Hunting Scope

This is a discussion on Hunting Scope within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I looked around on some hunting forums but I wanted to see what your opinions were. I'm buying a new scope for my .308 for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hunting Scope

Hunting Scope

I looked around on some hunting forums but I wanted to see what your opinions were.
    I'm buying a new scope for my .308 for next hunting season. The scopes I am looking at are the Redfield Revolution, Leupold Rifleman series, and the Vortex Diamondback. I am mostly looking at the 4-12x40mm ones but have thought about the 3-9x50mm, though most of what I have read has said that the 50mm is unecessary for most hunting. I know these are kind of lower end scopes but I am working on a budget around $250.
    Vortex also makes one that is 3.5-10x50, that might be a good trade off between the other two sizes but if 50mm is really unecessary then I don't want to give up the extra magnification. I will be using it for antelope and deer, and hopefully elk. Around here 300-400 yard shots aren't uncommon especially for antelope which is why I am mostly looking at the 4-12 powers.
    OK enough rambling, has anyone used any of these? Give me some opinions. Also if you know of other good ones in this price range feel free to throw them in the mix as well.
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

You should be able to get a decent scope for that money. I would recommend going to a store that sells them so you can see for yourself which has the best glass. If you go in the afternoon you can compare better to see which one transmits most light (not that easy in bright sunlight).
    Go for a 30mm tube instead of a 50mm on a 1" since it will let in more light.
    I have seen the Rifleman, and it looked very good to me, but I can't compare it to the other ones.

VIP Member
    I don't like Vortex products at all. I think they are crap.

I recently bought a Redfield scope and I felt it was a lot of scope for the money. I also really like Nikon scopes because they have a ton of quality built in and they aren't too pricey.

Lastly I have to be a salesman and point you to this:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...lam-ne-oh.html

It's a very nice 4.5X14 scope that is in your price range. Like the link says I paid $411 plus tax for it and I want to turn it over. My loss is your gain.
    This is Weavers top of the line scope. It would compare to Leupolds VXII series scopes.
    Hobbs likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Leupold has great glass, but their Rifleman series is built to a "popular" price point. The lack of click adjustments was a deal-breaker for me. I ended up with a Bushnell Elite for about the same money.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I will second the Bushnell Elite 3200. Midway had the 3X9X40 for less than $200.00 a few weeks ago. This is a great hunting scope and will do everthing you will ask of your .308.

Thanks everyone. When I compared the Redfield and the Leupold in the store I couldn't tell much if any difference, and if I understand correctly Redfield is made by Leupold? I will have to take a look at the Bushnell's next time I am at the store, and compare them to the others. Thanks for the opinion on the Vortex, I haven't actually seen one in person but I heard it might compare to the others, anyone else have experience with Vortex?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    Thanks everyone. When I compared the Redfield and the Leupold in the store I couldn't tell much if any difference, and if I understand correctly Redfield is made by Leupold? I will have to take a look at the Bushnell's next time I am at the store, and compare them to the others. Thanks for the opinion on the Vortex, I haven't actually seen one in person but I heard it might compare to the others, anyone else have experience with Vortex?
    Jut make sure you compare a top of the line Bushnell. The 3200 or higher in number. Bushnell's cheaper scopes are not too good.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member
    I don't have one but I hear good things on the Mueller scopes and most are way under your budget. The 4.5-14x40 is $130 shipped at opticsplanet.

You also might find a good price if you can find a Bushnell 3200 Elite, Bushnell is discontining them.

I just bought a Leupold VXII 2-7x33 yesterday to go on my new 10/22 deluxe.

I'd save some more money and go with the Zeiss Conquest 3X9 with 40mm objective. $400 or a little less and it beats scopes out costing more. Just my opinon; but, I have several VX-3's and others for comparison, and I'll take the Zeiss.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    That Weaver that ATCTIMMY recommended is indeed a very good scope, but is quite a bit beyond the budget you stated.

Another similar option would be the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 SF It has a great power range for long distance hunting. It also has side focus parallax adjustment, which is so much more convenient. And you can even get it with a great Mil-Dot reticle to help in dealing with long shots at no extra charge, unlike many other companies. I have two of them, and they work great.

Price is $300 even with free shipping from Opticsplanet.com:

Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 Waterproof Riflescope SF w/ FREE UPS Rifle scope 6456 6453 6469 6452 5-14x40mm

Just click on the REVIEWS link on that page, and you will see how lots of people besides myself really love this scope.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    That Weaver that ATCTIMMY recommended is indeed a very good scope, but is quite a bit beyond the budget you stated.
    Except that ATCTimmy is offering it for $225, so it is in the price range.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

To me the best bang for the buck is the Nikon Monarch series. This is what i have on my rifle.

Nikon 8464 Rifle Scopes Monarch UCC Riflescope
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Except that ATCTimmy is offering it for $225, so it is in the price range.

Ah, OK, I stand corrected. I thought that the link was to some website selling the scope. I did not realize that it was a used scope that he himself was offering for sale. I never clicked on the link.

That would indeed then be a fantastic bargain. The Grand Slams are the top of Weaver's product line. They are very clear and bright. I have a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 on one of my .22's, and it is great. I'm sure that this other Grand Slam is just as good,

VIP Member
    If you guys keep talking about how nice my scope is I might have to raise the price. :)

Since no one asked, what type of hunting are you going to do? Are you in a stand or a stalker? Are your shots flat over long distance 300+yds? Hilly 100 yd shots? Hunt sunset and twilight, or just daylight? What type of rifle? Need more info for your needs. IMO 4x12 is a lot of magnification to pay for and lug around for deer size game. You can get better glass for the money in the 3x9 scopes then when you jump to a higher magnification. BTW when you are testing scopes out at the store, point them in a dark corner, not the bright areas. Any scope using wet baggies for glass looks good in high light. The better scopes allow you to see more in the dark areas then you can see w/ a naked eye.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links