Personal experiences with interesting aircraft?

This is a discussion on Personal experiences with interesting aircraft? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This current thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...check-out.html made me think of this related question. What interesting aircraft have you had some unusual personal experience with? For me: 1. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Personal experiences with interesting aircraft?

VIP Member

Personal experiences with interesting aircraft?

This current thread Aircraft Buffs, Check This Out! made me think of this related question.

What interesting aircraft have you had some unusual personal experience with?

For me:

1. B-52 When I was a kid, my neighbor invited me to the AF base and took me on an inside tour of one they were working on. Thanks for the thrill MSgt. (he died in a B-52 crash a few years later)

2. SR-71 Blackbird Up close look at one at a museum. Awesome

3. B-24 Paid for 45 minute group ride on one of the few that remains airworthy. I was expecting "John Wayne" to be our pilot, but when I finally finished crawling, bouncing, and being tossed at the flight deck, I looked up at the pilot and she looked much like my 30 year old daughter. I expected her to turn to me and say "hey Dad".

4. B-17 Paid for hour group ride which included about 10 minutes of flying time. Later, I happened to be in the bombadiers seat when the pilot "buzzed the field" to conclude our "mission", on landing I was lucky again to stand right behind the pilot looking over his shoulder as we landed. Fantastic experience.

My father was an aircraft mechanic for most of WWII and I grew up hearing his stories and experiences, so my interest has always been high on WWII planes. My limited experience with those two old bombers helped me understand a tiny bit of what he experienced.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I was sitting in the jump seat of a A319 (airbus) during a landing at MSP. The crosswind/crabbing was so bad that I had to look out of the side windows to see the runway as we approached. The pilot straightened her out at the last second and BANG we hit hard. It was a total white-knuckler.

After the landing the pilots told me that they were scared too.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Took a ride in an F-18 that will ruin my experience with amusement park rides forever. Flew in a Galaxy something that the tail and cock pit opened up on so tanks and vehicles could drive on and off.
    Jumped from OV-10 Broncos and C 130s.

After service worked for Delta Airlines where I worked with 727s,737s, MD-80s, and 1 L1011
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    I dont think it was an interesting aircraft but it was an interesting and unusual personal experience..

Back in my Navy days...
    Me a few of my compadres needed to be somewhere else,at that time we were off the coast of Masira. We left the flight deck of the U.S.S. Constellation from a Chinook...a big helo with two rotors. As we were lifting off and doing a port turn, alarms started going off.
    We were but a few feet from the flight deck, and hovering over the water and something caused that helo to vibrate so fast and hard that you literally couldn't even see. When I saw the pilots going in the panic mode, I thought we were going to get wet. They got the helo straigtend out but we started losing altitude slowly, we were dropping below the level of the flight deck and the aircrewman prompted us to get into the crash postition. We had dropped to level of the hanger deck, and somehow we started gaining altitude. The whole craft was shaking so badly that I thought it was going to come apart. We finally got up above the flight deck and the pilot angled the helo over it and then we dropped straight down...probably 15 feet or so. The helo hit the flight deck so hard that it bounced several feet high. Members of the crash and salvage team were already there making sure we got out safely as we ran from the craft and into the superstructure. We assembled in a ready room where we all talked about it and let our nerves settle down a bit.

About 20 minutes later, we boarded another Chinook. I can honestly say that it was the only time I was ever concerned about not making it where I was supposed to.

There is nothing quite like being on a helo and hearing the pilots scream... MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY... as you are convinced you are about to go swimming.

That event is when my hair starting turning gray...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Chinook is always interesting , and you were lucky. Here are some who weren't

Watch Chinook Helicopter Fell off Carrier Video | Break.com
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

A friend's uncle was XO of an F-16 squadron. Our buddy took us along to meet his uncle. The landing was scheduled, and as we watched him land at the Air Force base-he held the nose wheel off for what seemed like a half mile after landing the main wheels. We were in uniform, and saluted him as he walked up to meet us. When the pilot of a military aircraft lands for the purpose of meeting you (or his nephew-next to you) it takes on a new kind of cool!
    Fast is good but accurate is better.

