Greatest Film Documentary in US History opens this Sunday Night on PBS at 9pm!!!!

This is a discussion on Greatest Film Documentary in US History opens this Sunday Night on PBS at 9pm!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Every American should watch Ken Burn's monumental documentary "The Civil War" It is the most powerful and informative documentary ever done on American history. An ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LanceORYGUN

Thread: Greatest Film Documentary in US History opens this Sunday Night on PBS at 9pm!!!!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Greatest Film Documentary in US History opens this Sunday Night on PBS at 9pm!!!!

Every American should watch Ken Burn's monumental documentary "The Civil War" It is the most powerful and informative documentary ever done on American history.

An incredible 7 years in the making, researchers for the program visited 80 museums and libraries. Over 16,000 photos, diagrams, and paintings are displayed during the series. It was originally shown 21 years ago in 1990, and it is still the all time highest rated show in PBS history, getting up to 40 million viewers a night.

I cannot rave enough about this show, as I recall too clearly how outstanding it was. The format of the show literally takes you back into those times, as if you were experiencing them yourself. The program covers all key participants, from Lincoln to all the significant generals. But the most touching thing about the series is how it gives insight into how common ordinary Americans were so drastically affected by the war. It is often their perspective that the documentary focuses on.

The series opens this Sunday night, at 9pm It will be on for two hours each night, Sunday through Thursday, for a total of 10 hours of programming. If you cannot bring yourself to watch it, then I strongly recommend that you record it, if at all possible.

And if you have not already seen it before, you are in for a real treat that you will fondly remember for the rest of your life. The series was remastered in HD in 2002, so folks with HD TV's will now be able to see it better than ever on their TV's.

Don't miss this guys! If you do, you will surely regret it!

For more info:

http://www.pbs.org/civilwar/

babyhulk likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Yup, it's a great program. You can also watch it on NetFlix instant view anytime you want.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Yup, it's a great program. You can also watch it on NetFlix instant view anytime you want.
    What is the resolution like on the Netflix instant view, though? Is it a quality high def image?

I could never get NetFlix instant view to work with my Sony TV, so I gave up on the service when I tried it.

Set to record. I can never pass up a good history show/movie.

VIP Member
    I thought Red Dawn was the greatest documentary ever made?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by MadlyAlive View Post
    Set to record. I can never pass up a good history show/movie.

This one is not just good. It is the best one ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    What is the resolution like on the Netflix instant view, though? Is it a quality high def image?

I could never get NetFlix instant view to work with my Sony TV, so I gave up on the service when I tried it.

Is the TV internet ready? We run netflix through our Wii and it works great. Good quality, sound, not lag unless our internet. But you need some type of internet or wi fi device to run it into the TV.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Is the TV internet ready? We run netflix through our Wii and it works great. Good quality, sound, not lag unless our internet. But you need some type of internet or wi fi device to run it into the TV.
    Yep, it was Sony's top of the line model back in 2009, and was supposed to be Internet ready. Netflix said it was Sony's problem, but the Sony support person was a young lady who sounded as tech savvy as a gopher. She said I needed a firmware update, but I applied it, with no change.

So you can get 720 HD resolution? Or is even 1080 full HD possible?? Or is it just standard definition?

Yep, it was Sony's top of the line model back in 2009, and was supposed to be Internet ready. Netflix said it was Sony's problem, but the Sony support person was a young lady who sounded as tech savvy as a gopher. She said I needed a firmware update, but I applied it, with no change.

So you can get 720 HD resolution? Or is even 1080 full HD possible?? Or is it just standard definition?

That's a definite maybe. All they mention is "HD" and then it depends on the movie, the device you are using, and the internet connection. The Wii will not play HD streaming. I think the Xbox will stream too, and is more likely to be capable of HD. My tech saviness generally only applies to my toys.

Seems that they just started HD streaming for PC and Mac, so maybe using the TV as the monitor it could work too.

We are happy with the service, but not as interested in full HD as some folks are. We just don't have the gadgets to make it work at full capacity anyway.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

That's a definite maybe. All they mention is "HD" and then it depends on the movie, the device you are using, and the internet connection. The Wii will not play HD streaming. I think the Xbox will stream too, and is more likely to be capable of HD. My tech saviness generally only applies to my toys.
    I literally bought Sony's top model LCD TV in their 2009 product line. It even has true 240 megahertz refresh. It has a Netflix app built in. I was able to get a number of other Internet apps it had to work, just not the Netflix one.

Many of the other apps were just so lame, though, that I had no real interest in them. I've got a 27 inch Samsung LCD Monitor on my computer. And accessing the Internet with a PC is just so much easier.

We are happy with the service, but not as interested in full HD as some folks are. We just don't have the gadgets to make it work at full capacity anyway.
    Well, this is my only question about Netflix, is how good the video quality is on their online content. Is most of it at least 720 HD? I'll have to call them sometime and inquire about this.

To be honest, though, I really cannot find the time to watch all the content that I want that is available on my Comcast service. I occasionally supplement it with Blu Ray discs, mainly because I like to occasionally be able to listen to uncompressed LPCM audio. On some movies with a lot of sound effects and a fancy musical score, you can really notice the difference. Movies like Avatar and Inception, for example, really benefit from uncompressed LPCM, Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-HD audio.

I'll have to revisit NetFlix at some point.

Okay I got dish network,which is the PBS channel so I can record it since Sunday night I'm busy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Okay I got dish network,which is the PBS channel so I can record it since Sunday night I'm busy
    Are you not familiar with how PBS works? There is no national PBS channel. There are local PBS affiliates all over the country. So the channel number being used varies all over the country.

Go to Dishnetwork.com and look up the Channel Guides page there. Then select your programming package from the menu, and then enter your ZIP code. That will then show you what channels you have available to view.

Are you not familiar with how PBS works? There is no national PBS channel. There are local PBS affiliates all over the country. So the channel number being used varies all over the country.

Go to Dishnetwork.com and look up the Channel Guides page there. Then select your programming package from the menu, and then enter your ZIP code. That will then show you what channels you have available to view.

I had no idea,I do remember where my channel guide is tho.Thanks
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Love Ken Burns' THE CIVIL WAR, but I also gotta put a minor plug in for Ken Burns' THE GREAT WAR (I believe that's what it's called) on WWII.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Links