Tactical Reloading Practice

This is a discussion on Tactical Reloading Practice within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The thread over in tactical training about reloading practice got me thinking about my personal expertise in this subject. Well, not quite. I decided one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Reloading Practice

Talking Tactical Reloading Practice

The thread over in tactical training about reloading practice got me thinking about my personal expertise in this subject. Well, not quite.

I decided one day to do some serious reloading (and shooting practice) and got out a full size 1911. Shot it, reloaded, all kinds of ways. Then started working on how fast I could reload it if I ran it dry, so I'm dropping mags out and just hammering the new ones in.

So, I go to my regular carry gun, my Colt Defender which, of course, has an Officer's length grip on it. I proceed to roar all the ammo out of it, drop the mag, slam in a new mag -- and at that moment, I realize that
    1. the grip frame is shorter than my Government model
    2. my little finger sits right on the edge of the bottom of the Defender's grip frame
    3. I had not held my little finger out away from the frame when I rammed the new magazine in place
    4. a good portion of skin on my little finger is now wedged between the steel magazine baseplate and the bottom of the grip frame

I find the mag release, get everything down on the table next to me so I'm safe and clear, and then I decide that I will yell and jump around a while.

Worst part was telling my wife what had happened.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Hahaha - (sorry!) - but that is funny in retrospect!

Better that slip tho than the ubiquitous thumb taken down to the bone with slide ''surgery'' It's reminding me somehow of an ouch of my own but forget what the heck it was now - well, apart from M1A/Hakim/FAL 'bolt finger'!

Still very ouch tho!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Holy Ow, Batman!!!!

My buddy and I were plinkin and I was practicing shooting with my Surefire in my weak hand coupled under. My buddy decides to try it out also and while I'm turned around walkin back to get my soda, I hear the report, my friend yowl, and then the flashlight skitter by on the ground.

This smart guy had placed his flashlight wrist overtop of his shooting wrist and placed it DIRECTLY behind the slide (not under the wrist). It smacked his wrist so hard that it knocked the flashlight clear of his hand. Bruised his wrist pretty bad and he dropped my gun in the dirt.

He maintains that he learned his lesson but I told him he's not shooting my gun again until he takes a safety class. Not to mention what I had to do to get all of the Arizona sand/dirt/cinder out of my gun.

VIP Member
    OUCH OUCH OUCH!

David, that hurts just reading about it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Wait is this a AD or and A #%@#!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lead Moderator
    I have removed some skin from my hand with my 1911 pattern Sa exactly the same way. My buddy did the thumb -to -slide move with my PT140. Bleed all over.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Sometimes it just sucks to learn lessons the hard way, but then again they are ones we never forget. Not to mention how funny they are to watch others learn.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Been there

Been there, done that. Still hurts remembering.
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

I've accedently closed a slide on my finger (was one of the P series that I had, you have to push the do-hicky down in the mag well to strip it).

That hurt but the most amazing thing was that the slide closed in "slow motion" or so it seems, it was crystal clear to me.

Wayne

At sometime or another, past or future everbody will do an owie. I have never done the same one twice.

Funny stuff...but brings up a good point. Practice as much as possible with the pieces that we actually carry. Sure....we all have fun with our full sized pistols as well....but unless we are carrying them, our practice shoud focus on our 24/7 guns.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I was handling a 1911 as I have done a hundred times. Racked the slide back on an empty mag, removed the mag, cleared the weapon visually and physically, grasped the weapon by the slide to hand to a friend for inspection when the slide slammed home with the web of my hand between my thumb and index finger snuggly in the breech.

That felt real good.

I've caught the had once or twice with a few various guns over the years

DOH!

Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    2. my little finger sits right on the edge of the bottom of the Defender's grip frame
    3. I had not held my little finger out away from the frame when I rammed the new magazine in place
    4. a good portion of skin on my little finger is now wedged between the steel magazine baseplate and the bottom of the grip frame
    You do understand that this behavure on your part can turn a nice pistol that normaly feeds on about anything " anaorexic " ... I strongly recommend you dont make a habit of it LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links