History in schools?

History in schools?

This is a discussion on History in schools? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This afternoon I was out on my porch working on the stock for my new flintlock I'm building. Some kids,6th an 7th graders asked what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: History in schools?

History in schools?

This afternoon I was out on my porch working on the stock for my new flintlock I'm building. Some kids,6th an 7th graders asked what I was working on. I told them a flintlock but they had no idea what that was. So then I informed them that it was the same rifle that Daniel Boone carried. They had no clue as to who he was so I told them to ask their teacher in school tomorrow.

When did they quit teaching about Daniel Boone in school?

Michael

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    about the same time that they started teaching political correctness in public media classes
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    I would not want to be a history teacher in today's world. No matter what you say some parent will hammer you for being a revisionist, a communist, a liberal, a right-wing nut, and more.

You want the kids to know about Daniel Boone, either go to a library and help them get an age appropriate book or rent an old movie. And then, nowadays there is a website for everything.

Daniel Boone TV: Home

I haven't checked it out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I would not want to be a history teacher in today's world. No matter what you say some parent will hammer you for being a revisionist, a communist, a liberal, a right-wing nut, and more.

You want the kids to know about Daniel Boone, either go to a library and help them get an age appropriate book or rent an old movie. And then, nowadays there is a website for everything.

Daniel Boone TV: Home

I haven't checked it out.
    Great site, Daniel Boone was one of my favorite shows along with Maverick, Have Gun Will Travel, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train and a few others. Today’s indoctrination centers (formerly schools) are more interested in teaching the end of course tests and how much funding they can get. When I went back to college a few years ago I was amazed that over 70% of the entrants were required to take remedial classes just to get up to collage standards. These were recent high school graduates who should have been ready for collage; I graduated in 1968 and did not need any remedial classes, go figure.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Great site, Daniel Boone was one of my favorite shows along with Maverick, Have Gun Will Travel, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train and a few others. Today’s indoctrination centers (formerly schools) are more interested in teaching the end of course tests and how much funding they can get. When I went back to college a few years ago I was amazed that over 70% of the entrants were required to take remedial classes just to get up to collage standards. These were recent high school graduates who should have been ready for collage; I graduated in 1968 and did not need any remedial classes, go figure.
    I don't mean to be a smart ass, but I can't resist. I went to school on an athletic scholarship and was considered by many to be a dumb jock. I did know who Daniel Boone was and I did know how to spell COLLEGE! (I'm sorry msgt/ret, I just couldn't resist - besides, I majored in English Lit - we had to be able to spell. Hope you can take some ribbing!)

P.S. Have Gun, Will Travel was my favorite.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldy49 View Post
    I don't mean to be a smart ass, but I can't resist. I went to school on an athletic scholarship and was considered by many to be a dumb jock. I did know who Daniel Boone was and I did know how to spell COLLEGE! (I'm sorry msgt/ret, I just couldn't resist - besides, I majored in English Lit - we had to be able to spell. Hope you can take some ribbing!)

P.S. Have Gun, Will Travel was my favorite.
    Oops darn spell checker.
    Last edited by rstickle; March 16th, 2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Language workaround

Tell them to check out "Liberty's Kids". Kind of a neat cartoon set in Revolutionary era America. It's not half bad really, and probably as good a history lesson as the school will give them.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...x_r7yatKNJVMBA
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Yeah, I AM a social studies teacher with 22 years of experience, the last 15 in an inner city high school in the 4th largest school district in the country. I get more death threats from the kids than I do objections to the well rounded (all sides) content I teach. Here is the stock speech with which I start my school year whenever I get to teach SENIORS (American Government & Economics one semester each):

It's CRITICAL to distinguish between the LIBERALISM of the continuing historical revisionism in education to support liberal causes with reality. I DO this in this manner:

Everything in life and history consists of three categories: Subjects, Issues and Agendas.

Everything is a subject.

Discussing ALL sides and permutations of a subject creates an ISSUE, which can be debated in honest and valid fashion.

Discussing ONE side of a subject creates an AGENDA and that is sheer manipulation to get you to act in a certain manner at a certain time ... usually this means a vote in the future. The public school system has the same message on a variety of subjects from Kindergarten thru senior high school and it never varies.

I'll prove it. Every student in this room is a senior.

#1 Have ANY of you in the past 12 years of school heard any educator, administrator or counselor say anything POSITIVE about firearms? Show your hands. Okay, none. Fact is, firearms are an Olympic sport and a part of the historical fabric of the nation. Regardless of what you think of the 2nd Amendment (and the USSC has ruled on that in the affirmative for the first time in about 70 years) there is a part of the Constitution that is dedicated to guns. Read the writings of the Founding Fathers and you may discover a whole bunch of absolute gun nuts! Or maybe not so "nuts."

