's not too good, but I felt OK with it as a domesticated house husband and a desk jockey. I never really tried to push for my max so it never got up too high but I could do three sets of 12 with the 175. I thought that was good (for me).

But at this trip to the gym my starting bench press was 100 lbs and on the first one I felt like my shoulder was gonna rip apart. I had to drop the weight to 85, then 60 and finally was able to do three full sets with a measly 40 pounds. I could actually do them one handed with my good arm but it was all my bad shoulder could take. I didn't realize how far I'd have to go to rebuild my shoulder. Working Lats, Delts and Tricepts was not quite as bad but still pretty crummy. Curls didn't hurt at all.

I even had some toolbag come in and sit at the machine I had just used and say "Wow is this set low. You can always tell when the girls used it last." Then I had to tell him it was me. I was pretty embarassed.
    Tim,
    Never be embarassed after an absence from the gym in what you can do. I know the kind "gym rats" who always make the stupid comments. They laugh at what we do, we use stretch bands and links of chain on the bench press bar and they look at us like were from Alpha Centauri. That is until we shame them into trying it out and they get pinned to the bench with what we "do". I've lost count on the number of braggarts we've done that to.

Try the decline bench. It has a better angle and you can push more weight. I'm 5' 9" and weigh a hefty 178 lbs and can push up to 250 lbs on it for single reps.

I think you have the best logic for getting back into it, start low and steadily increase what you can do until your shoulder is rehabilitated. I've see the ones who come in after years of inactivity and they want to start at the top and work their way up. They show up for for a few weeks and then disappear. I don't think you will. We're pulling for you.
    surefire7 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I started running again at the beginning of the month. It hurts so bad! I'm going to stay off the weights until I lose some body fat.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I started running again at the beginning of the month. It hurts so bad! I'm going to stay off the weights until I lose some body fat.
    My cardio is not too bad (it's not too great either). I did what I could do on the bicycle last year and I'm starting early this year to really get a good summer of riding in. The weights are what I had to let go.
    Mark Twain:

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    At one time I could have been called a "gym rat ". Im trying to get back into shape. Wife and I are on board with a local gym. Good luck! Don't get discouraged!

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    At one time I could have been called a "gym rat ". Im trying to get back into shape. Wife and I are on board with a local gym. Good luck! Don't get discouraged!
    You would not fall into that category. The "Gym Rats" I refer to are the one's who frequent the gym and act like they know everything about weightlifting and yet are some of the dumbest lifters on the scene.

They also have the compulsive desire to inform other lifters in the place who have years of experience that what they are doing and how they are lifting is wrong.

I admire people with the discipline to stay with a workout routine. I get bored in the gym. I get my workout driving fence posts, and manhandling farm implements when hooking them to the tractor. The rest I get in the basement practicing my kicks and punches on the heavy bag. Glad you are getting back into what you enjoy...well , gotta go smoke a Marlboro before my beer gets to warm!

I understand your soreness

Sometimes my workout routine really leaves me tired; I do about 6 reps of 12 oz curls
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I understand your soreness

Sometimes my workout routine really leaves me tired; I do about 6 reps of 12 oz curls
    It's the lemon or orange slice on top that makes it so heavy.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Mark Twain:

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    ...well , gotta go smoke a Marlboro before my beer gets to warm!
    That's my kind of workout Glock!!!
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links