Riding in the back of a C130 from Bosnia to Rhein Mein AFB in Frankfurt.
    Blackhawk ride
    Seeing SR71 up close (museum)
    Seeing F22 up close (museum)
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Riding an H3 to an unscheduled water landing and then doing the same with a H52 a few years later. Both flew home after some on scene nursing but made for "E Ticket" afternoons. Too many hours sitting facing sideways on the flight deck of a C130 (pressurized Dimpsy Dumpster).

Combat landings in a C-130, if you have never done one, don't.

The "Helo dunker" Not an actual aircraft, but still entertaining.

Seeing AH-1 Cobra's put everything they had right where we needed it.

And this one was in training, but watching an AC-130 rain hatred down, especially at dusk.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Hmmmm...

I almost had a CH-47 land on top of me while it was coming in to extract us in complete brown out at Yakima. It missed by about 2', and blew away my M-60 and tripod.

Jumped a C-5 - it can't slow down as much as other aircraft, so the opening shock was a bit...startling.

Been "under" AC-130 while he was working.

Seen mini-guns tear up bunkers where the plywood on them looked like they had been cut with a saw rather than hit with bullets - one contiguous "tear" instead of holes.

Served as a door gunner in an Mi-24 (gotta love the OPFOR).

Jumped an AN-2 Colt bi-plane. Towed jumper recovery procedures consisted of driving an F-350 down the runway, flying the plane over top of it, and having the jumpmaster cut you free while guys in the bed of the truck hauled you in. Yeah, it sounds crazy, but they had mattresses in the truck bed, so it was all good. (Gotta love the OPFOR).

Rode on the skid of an AH-6 Little Bird. Almost fell out of an OH-6 when the pilot decided to take evasive maneuvers while I was in the middle of readjusting my position (I only had 1/4 of a cheek in the bird!)

Air Assaulted from an Mi-8. (Gotta love the OPFOR).

Got "killed" by a Hellfire shot from an AH-64, and by the 20mm cannon of an A-10 (apparently they don't like it when you flip them off...have I mentioned that you gotta love the OPFOR?)

Called in an airstrike from a B-2 to get two bad guys. Overkill? What's that?

Had an EA-6B detonate a massive IED on an exfil route, about 20 minutes before we would have gotten there.

tested to see if you could jump a Dragon... It turns out you can, if you're tall enough, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Jumped C-130, C-141, CH-47, UH-1, UH-60, C-5, AN-2...

Rode on, fast roped and/or or repelled from CH-53, AH-6, C-17, Mi-24, Mi-8, the Presidential Plane of Colombia, the private plane of Saudi Prince Bandar (when he was the Saudi Ambassador to the US)...

Been on Air Force One (though never flown on it).

Man, for a "ground pounder" I've spent a lot of time in aircraft, haven't I?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Hotguns and PPkheat, you guys are making the "Go Navy" part of me cringe. That aircraft is a CH-46 Sea Knight, not one of those sissy Army birds. :)
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Hotguns and PPkheat, you guys are making the "Go Navy" part of me cringe. That aircraft is a CH-46 Sea Knight, not one of those sissy Army birds. :)
    I got my information from a news reporter and she also told me it was armed with AK-47's and Glocks. She looked woozy when she mentioned that each "clip" held more than 10 cop-killer bullets. She's an expert journalist and must know what she's talking about?

VIP Member
    Rode O-2Bs and C-47s with the 9th SOS at DaNang, dropped leaflets and played ChuHoy tapes.

Worked on an SR-71 at Eglin installing flight test mods.

Got rides on an OV-10 and a B-52H at Eglin.

1000+ hours as a C-141 FE. Got to spend three days at Midway after ingesting a gooney bird on landing.

4000+ hours as an FE on C-5s, almost lost a landing gear over Altus, wound up landing with both forward landing gear kneeled. Another time lost a compressor blade on #3 engine which blew out the whole turbine section.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    4000+ hours as an FE on C-5s, almost lost a landing gear over Altus, wound up landing with both forward landing gear kneeled. Another time lost a compressor blade on #3 engine which blew out the whole turbine section.
    IIRC I saw my first C-5 sometime in the 1970's (?) at BAFB. What a stunner, that thing is HUGE.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    IIRC I saw my first C-5 sometime in the 1970's (?) at BAFB. What a stunner, that thing is HUGE.
    Oh but you should see the box it came in.
    mkphillips likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links