Clever toy cap gun's from the 60's

This is a discussion on Clever toy cap gun's from the 60's within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't know what made me think of it today, but being a kid in the early 60's I remember handling a belt buckle that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Clever toy cap gun's from the 60's

VIP Member

Clever toy cap gun's from the 60's

I don't know what made me think of it today, but being a kid in the early 60's I remember handling a belt buckle that contained a tiny derringer, as worn, when you flexed your stomach the cap pistol swung out and fired. I don't think I had one, but I clearly remember holding one in my hand and looking at it in awe. It probably belonged to one of my cousins. I found one on this page

Mattel Toy Cap Guns, Fanners and other Mattel Toys

It seems like I also remember a cowboy hat that contained a cap-pistol derringer, when you took off the hat, the derringer, through some mechanism, swung out and fired. I don't remember whether that was actually a toy for sale, or whether it was some device that I saw on a TV western. Frankly it sounds like something you'd see on the tv show "Wild, Wild West".

I'm sure about the buckle, but not sure about the hat. Anyone else remember?

Also on that link above, they had a spy kit where what appeared to be an AM radio converted to a toy machinegun at the push of a button. Cleverly designed fun stuff back then (we didn't have the internet )

I just remembered, as a kid, I had a BG that would draw and fire (well really his arm would just swing up). It was made to be a challenge as to who had the quickest draw, I suppose it had some "high-tech" timer light that would declare the winner. I barely remember it but it seems the cardboard cut-out of the BG stood about two feet tall and he had a black moustache.
    JD, JoJoGunn, Hopyard and 1 others like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

That brings back the memories. I had the Mattel "Fanner 50" revolvers.

Remember the Spy Case that had a concealed toy handgun that was spring-loaded and came out when you pressed a certain thing on the case?

I also have a photo of me and my brother dressed in Army uniforms on Christmas day. We are holding Johnny Eagle replicas of an M-14 assault rifle that had spring-loaded cartridges in a detachable box magazine. The thing worked nearly like the real thing the plastic bullets came out via the spring in the cartridge and the sticky cap on the end went "bang". when you pulled the trigger.

You couldn't have that nowadays the PC people would go crazy.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I don't remember if it was a Mattel, but I had a cap gun machine gun.
    You wound it up and it would go through a roll of caps like crap through a goose.
    Spent all my money on rolls of caps in those days.:)

Then I "discovered" firecrackers.....sigh.

HEY...I just hit the link, and there it was. The Mattel Grease Gun.
    BOY, WHAT A TOY!
    No orange cap on the end of the barrel on my model.

My Brother and I had a Johnny Eagle rifle and 1911 that fired a projectile and ejected a case. This was the 60's.

Tried to post a stock photo, but could not get it to work
    Craig S. Flaherty
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

Johnny Eagle, that rings a bell. I had a 911 that shot plastic bullets. They were a PITA to push the bullet back into the spring loaded casing, but it was worth it. I had the spy things, too. I remember the spring loaded briefcase and also had a plastic movie camera (remember, movie cameras were bigger back then) that shot plastic bullets. I remember the side opened up and that's where the extras were stored. It was always falling open. Had a Star Trek Laser, too. It shot brightly colored discs as fast as you could pull the trigger. And a good assortment of cap guns, including a snubbie where the "caps" were on a round plastic disc that fit onto the cylinder. That was from the early seventies. That sucker was LOUD. The cylinder rotated and a fresh load was brought into place, just like the real thing.
    All my toys were left at my parents and when they sold their house I got $1800 for them all. They handled the antique guy, so I don't know how everything was broken down on worth, but my full set of Matchbox cars, complete with boxes and the two Matchbox briefcases to hold them all, probably were worth the most. Still, you have to think all those old toy guns would have caught some collector's eye.

They'll Never See my Gun Camera!

Lead Moderator
    I had the Fanner 50 single holster set and it was my favorite "gun set" growing up. Being old () the gun was one of the early ones before they had the shooting bullets, but I didn't care. Wish I still had it!!

I think of of the things I liked most was the holster and belt were so nice an plain, most of the other cap gun sets had fancy "crap" all over the leather. (And yes, they used real leather, not plastic)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Not only that, you could ( I did ) take them to school for "show-N-Tell". I had this belt deringer, and a "Johnny 7 OMA" (one man army) ... 7 guns in 1, by far my favorite childhood toy, no orange caps to be found anywhere!!
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I remember the Napolean Solo toy gun from the TV series: "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Roy Rodgers pistol sets were popular for several years:

There was a toy version of the rifle belonging to the "The Rifleman" too:

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post

There was a toy version of the rifle belonging to the "The Rifleman" too:

Nice. I'm certain I had a variety of toy cap guns and even had them with me in school. The boys were allowed to run around the playground and play 'cowboys and indians,' (no offense to any native Americans, that's the way it was). At some point the teachers began to disallow these because the caps actually did emit a tiny spark and kids would line the caps up on the concrete and whack them with pebbles to make them go off. This concerned the teachers because they feared little flying pieces of paper might get in an eye.

Note, no one was freaking out about drawings of toy guns, fingers being pointed, model toy soldiers with little rifles molded into the figure.

We've come a long way in the wrong direction and have turned our little boys into little girls.

Several months ago, perhaps a year, a leading General stated that there needed to be a revamping of basic because too many young men entered the army having never been in a fight of any kind, not even play fighting.

Cool

I still have the "Pocket Shot". Looks like a pen knife closed but opens into a pistol.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Still have my "Johnny 7 OMA" and my spy set from the 60's as well as my Roy Rogers cap guns.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Still have my "Johnny 7 OMA" and my spy set from the 60's as well as my Roy Rogers cap guns.....
    Those Johnny 7's (I had one too) bring stupid money today on EBAY, case in point Johnny Seven Toy OMA Topper - eBay (item 220758542243 end time Mar-29-11 03:44:49 PDT).

I also seem to remember having a briefcase with a hidden camera that shot plastic bullets out the back.

Those of us that grew up with I Spy, The Man (and later the Girl) From Uncle, James Bond etc, these toys should bring back some fond memories.

Just try showing these commercials on TV today!!

YouTube - 1964 JOHNNY SEVEN OMA TOY GUN COMMERCIAL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l_4xMjZu5g
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post

It was holster sets like this that drove me to my Fanner 50, but I did like Roy Rogers (and most of the other televised westerns of the time.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links