28th amendment proposal.

This is a discussion on 28th amendment proposal. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; No one has been able to explain to me why young men and women serve in the U.S. Military for 20 years, risking their lives ...

Thread: 28th amendment proposal.

28th amendment proposal.

No one has been able to explain to me why young men and women serve in the U.S. Military for 20 years, risking their lives protecting freedom, and only get 50% of their pay. While politicians hold their political positions in the safe confines of the capital, protected by these same men and women, and receive full pay retirement after serving one term. It just does not make any sense.

Monday on Fox news they learned that the staffers of Congress family members are exempt from having to pay back student loans. This will get national attention if other news networks will broadcast it. When you add this to the below, just where will all of it stop?

35 States file lawsuit against the Federal Government

Governors of 35 states have filed suit against the Federal Government for imposing unlawful burdens upon them. It only takes 38 (of the 50) States to convene a Constitutional Convention.

This will take less than thirty seconds to read. If you agree, please pass it on.

This is an idea that we should address.

For too long we have been too complacent about the workings of Congress. Many citizens had no idea that members of Congress could retire with the same pay after only one term, that they specifically exempted themselves from many of the laws they have passed (such as being exempt from any fear of prosecution for sexual harassment) while ordinary citizens must live under those laws. The latest is to exempt themselves from the Healthcare Reform... in all of its forms. Somehow, that doesn't seem logical. We do not have an elite that is above the law. I truly don't care if they are Democrat, Republican, Independent or whatever. The self-serving must stop.

If each person that receives this will forward it on to 20 people, in three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message.. This is one proposal that really should be passed around.

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States ."

You are one of my 20.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoMan97 View Post
    No one has been able to explain to me why young men and women serve in the U.S. Military for 20 years, risking their lives protecting freedom, and only get 50% of their pay. While politicians hold their political positions in the safe confines of the capital, protected by these same men and women, and receive full pay retirement after serving one term. It just does not make any sense.
    The reason is to insulate our legislators from corruption and financial pressure to perform one way over another. Congressmen are up for election every two years. The purpose of this "retirement" is to help assuage any fear they might have when voting for something that is "right" but unpopular. The idea is that if you had a choice between doing what is "right" for your country but being out of work in six months, or just going along and keeping that paycheck coming in, what would you choose? This "retirement" is there to help insure our legislators do the "right" thing, even if it costs them their job.

Now with all that said...I think it's a nice idea but it doesn't work. Our Congress critters today are so power hungry and elite that it's not really about the money anymore.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member

Monday on Fox news they learned that the staffers of Congress family members are exempt from having to pay back student loans. This will get national attention if other news networks will broadcast it. When you add this to the below, just where will all of it stop?

35 States file lawsuit against the Federal Government

Governors of 35 states have filed suit against the Federal Government for imposing unlawful burdens upon them. It only takes 38 (of the 50) States to convene a Constitutional Convention.

This will take less than thirty seconds to read. If you agree, please pass it on.

This is an idea that we should address.

For too long we have been too complacent about the workings of Congress. Many citizens had no idea that members of Congress could retire with the same pay after only one term, that they specifically exempted themselves from many of the laws they have passed (such as being exempt from any fear of prosecution for sexual harassment) while ordinary citizens must live under those laws. The latest is to exempt themselves from the Healthcare Reform... in all of its forms. Somehow, that doesn't seem logical. We do not have an elite that is above the law. I truly don't care if they are Democrat, Republican, Independent or whatever. The self-serving must stop.

If each person that receives this will forward it on to 20 people, in three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message.. This is one proposal that really should be passed around.

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States ."

You are one of my 20.
    I want to address the parts which I put into bold.

1) It is untrue that Congressmen are exempted from prosecution for anything. What is true is that The Constitution itself prevents their arrest while Congress is in session. Plenty of Congressmen have gone to jail.

2) It makes sense to give Congressional staff student loan forgiveness. It is just a way of increasing pay to people who have absolutely NO benefits from the Civil Service system as Congressional staff are not employees of The Executive Branch.
    Other employers and other branches of the Federal Government, and some state and local governments arrange various ways of reducing the student debt to attract good people. Who the heck would be able to live and work in DC or nearby in a job that might disappear with each election cycle if the overall pay weren't adequate? So, if it is true that Congressional staff get breaks on student loans, the policy is there for a purpose, which is to enable the hiring of the best staff possible.

3) You need to go and find out something about the retirement system for elected Congress members. As presented above the information you say came from FOX is false.

Here is the truth about Congressional pensions: "Members of Congress are eligible for a pension at age 62 if they have completed at least five years of service. They are eligible for a pension at age 50 if they have completed 20 years of service, or at any age after completing 25 years of service. The amount of the pension depends on years of service and the average of the highest three years of salary." U.S. Senate: Reference Home > Is it true that . . . > (I put the bold on the statement.)

As usual, Fox doesn't bother to get things right or just makes stuff up to rile folks.

As usual, Fox doesn't bother to get things right or just makes stuff up to rile folks.[/QUOTE]

I am retired Military and I do not get 50%................... and I like the content of the Fox news quote above; You know it almost like they had an agenda or something???? but we all know they are fairly unbalanced ...

Administrator
    This is dangerously close to falling into political discussion, which is a no no here. Tread lightly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Many of the so called 'perks' legislators and judges have are to insure that they are able to discharge their duties without interference from other branches of the government.

For example, if congress is holding an investigation into the president's actions, he can't call the marshal's service and say "Arrest Sen. Timmons. He's getting too close to this..." - aside from having no probable cause, and all that stuff, the very fabric of the government says that while congress is in session, legislators cannot be harassed in that manner:

They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place. US Constitution, Article 1, Sec 6

Similarly, judges should be free of interference of the legislature pulling on the purse strings to influence them over politics.

Can you imagine a democratic house, senate and the president having a fit over Heller? "Oh...so that's how it is...No pay for you old men and women on the Supreme Court! We simply won't allocate money for your salary!"

Sorry, can't do that...

Article III - The Judicial Branch
    Section 1 - Judicial powers

The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behavior, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services a Compensation which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.

Frustration with the government is normal, but the government needs some freedom to act within it's delegation of authority.

Checks and balances, people.

Sorry guys. I guess most of this could have been debunked with a bit of research on my part. I have to learn to not just copy and paste.

snopes.com: 28th Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Sorry guys. I guess most of this could have been debunked with a bit of research on my part. I have to learn to not just copy and paste.

snopes.com: 28th Amendment
    It takes character to admit that you made a mistake. Nicely done Sir.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Links