Cell Phones & Driving

Cell Phones & Driving

This is a discussion on Cell Phones & Driving within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know I will be stepping on many toes here. And, I am the hypocrite as there are times that I did not have my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Cell Phones & Driving

Distinguished Member

Cell Phones & Driving

I know I will be stepping on many toes here. And, I am the hypocrite as there are times that I did not have my headset in the car - but not often.

In the past two years, every close call I have had with another car, every weave into another lane, every sit through the green light until it turns yellow, EVERY GO TEN MILES UNDER THE SPEED LIMIT WITH SIX CARS BEHIND ME, involved someone with their head cocked slightly to the left or right, elbow protruding, and cellphone stuck in their ear. Without fail. And writing this rant won't change one mind but I do feel better.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Keep stepping on toes until people WAKE UP. I can't believe the misuse of cell phones while driving. I'd love to see an automatic means to disable cell phones while the user is driving.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

They should set the phones to turn the car off when used, that way it would be real easy to tell who is using one. Make it much easier for the LEO's to find them.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    I know I will be stepping on many toes here. And, I am the hypocrite as there are times that I did not have my headset in the car - but not often.

In the past two years, every close call I have had with another car, every weave into another lane, every sit through the green light until it turns yellow, EVERY GO TEN MILES UNDER THE SPEED LIMIT WITH SIX CARS BEHIND ME, involved someone with their head cocked slightly to the left or right, elbow protruding, and cellphone stuck in their ear. Without fail. And writing this rant won't change one mind but I do feel better.
    I personally see little practical difference between a drunk driver and a person driving while taking on a cell phone (especially texting).

I've used my cell phone while driving, but if it became illegal, I wouldn't mind and and would follow the law.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    They should set the phones to turn the car off when used, that way it would be real easy to tell who is using one. Make it much easier for the LEO's to find them.
    I suppose I would be pretty POed if I am driving on the highway and my wife or kids get on the phone and the car dies. This makes no sense at all. How would your device know who is using the phone?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've used my cell phone while driving, but if it became illegal, I wouldn't mind and and would follow the law.
    I agree.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I do so myself, and stats supposedly say no difference with headphones. But, I use my headphones almost exclusively. Doesn't hurt that I'm half deaf and the headphones help.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

VIP Member
    Agree with OP. Every near miss in a parking lot has been with some individual backing out of a parking spot with phone to his or her ear. I realize there are people whose jobs and livelihood depend on the existence of instant communications, but those folks need to be using hands-free sets or reorganize how they accomplish their job. I also realize there are sometimes family emergencies and urgent call to be received and made, but usually it is possible to just wait a few seconds and park somewhere.

Our legislature won't legislate against driving while using the phone. The closest they have come is to make the use of cell phones in school zones a no no. That's only a very small start.

Driving while on the phone is indeed almost as bad as DUI, and I sure wish it were unlawful, with minor exceptions for real emergencies. I'm sure a few lives would be saved, many injuries and much property damage would be prevented.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Oh, I do have comtempt for motorists who drive way below the speed limit and/or impede traffic while using the cellphone or texting with it. Makes my blood boil and wish I could ram a cellphone down every one of their throats. My thing with this is, if you use the cellphone, still keep your situational awareness, whether driving or walking. And also if you make a mistake while driving, raise your hand to the other motorist to admit it.

No doubt, but I've also had close calls with teenaged girls singing and talking with their friends in the passenger seats; mothers yelling at their kids in the backseat; people stuffing their faces full of french fries and/or a super big gulp soda; one guy who was literally asleep at the wheel. He actually hit me.
    drkangl6 and aznav like this.

Texting and talking on a handheld phone is illegal here but I can't tell you how many drivers are still going by with their eyes obviously focused down in their lap, where they can do their texting - - instead of watching where they are going. Recently the state even increased the fines and made it a 2-point violation on your license, but it doesn't seem to have much impact. Every year it's a little bit scarier on the roads.

HUA, in general, regardless of the cause, is becoming a more and more common condition for an increasing percentage of the population.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Oh, I do have comtempt for motorists who drive way below the speed limit and/or impede traffic while using the cellphone or texting with it. Makes my blood boil and wish I could ram a cellphone down every one of their throats. My thing with this is, if you use the cellphone, still keep your situational awareness, whether driving or walking. And also if you make a mistake while driving, raise your hand to the other motorist to admit it.
    We have many 4 way stop intersections. Folk come up to these busy and distracted by the cell phone and have no idea whether its their turn or not. When it is their turn they sit there because they are having a conversation. If you start to go, they suddenly forget their phone conversation and insist on driving on through, never noticing that another car had already entered the intersection. Some of these intersections are tricky enough when everyone is really paying attention. Get a couple of folks in different positions talking on their phones and no one knows who is supposed to enter the intersection. They either just sit there or the sometimes screech on by the stop sign they never saw.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i support a cell phone ban while driving, however there should be an exception for people in emergency service industries, security, power and light, police, ems, etc etc who have a legit reason for being on the phone in order to do their jobs. Normally while responding to an alarm call I have to notify supervisor, client, police, and the alarm company and its safer for me to do that than try to use my mobile comp to try to send the messages that way
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links