#2 Have ANY of you in the past 12 years heard any educator, administrator or counselor say anything NEGATIVE about the United Nations? Show your hands. Okay ZERO again. In fact we have whole events dedicated to the wonders of humanitarian love in the UN. The reality is that the UN is made up of a lot of nations that hold a lot of animosity to the USA. If they got the chance they'd happily eradicate us from the planet. IF.

And that ladies and gentlemen is how I START the year. Right now, I'm on Spring Break. When I go back to work next week, I'll be about to start the final quarter of the year. No objections yet. Although I have had my life threatened three times by the punks. One of them was busted on campus the following day with a firearm in his possession. But am I allowed to carry? What do you think?

Two years ago a teacher at my school was jumped after school outside his classroom for the offense of having confiscated an iPod. The crackhead mom, sister who had the thing taken from her and the golden gloves boxer brother all jumped this nice old math teacher who was tutoring on his own time (unpaid) after school. It happened right across the hall from MY room but I was out sick that day to my everlasting sheepdog regret. The poor old guy had his jaw busted in three places! He never returned to teaching. The NEXT day (when I'm back) all my kids want to know if I'm now scared to come to work? So I tell them in the same tired voice: "Look folks, I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt whuppin' so.... I'm just gonna KILL ya!" Their eyes get to dinner plate size and one would whisper: "Yeah we kinda thought you'd say something like that." I've never been tried at this school. Happened a couple of times at another inner city school at which I taught. When I was recruited for the new one, the kids at the former called their buddies at the new school and told them the same thing: "You lucky so and so's have a great new social studies teacher comin' in. Former US Army Officer, former law enforcement. He'll teach you RIGHT but don't you mess with this white man 'cuz he will split your skull!" LOL or words to that effect. That's what the security guys at the new school all told me the second I reported in. Well. Okay. That's life in the 'Hood, I guess.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; March 16th, 2011 at 03:06 AM. Reason: spelling
    surefire7 likes this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thanks for your service in all three professions! I'd have done a lot better in High School if you'd have been my teacher. I must have learned something though, because I did real good in college, once I realized that once you paid your money, they didn't care what you did, you could pay again next semester. When it's your own money, you seem to be a little more interested in getting something out of the effort.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Thanks for your service in all three professions! I'd have done a lot better in High School if you'd have been my teacher. I must have learned something though, because I did real good in college, once I realized that once you paid your money, they didn't care what you did, you could pay again next semester. When it's your own money, you seem to be a little more interested in getting something out of the effort.
    LoL You're welcome and backatcha! I guess if I'd gone into business, I could have made a heap more money, but DANG I have had a kickin' good time! If I'd done anything else, I'm pretty sure I'd be divorced or dead by now, too. Proof God has a plan, I think.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    When did they quit teaching about Daniel Boone in school?

Michael
    When they found out he wasn't mentioned on the standard test!

Actually it probably has something to to with location also. I went to school in New York City, and was taught about the Dutch in early New York. My kids who went to school in Maryland never got anything worth while on that subject. Not to mention that in later life as I did my own reading, mostly in primary sources, I learned most of what was taught in Social Studies sadly, was crap.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

My daughter is in 8th grade. She is taking Georgia Studies. I dont know what Georgia Studies is going to do for her in the future, especially when we are moving to Germany this summer. My kids are familiar with some AMERICAN history as I like to stop at places such as the Alamo and any battle ground on our travels. I never hesitate to stop what I am doing and Google box a subject and have them sit down and read up on it if they have a question. They dont like it sometimes as I try and find the page with the MOST information on it. Sometimes they get really into it though. The computer can be a great tool as long as we arent just using it as a Social Media center....
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Honestly we really need to take our schools back from the students. They have been given way too much latitude and just about run the place.

Schools are for education, not threating the teachers with everything including death. The parents should be held accountable like it used to be for the actions of their little darlings when they go off the chart with violent behavior.

A really, really good butt whoopin' sometimes would be the ticket, but because of the folks who look for anything that even resembles child abuse are hovering around, corporal punishment is out of the question. Our school's have become war zones.

I couldn't be a teacher under those conditions, because I don't take no crap from kids who think they are "bad" so nobody can stop them.
    Last edited by rstickle; March 16th, 2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Language workaround
    surefire7 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    North Carolina is currently pushing for the elimination of four end of course tests, if it passes it is doubtful these courses will be taught. Interesting to note which subjects will be eliminated.

The Senate Education Committee voted Wednesday in favor of House Bill 48, which would end standardized tests in U.S. history, algebra 2, physical science and civics and economics next school year because they aren't required by the federal government.
    Bill to eliminate four tests advances in NC Senate :: WRAL.com

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    North Carolina is currently pushing for the elimination of four end of course tests, if it passes it is doubtful these courses will be taught. Interesting to note which subjects will be eliminated.

Bill to eliminate four tests advances in NC Senate :: WRAL.com
    This is really sad. I love history, many of my forefathers were connected to the military that helped create the United States of America. To eliminate the study of history is to completely ignore how we came to be.

It sounds like they feel that history is just a "thing of the past" and needs to be........well.........history.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links