Any GPS show real view?

This is a discussion on Any GPS show real view? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What I mean is - on the internet you have Google satellite view - zoom in on roads, trails, etc... Is there a GPS device ...

Thread: Any GPS show real view?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Any GPS show real view?

What I mean is - on the internet you have Google satellite view - zoom in on roads, trails, etc...

Is there a GPS device (hand held) that shows same - real view of any given area?

For trail riding, hiking and such….
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I believe the GPS apps on Droid cell phones can show a map or show Google satellite as you travel.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Only the ones with a data connection, like something Android or iOS based.

I have used DeLorme mapping/GPS products for years (same company that produces the state Gazitteers), their TOPO North America program can download the 1:25,000 USGS topo maps, color aerial photos, satellite images and NOAA sea nav charts and can be linked to their PN series handheld units.

There is a $30 annual subscription for their map/image library but you own the images and they are available even with out a cell data link, I have thousands of maps and photos I keep stored on a couple external drives. You can load both the 1;25,000 maps and photos to the handheld units and switch between them on the go.

The base program is great for planning both road and trail trips allowing you to see 3-D views of the area and you can see the profile of a trail as well as a find feature to locate stores, gas stations,motels etc, route planning with numerous vias. You can also get a GPS antenna to connect to a lap top for larger screen for use in a vehicle, I love the program and use it almost daily, I am on my 4th version.

Topo North America - DeLorme

Earthmate GPS - DeLorme

I was unable to find a bundled package with the base program and a PN series handheld like the last one I bought, if you are interested let me know and I can look into it, I am a preferred customer because of the number of programs I have purchased and can sometimes get "deals" not normally offered.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    +1 on a Droid with Google Maps and Google Earth.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    The big downside to GPS systems which rely on downloads (Android and iPhone style) is that you can easily get somewhere where there is no G3.

I have also repeatedly found errors when looking up addresses through google maps. And GPS doesn't always give "sensible" routing that you would choose if you had looked stuff up on a paper map first.

I've had a Tom Tom that I liked because it gave turn by turn voice directions, but lately it has had a semi-nervous breakdown and in the middle of a trip it will suddenly start sending me to the origin instead of my destination.

The take home message, GPS is great but get some printed maps and have a good idea of the whole trip and where you are going and don't rely on a "stupid" machine for anything critical.

Links