Kayak or Canoe?

Kayak or Canoe?

This is a discussion on Kayak or Canoe? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I had been planning on (saving for) a Tandem Kayak for me and my wife. In a recent discussion with friends I’m starting to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kayak or Canoe?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Kayak or Canoe?

Well, I had been planning on (saving for) a Tandem Kayak for me and my wife. In a recent discussion with friends I’m starting to lean more towards a Canoe.

One main reason for the Kayak in the first place is - we have a 2 dr Jeep Wrangler Soft top. A Kayak or Canoe will fit right on top & go anywhere we go in the Jeep without having to "trailer" any other boat.

Couple reasons for this chance of mind: One is the sitting position, Kayak is okay for my “Old Guy” back for a little while but not for a long time & the other reason is “gators”. We have em in the creek in our back yard from time to time & if you get out a little there’s more of a chance you’ll come up on even more of them. A Canoe would feel a little better with its higher sides than the low riding Kayak when a gator is close.
    Any comments, opinions on this?
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    I grew up in canoes and john boats, in serious gator country. If your purpose is primarily to get from point A to point B on the water (and carry a bit of stuff with you for when you get there), a canoe is hard to beat. Of course, I haven't had much experience with kayaks (except ocean kayaks, and that's a whole 'nother story), so my opinion isn't the most well-informed... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Big fan of the kayak myself; canoe or kayak either one I think you will find them hard to conceal …

Canoe? How's your knees?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Kayak technique involves learning to roll. That's not something you want to do in gator or snake infested water.

I'd prefer a kayak myself, but since it will be you and the Wife, and the possibility of gators I'd then vote for the canoe. This option also gives you more flexibility in taking stuff in the water with you, like a large cooler and folding chairs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    canoe or kayak either one I think you will find them hard to conceal
    Just don't use IWB and you might get away with it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Air boat, definitely an air boat! You'll need a trailer though!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Administrator
    It depends on the water. For me, the rivers near me and my purpose, I like a yak. But, canoes are fun and can carry more stuff if you have deep enough water. The downsides to a canoe is that they are heavier and less maneuverable both on land and in water. The pluses are more cargo weight and they make a dandy shooting platform for riverside squirrel hunting.
    Yaks are a lot more maneuverable and can use shallower water, but they do take a little more skill to use safely.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Yaks are fun however a tandem is called a divorce boat for a reason . Depending on the kayak you may get a very stable boat or not. you will be closer to the water with a kayak. I would suggest trying as many as possible to see what would fit for you and yours.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have both and a john boat. Before you make a choice check out the Hobbiecat Mirage Outback. I have two of them and they are awesome. Canoes and kayaks alike come in different designs for different purposes. Are you planning on using it in the big creek area or more coastal? Either way you will be able to find a kayak or canoe that suits your needs, just do a little research. I find the outback Mirage works better under more conditions form lakes to creeks to open ocean. As far as I know the only white water you have in your area is about 100 yds on Styx River and that might not even be there any more.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Solo, I'd rather be in a kayak. Tandem, a canoe is the way to go. I've been paddling since before I can remember. If I'm in a kayak, I don't like depending on anybody else. You can control a kayak a lot more than a canoe, but a canoe will be more stable.

When we go, I take a kayak if I'm wanting a workout and to play (sportwise). I take a canoe if I'm lazy and wanting to drink beer instead.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I know this wasn't a choice, but having been in both kayaks and canoes I can say I think this is the best...
    You feel a little foolish at first, but you get over it! Maybe some of you have tried this as well, it's a simple plastic cattle tank. About 8-9' diameter with a plywood floor, seats 5 adults and one black lab. Fully loaded with 'gear' (coolers) and occupants, it floated thru channels where canoes were dragging bottom.

I'm from Iowa, so gators are not my thing. If I were going down a river where I had to think about them, this would be my choice! You simply can't tip it over. Very relaxing, in fact, we put a small table in the middle and play cards as we float down the river. Another benefit, it's not a boat. The DNR doesn't make you keep a license on it, we did however throw some life jackets under our chairs in case they wanted to get picky.

I know that all the traditional die-hard outdoorsmen reading this are rolling their eyes right now

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/...running001.jpg
    Bkrazy likes this.

I've done my fair share of canoeing around creeks and swamps when I lived in FL, and can tell you from personal experience you're going to end up in the water anyway. With two people and a cooler and/or camping gear, at some point you will hit bottom and have to jump out to push it along. All told its still comforting to not be eye level with a gator because you're sitting in a kayak.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I have plenty of experience with kayaks since I own an Expedition Cobra Kayak and have made lots of long-distance treks in the North Pacific Ocean of Costa Rica. One time I was doing a 20 kilometer solo ride and ran into a couple of bull sharks that cruised by very closely to me. I felt very unsafe since my distance from the top of the kayak to the shark in the water was very short and the fact that I could easily flip over if I made a mistake, got nervous or if they decided to become aggressive and strike me from underneath. Therefore, I would strongly advise against a kayak in gator country since it would be very dangerous and gators are far more aggressive, territorial and powerful than a shark. This could get worse if you are riding in a tandem kayak because if one person gets nervous with a gator, then you could flip over and things will get nasty. Another positive reason of a canoe over a kayak, is that you can carry more stuff with you. The only downside of the canoe is that is heavier than the kayak so you will need lots of strength to load and unload it from and to your jeep and then carry it to the water. This could be a problem especially if your wife cannot assist you or if she is on the weak side.

Therefore, stay on the safe side and get a canoe but work on the logistics of loading/unloading it.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I have plenty of experience with kayaks since I own an Expedition Cobra Kayak and have made lots of long-distance treks in the North Pacific Ocean of Costa Rica. One time I was doing a 20 kilometer solo ride and ran into a couple of bull sharks that cruised by very closely to me. I felt very unsafe since my distance from the top of the kayak to the shark in the water was very short and the fact that I could easily flip over if I made a mistake, got nervous or if they decided to become aggressive and strike me from underneath. Therefore, I would strongly advise against a kayak in gator country since it would be very dangerous and gators are far more aggressive, territorial and powerful than a shark. This could get worse if you are riding in a tandem kayak because if one person gets nervous with a gator, then you could flip over and things will get nasty. Another positive reason of a canoe over a kayak, is that you can carry more stuff with you. The only downside of the canoe is that is heavier than the kayak so you will need lots of strength to load and unload it from and to your jeep and then carry it to the water. This could be a problem especially if your wife cannot assist you or if she is on the weak side.

Therefore, stay on the safe side and get a canoe but work on the logistics of loading/unloading it.
    I think you hit the nail on the head about the two key issues; stability and being right on if not below the water line. In a sit-in kayak your bottom is below the water line. That is what give the boat stability. It also means the rest of the boat is only inches above the water surface. That's no place to be when there are aggressive large animals around. If there is a serious gator or snake issue, even a canoe may not be a really good idea. A sturdy flat bottom with a really shallow draft might be safer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links