Spent some time with true American heroes...

This is a discussion on Spent some time with true American heroes... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 2011 Florida International Air Show hosted Col. Dick Cole, Maj. Tom Griffin, and Sgt. Dave Thatcher this weekend, 3 of the 5 remaining Doolittle's Tokyo ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By miklcolt45

Thread: Spent some time with true American heroes...

Spent some time with true American heroes...

2011 Florida International Air Show hosted Col. Dick Cole, Maj. Tom Griffin, and Sgt. Dave Thatcher this weekend, 3 of the 5 remaining Doolittle's Tokyo Raiders. When I thanked Maj. Griffin for his service, he said, "We were just doing our job." I still have a lump in my throat at what they did and the sacrifices they made.
    oneshot, JoJoGunn and RETSUPT99 like this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Awesome.
    I know of a few Korean vets,(my dad was one) his brother Ray(still alive) and a handful more vets from Vietnam.

When around them I get stupid quiet, out of reverence for them.

When I was much younger, the Star Spangled Banner usually gave me a lump in my throat.
    As I get older, it brings much more.

God Bless, and may we, the United States citizens hold ALL US military Veterans Dear to our hearts, and give them the respect they have earned and deserve

If there is to be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. Thomas Paine
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Met and had a nice little chat with a WWII vet this weekend. Thanked him for his service at the end of our conversation. Just got a shy smile and a thank you.

It is amazing when you chat with our Veterans and see how humble or soft-spoken they are about what they did. I have serious doubts that I could have done a fraction of what some have. Even though I never spent one day in the military, my family has a rich military history going all the way back to the Revolutionary War on the Colonial side.

My paternal Grandfather was a WWI veteran who would talk about the war occasionally when I prodded him.
    I remember him standing tall in his complete Doughboy uniform, everything from the steel Brit style helmet down to the leggings and boots that he came home with from the war. He would take me to places when they honored our war dead and I was proud to stand with him. Grand Dad's nephew was at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7,1941 at Hickam Field when it was strafed by a Japanese pilot as he ran for cover to a nearby palm tree. It was the first place he had ever been after growing up in Fauqier Co. Virginia.

I know of and have spoken with a person who recieved the Congressional Medal of Honor and he says, "I was just doing my job, that's all." He did one heck of a job, I am here to say. He destroyed nine Japanese "pill box" fortifications with a flame thrower on Iwo Jima because an officer asked if he could attempt it.

I salute all our Vets, they deserve it and so much more.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I too have met a lot of veterans over the years, and have found the ones that speak the softest are generaly the ones that have done the most. I have also spoken to a couple of MOH recipient's and they all said "I only did my job, just like any would have had they been there".
    God Bless them all.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Links