California Man Goes to Beach to Photograph Tsunami -- Now Missing.

This is a discussion on California Man Goes to Beach to Photograph Tsunami -- Now Missing. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A California man went to the scenic beach at the mouth of the Klamath river south of Crescent City, CA to get some good close-up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Man Goes to Beach to Photograph Tsunami -- Now Missing.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

California Man Goes to Beach to Photograph Tsunami -- Now Missing.

A California man went to the scenic beach at the mouth of the Klamath river south of Crescent City, CA to get some good close-up photographs of the incoming Tsunami wave from the earthquake in Japan.

However, no one knows if he managed to get some photographs of the wave coming in, as his camera is also missing along with him.

Here is a photo of what the flat, low lying beach at the mouth of the Klamath looks like. The incoming wave was estimated to have been 6 1/2 feet high.

Here is a detailed news report about this incident:

Tsunami sweeps man into sea in California

Could this sad tragedy have possibly been avoided?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    No. It could not be avoided. There is one in every crowd with no brains and big ambitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    No. It could not be avoided. There is one in every crowd with no brains and big ambitions.
    Very good point. I guess it really sucks, though, for that one person.

Well, I guess he should have been aware of the risks of his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It now turns out that a total of 7 people, 3 in California, and 4 men in Oregon, were all endangered by these Tsunami waves.

It turns out that this fellow in California at the Klamath river was 25 years old, and had actually brought his wife and young child with him. They watched in horror as he was swept to sea.

In Brookings, OR, which is 30 miles to the north of the Klamath river, 4 Oregon men were strolling on the beach, and the Tsunami wave washed them all out. However, two of the men managed to swim back to shore, and the other two were later rescued. So none of them ended up dying.

So unfortunately there was more than one person today that had no brains.

The Coast Guard searched a 320 sq mile area around the Klamath beach today, but was never able to find the man's body. They have now officially given up searching for him.

See this updated news report for full details on all of these latest developments:

Search Suspended for California Man Swept Into Sea By Tsunami - ABC News

He's out of the gene pool now. I saw this on the Cable News, what an idiot.

He obviously had no concept about telephoto lenses, and what they are for. ....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Really? Didn't even think to bring a lifejacket and think of some plan about what happens if he got caught up in it?

It's a tsunami... not a shuttle launch. Give me a break. And he left behind a wife and kid who had to watch him die? Come on! I have pity for his family, but really very little for this man. Plus, imagine the resources expended in searching a 320 sq mi area. I'm sure the Coast Guard has many other things to do right now.

Administrator
    I had a strange thought; What a perfect way to fake your own death so your family could collect insurance money. Not that I'm advocating that or suggesting that is what this guy did.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Darwin award candidate. Too bad that he has already procreated. His child will carry the wound of his stupidity for life.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

hmmm

Guess I will be the first to say I am sorry to his family and friends for their loss.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I had a strange thought; What a perfect way to fake your own death so your family could collect insurance money. Not that I'm advocating that or suggesting that is what this guy did.
    I also had that thought too. Very interesting.

But to the ops post, why would you want to prevent it? If the man was that stupid, well, Darwin's theory worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Darwin award candidate. Too bad that he has already procreated. His child will carry the wound of his stupidity for life.
    Talk about needing therapy! Imagine having to live knowing that half of your DNA came from this idiot.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Momma always said stupid is as stupid does.

They should bill his insurance for the search costs...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Unfortunate yes, he did this all on his own choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links