From a Hummer to Geo....My great buy.....

This is a discussion on From a Hummer to Geo....My great buy..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since gas been on the rise again and my Hummer gets 13.2 miles to the gallon on a good day I was looking for an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From a Hummer to Geo....My great buy.....

Since gas been on the rise again and my Hummer gets 13.2 miles to the gallon on a good day I was looking for an alternative. I ran into a sweet deal. One of my moms friends had to go into a nursing home and had to sell everything. I bought her 1990 Geo Prism she bought in 1994 with 65,000 miles. When I bought it from her it had 82,000 miles. 17,000 miles in 16 years!!!! It's not perfect but is getting 30.6 miles to the gallon. For $500 it's one of the best investments for me yet. Anybody else bought an extra vehicle to lessen your fuel bill?
    Attached Images
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

VIP Member
    No but I do drive my spare car a bit more frequently.

IMG_0411.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Might want to see if she has any guns for sale.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    nice hummer
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

My Ford truck has a 36 gallon gas tank... gas is $3.79 around here last week... enough to make you sick. Yes, i do actually drive my motorcycle to work and around town quite often, but there is still snow onteh ground here... another thing to make you sick. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Nope still drive my 12 mpg silverado. It's paid off so I don't worry about gas prices since if I did get a newer vehicle it would cost me more in payments than the $200-$300 a month i spend in gas

When I had my Dodge truck (12 mpg) I thought about a "Smart" just to run around town.
    Basically a scooter with a roof and 4 wheels.
    But the thought of $1000 insurance, and another license tag nixed that idea.
    Now, I have a Honda Element and no truck.

I find myself driving the F-150 Supercrew less....and the wife's Prius more....

But I still have the truck for when I need it...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Better get the Geo tuned up. Mine gets 39 mpg on any day, of the week, and it has over 182,000 on it. Just like a Timex, takes a lickin and keeps on tickin

VIP Member
    During the second oil shock of the 1970 when gas jumped from 30 cents a gallon to 95 cents, I switched to a moped, but that got poor mileage too out of a smelly 2 cycle underpowered engine.

I have an 8 year old 4 x 4 4 Runner which I really like and it has only 55K miles on it. Now that I am retired I don't do more than about 4 K a year, tops on this vehicle. SO, I'm going to tough out the high prices.

A Nissan Leaf (all electric) would serve me very very well for 99% of my driving, but it would be totally useless the other 1%.

Someone needs to produce an SUV style vehicle with the mechanics of the Chevy Volt--- gas-plug-in hybrid. Even if the dang thing only went 15 miles just on plug in, it would probably cut my gas bills by 90%. I'd also be interested in a gas-propane dual fuel vehicle.

Anyway, congrats on the Geo. You can't go wrong when it costs 500 bucks and moves.

I love my diesel 4 Runner, 40 to 45 mpg (2 miles less mpg on b100) and it will climb trees if I let it. Toyota made the best truck in the world when it they made the diesels with a great combo of power and fuel economy, second only to the Izuzu 4 cyl diesel. It will go places my ex-father in-laws hummer couldn't even get close to. Sad thing is that electric vehicles do more damage to the environment than good, but ya can't beat the short term savings. Converting my diesel Benz to run on WVO and Diesel all out of one tank this summer. When the SHTF I wanna be mobile!!!!

Lead Moderator
    My motorcycle is my daily driver in the summer . 45-48 mpg.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    YES.

I have had 4x4's since 1981. 8 total, one Ramcharger, 2 Blazers '83& '85, 5 Suburbans, 78, 79, 2-1989's and the '05 we still have.
    We used to have TWO suburbans, both '89s at the same time.
    Now we have the '05 Burban, I drive a '95 saturn twin cam wagon to work and back, 98 mi. rtrip. A 97 Taurus, w/192,000 mi.
    , and I now have my Dads '95 tahoe 4x4 my mom didn't want after he passed.
    The oil companies are killing us right now, I think because the time they have feared is now near.
    With the advent of newer technology, with lithium batteries and such, we will GREATLY reduce our need for them, so its profit/rake-the-public-over-the-coals time.
    Its their way of saying
    BOHICA.
    Bend Over Here It Comes Again.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member
    Enjoy it!

There is something liberating about driving a car where there is no worry where you park, what you park under (dripping sap or bird soot), who gives you a door job, rocks on the windsheild, spilling that diet coke on the seat, OR paying outrageous rates for insurance and plates.

(having said this, my heart did go pitter patter at the sight of that Z)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    my silverado gets 18 mpg, in city and 21 on highway, i use ethonol in it now which is 50-60 cents cheaper a gallon than gasoline and fuel economy dropped to 15 mpg
    other than that, not bad on 30 bucks a week for daily driving
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links